“A Culinary Perfection” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bado La Poele D or - CLOSED

Bado La Poele D or
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Altstadt-Nord
Helsinki, Finland
“A Culinary Perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

Visiting La Poêle d'Or was an absolute perfection to our 4-person trip to Rhine Valley cities. Service was superb, even when our mixed group was too agitated to start lunch in best possible mood. Everything which was served gave impression of perfection both in taste and in (sometimes playful) appearance. My brother and mother found veal as main course to be their best veal ever while I enjoyed hugely my guinea fowl. And of all the several extras: soup with quail egg was simply the No 1 soup of my life. From the beginning of our lunch to the very best end I must confess that overall quality of this restaurant is closer to 2-star ones than to the other 1-star ones which I have visited.

• Visited May 2013

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“I highly recommend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

Yes, the prices are high. Yes, the portions are small. This is a wonderful little restaurant featuring absolutely wonderful haut cuisine, where high prices and small portions are the norm. The service is excellent, the selection is quite limited but very well done, and if those small dishes don't satisfy your appetite, make your last course the cheese selection. The cheese cart the wheel out is enormous, with an outstanding selection to choose from. I highly recommend.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

This is a real hidden gem and I didn't find any problem with the street, it's perfectly fine and runs just parallel to the main street. The staff are really friendly & professional, the restaurant and the menu may not be large but the decor is well thought out and the dishes are seasonal, creative & of a very high standard, far better than any other restaurant I have visisted so far in Cologne! The wine list is also very well though out, the German house Chardonnay was really nice! I think they recently won a Michelin star which further demonstrates the quality of cuisine.

If you have any requests or dietary requirements the team, from the front of house manager to the chef will do their best to accommodate your needs and make a real effort to make sure you enjoy your experience.

I'm looking forward to visiting this restaurant again on my next visit to Cologne and would recommend it to anyone!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank 4seasonsin1day
Maastricht, The Netherlands
“La Poêle d'or (one* Michelin)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013

Small but lovely restaurant in the centre of Cologne. Just five minutes walk from Hauptbahnhof and Dom in the Komödienstrasse.
Prices are reasonable, thoud € 9.50 for a bottle of water and € 10,- for a single glass of wine is a bit too nusch I think. Lots of amuses in between. Almos too many. The chef de cuisine seems to be a showmaster. Tast/flavoures: excellent. Food, we had coquilles as primus and deer as main course were fantastic. Total bill: € 175 whih is really a good price for a lovely evening. Good, friendly staff.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank harry_puts
Brussels
“Superb, refined, elegant dining.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

Allow me to dispel some misconceptions about the area. The restaurant is situated on a quiet tree lined street in a good area of Cologne, 5 minutes walk from the main railway station If the visitor cares to look up and wander along the street they will be impressed by some stunning architecture.
The restaurant received three stars in the German food guide Feinschmeker. It hasn't been awarded a Michelin star as yet, but maybe that's a blessing because the food, wine and ambience, although not cheap offers the visitor a most enjoyable value for money experience.
A choice of a la carte or traditional menu are available. We chose the five course menu at 79 euros. Our taste buds were aroused by the amuse-bouche . The first was an oyster doused with a grapefruit granita - refreshing and delicious that really made us feel the intent of purpose in creating delicious food. The next offering: small cylinders of marinated fish, beef and foie gras were intensely delicious.
The first course, a salad of veal head with foie gras was intensely delicious. I can 't recall tasting a better foie gras dish.
The second course of langoustine and lobster on duck aspic with wild herbs was beautifully constructed and sumptuous.
The third course of Lamb and sea bass were delicious.
We then moved on to the cheese board: all were made from raw milk and with authentic flavors.
Finally, with our senses and stomachs content and bloated, we moved into the mango desert. Perhaps that was a dish too many for us as we didn't quite appreciate it.
The wine list is extensive and reasonably priced. The sommelier was excellent and directed us through the evening. We tried some fabulous German reds.

• Visited October 2012