“Perfect location for our visit.”

Novum Hotel Unique Dortmund Hauptbahnhof
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Dortmund
stoke on trent
“Perfect location for our visit.”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My son and I stayed here for two nights because we were going to the german super cup final at signal iduna park. We arrived at the hbf(dortmund central train station) hotel is literally a 5 minute walk around the corner, it is right opposite the main shops, including large indoor shopping centre. On arrival it is very impressive, we had organised an early check in and a late checkout of which we had no problems with, reception staff were very friendly, informative and polite. Everywhere was spoltlessly clean throughout, room was a good size, plenty of storage space, large tv and a safe, bathroom was pleasant with a fantastic power shower, fast, free wifi too, I would recommend hotel to anyone, we would definatly stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Patras, Greece
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Pros:
Best location and easy access from Düsseldorf Airport via train.
It is located near (5' walk) by the central Dortmund train station (Dortmund HBF).
Right outside there is metro stop also.
City center is 5' walk, pedestrian road starts in front of the hotel.
Rent a bike service is right outside the hotel http://www.nextbike.de/de/
Do rent a bike and make a ride
Room is fine, big.
Good and stable WiFi.

Cons:
No AC in the room.
Cannot charge into the room certain expenses from the lobby bar e.g. drinks or espresso. You have to pay straight away.
Personnel behavior.

I would like to elaborate on the personnel behavior a bit. There were two cases I was disappointed.

First, there was a 'false alarm' to evacuate the Hotel on Sunday morning ~06:15am !!! OK, these things happen, that's fine with me. They say better safe than sorry. The problem is that the reception personnel did not do anything to revert the situation. When I returned from the street into the building (after the evacuation via the security exits), I found them sitting behind their desk. When I asked what is happening they told me calmly that I may return back to my room. I would expect an apology or even a coffee offered for the whole trouble!

Second, espresso is not included in the breakfast. Again, that is fine with me, few hotels do offer espresso in breakfast. So what usually happens, is that I ask the personnel and they bring me the espresso and of course I have to pay straight away in cash. However there was a time when the male-personnel refused to bring me the espresso. The answer was that I should go the bar myself in front in the lobby. How am I supposed to do this when I have all my things in the breakfast table. Leave my things unattended and go get an espresso from the bar??!!

:-(

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Chose hotel because of price, but was pleasantly delighted by great location next to the pedestrian shopping area right in the center of the city. Room was good size, very clean and well maintained. Fast free internet. Did not use any special facilities or eat at the hotel. Can recommend for business travelers as well, location is just perfect.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
NovumGroupHotels, Guest Relation Assistant at Novum Hotel Unique Dortmund Hauptbahnhof, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your nice review.
We are delighted that you had a nice time in Dortmund.
We would be glad to welcome you again in one of our Novum Hotels.

Faithfully Yours

Unique Team
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

A very comfortable and spacious hotel in the shopping district. An easy 10 minute walk from the central station and close to the city centre amenities. The rooms were large with plenty of room for 2-3 people. The reception area and bar was very impressive. Welcoming and helpful staff, all for a very reasonable price. A great little pub next door and easy access to the U-Bahn station.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AlanMarch
Royersford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 May 2014

After having a business meeting we stopped here for the night before the next meeting, it was a nice hotel and the staff was very helpful. The reception area is very impressive and gives that true European fair, drinks at the bar were nice also. Nice walk to the shopping district which was very convenient.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
San Antonio
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This is a beautiful hotel in the heart of Dortmund shopping District! However it has no air-conditioning. While there are some large windows, the traffic from the shopping area is loud until 1am. It does lack some of the little amendities that would make it a great hotel like a luggage rack.
So if your going during the winter months, this is great hotel but avoid it during the summer months.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank William H
NovumGroupHotels, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Novum Hotel Unique Dortmund Hauptbahnhof, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear William,

Thank you for your review and your honest words, regarding you stay in our Hotel Unique.
Of course, we have passed your comments about the amnities in the room and the airconditioning to our managment.
We want to apologize very much for the resulting inconvenience.

Kind regards,

Unique Team
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The black marble which covers the Reception / Entrance area to this hotel gives a very grand impresssion. The actual experience of staying here is a little more basic but I enjoyed my stay here & I found it very good value.
Location is very convenient simply exit the Hauptbahnhof turn right & follow the arc of the road & you're there. 5 mins from main station - U bahn stop is even nearer. I booked single room but seemed to end up with large double. Standout feature was large bathroom with large bathtub & shower which was very welcome. Cleanliness was excellent.
Large double bed was quite firm but was fine for me but may not suit everybody. The road outside is very busy & light sleepers may have problems. I was on 4th floor & slept well both nights I was there. Buffet breakfast was ok but a little basic nevertheless probably worth 9.99 euro by hotel standards. Only negatives no minbar or fridge in room & was asked for payment immediately on arrival & was not allowed a tab at bar to pay upon leaving.There is no real food on offer outside of breakfast, However the Pfefferkorn restaurant adjoins the hotel & it overlooks one end of Westenhellweg so there's plenty of options nearby.
Overall I would certainly recommend Unique Novum for a short city stay & I would certainly stay here again if & when in Dortmund. .

Room Tip: Ask if you need a soft bad as mine was very firm - ok for me but may not be for some.