“First class hotel but confused staff”
Review of Melia Duesseldorf

Melia Duesseldorf
Ranked #14 of 237 Hotels in Dusseldorf
Barcelona, Spain
“First class hotel but confused staff”
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

It's been 13 weeks since I stayed at this hotel but unfortunatelly all the negative things still remain.
I sent a feedback to the management regarding my last experience but no improvement has been made whatsoever.
A lot of TV chanells are still not working, so I was only able to watch German talk shows and news.
My minibar, coffee machine capsules and cups were not refilled when the room was cleaned.

All the rest was as expected. Spa is great, my room was excellent, super clean and well mantained. Bathroom was good with nice walk in shower but lacking of a water pressure.
Breakfast was as expected. I used the vouchers for it. The regular price of 25€ was too much!

The staff needs to improve urgently. They are slow, lost and not proactive. They would send you from one side to another and push the problem or customer's needs to another colleague. The also have a lack of communication between them. But as I already experienced this, I was not particulary unhappy.
On the good side I would like to point out the nice little beach-bar in front of the hotel where you could relax.
The last night I had the best club sandwich in my life!!!

I have stayed in almost all Meliá hotels and my final verdict is that the hotel should be a solid 3* only. But as you are only 5' away from Kö and the hotel is super modern...then I guess is what you pay for.

And for those who complained about the booking vouchers for 10 or 15€ which you get when booking through their web site, and then could not use them... You print the page and present it at the reception. Then the extras will be deducted at check out. It worked well for me!

I will definitely try another hotel for less when next time in Düsseldorf!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Ludwig70

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I stayed at the Melia for 2 nights. On arrival, the hotel is impressive, especially the sand and deck chairs at the front, which make for a great summer feeling. The room was decent size and had a nice view over the park.
The staff were helpful - I tried to book a massage and they weren't able to fit me in, but they made a point of calling me to offer another time (I couldn't do). They also provided me with helpful recommendations on where to go in the city.
However, I felt that things within the hotel were expensive - wifi price was about 10 euros, the drinks were not cheap, breakfast was over 20 euros.
The cleaning service wasn't great. I had ordered room service on the first night, and on coming back to my room on the second day, they still hadn't cleared my tray (although they had obviously been to clean the room).
Overall, a nice hotel, but I would look to stay somewhere cheaper for a future stay in Dusseldorf. The price of the hotel didn't match the experience.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in June. We arrived at about 6pm on Friday, spent the whole of the next day at a wedding and left at midday on Sunday so didn't necessarily spend a lot of time there but the time we did spend at the hotel was pretty perfect. Our room was on the 6th or 7th floor, very decent size with a modern bathroom and generally quiet. The hotel is a 10-15 minute walk from the Altstadt. Although it's not slap bang in the city centre the location is actually really nice, opposite the Hofgarten park and an easy walk to the city centre, Altstadt and the Rhein. We had breakfast in the hotel on Saturday morning which wasn't included in the rate and cost about EUR 50 for the two of us. The buffet was very nice but I genuinely don't think anyone can eat EUR 25 worth of breakfast ;-) For that reason we didn't think it was good value for money. There are probably plenty of places around where you can eat breakfast for cheaper but as we needed to leave early for the wedding on Saturday we didn't really have time to look around for a café. The hotel was clean and quiet and everything was in good order. Staff were pleasant, didn't bowl me away with their customer service but neither do I have any reason to complain about it. I'd definitely stay here again if I were in Duesseldorf.

europe
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We have stayed on various occasions at Melia but this was a downward spiral from the start. When checking in we were told that our 2 room booking did not come through correctly and they only had one room. The other room would be a smoking room. Clearly that was totally unacceptable. We were told that the next day there would be a non smoking room available. All the staff did was apologise. When asked if they would provide my colleague with a free breakfast or a drink in the bar he was told that's not possible but that he would get an upgraded room the next day. In my opinion management has not thought this through. You left a customer unhappy and have him an upgraded room. This is not a good handling of the situation since a room is a room. However you had an opportunity to impress your customer by giving him a free breakfast since this does not cost you any extra since the buffet is already paid for by the hotel. Even a couple of free glasses of wine at the bar would have pacified us. Next morning when going to the breakfast room I asked for the 'business breakfast' which allows one trip to the buffet. I was told that it was no longer available. But I could have a speed breakfast in my room which contains of 3 croissants (who eats 3 croissants for breakfast?). I decided to have no breakfast in the hotel but somewhere else. Again you missed an opportunity to earn some money. I'd happily pay my 14euros for the business breakfast but was not prepared to pay 26 euros on the buffet. I paid my money somewhere else. I have no issues with the room and the sleep quality. The evening staff in the restaurant was very friendly. The reception staff is let down by slow computer systems. When my key card did not work it took a few minutes to rectify this. Too long. This has been a disappointing visit to a hotel we started to like. The situations we experienced could have been handled a lot better. The icing on the cake was when I was asked at check out if I enjoyed my stay and I replied 'not really', I was told the hiccup at check in with the rooms was down to the fact the hotel was full and did not have anything to do with reservation system. So please, if you tell us a reason why things don't work please stick to one story. I have always been a fan of Melia hotels but feel I have to change my mind.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank trixitrixi
California City, California
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We booked three nights here but sadly missed train leaving Paris and so couldn't arrive until 2nd night. Although I sent an email explaining what happened, we were still charged for the three nights. Besides that issue, we were pleased with the style and cleanliness of the hotel. Staff were pleasant and helpful. Location was ideal to walk to the old town area, just ten minutes through the park. Many shops, bars, pubs, and restaurants located there. However, we were disappointed to discover that unfortunately everything is closed on a Sunday except for dining. As another reviewer pointed out, it is a short taxi ride to the airport. Our cost on a Monday morning was 14.50 euro. for two, which we thought was a bargain. We would stay here again.

Baton Rouge
Reviewed 25 June 2013

The Melia-Dusseldorf achieves what might seem to be impossible: convenient seclusion. Perched on the north tip of the Hofgarten (the city park) in busy Dusseldorf, the Melia feels rural despite standing no more than a few minutes walk from the shopping, business, and historic areas of this bustling city. Not only is an expansive park directly out the front door, but the Rhine River flows by only a few blocks to the west, all while the nearby ancient city center abounds with pubs, cafes, restaurants, and boutiques. Already amazingly quiet, the Melia Hotel deepens its air of tranquility with pleasing if unusual pale jade green and earth-tone color schemes. Memorable but not obtrusive, the relaxed but modern design and furnishing of the rooms captures this interesting mix of urban engagement with bucolic ease. The hotel staff--especially the reception--is well-trained. They combine graciousness with efficiency and friendliness with competence. The placement of the hotel on the north side of the city also makes for an easy connection to the airport. A taxi fare for two was less expensive than a return to the train station and a commute with public airport. Thus, travelers will carry the sense of refreshment with them during an easy departure.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 21 June 2013

stayed for 4 nights. No. 1 reason - location, close to a beautiful park with hares running around. The room is well made & the bathroom is also good. The breakfast layout is good, but no hot food (I guess this is something which is a norm in europe). Free wifi was helpful.
Nothing to be seen from the window, could have given a 5 star to the hotel if I would have been given a park facing room.
Overall the experience is nice!

Room Tip: Park facing room