“Flawless!”

Hyatt Regency Dusseldorf
Ranked #4 of 240 Hotels in Dusseldorf
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed one night in this great hotel. A wonderful view on the former harbour, a beautifully decorated room and impeccable and friendly service. I still have to contact the hotel to ask about mattress - I want exactly the same at home.
Excellent wifi in the room, just a little bit difficult to get connected. The gym and spa was just fine.
Wish I could stay in a hotel like this all the time.

Room Tip: Choose a room with view on the harbour.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HRDUSSE, Geschäftsführer at Hyatt Regency Dusseldorf, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dearest Guest,

We just can express our sincere thanks for your excellent hotel review for Hyatt Regency Dusseldorf.
It makes me very proud to hear that you confirm the engagement of our team.

How great that you enjoyed our hotel bed mattress that much, you are planning to use them also for your private home.
Please feel free to contact us, and we will be glad to provide you with further information.

Looking forward to continue hosting you during your future stays in beautiful Dusseldorf City we remain,

Reviewed 18 June 2014

One of the best hotels in Düsseldorf. Very modern and tasteful designed hotel with great rooms overlooking the Media Harbor. Great location in the media harbor, walking distance to the Old town and Shopping district of Königsallee and a cab ride to the CBD.

Small gym and Sauna could be better, a pool would definitely add to the properties value. German national football squad stays at Hyatt before their games in Düsseldorf.

Lots of bars and restaurants in 5 minutes walking distance, and lovely views from most of the rooms.

Room Tip: Higher floor facing the river
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
HRDUSSE, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Dusseldorf, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Dusseldorf and taking the time to express your satisfaction about our hotel on Tripadvisor.

We are very glad to hear, that we fully met your expectations and now became one of your favorite hotels.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Very modern, comfortable hotel. Rooms are great, service is excellent. The hotel is a bit far from the business district, but within walking distance to old town area with many great restaurants. Would stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room, the view will be awesome.
Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dearest guest,

Thank you very much for very positive feedback via Tripadvisor.

We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our hotel´s location so much.
The entire Hyatt Regency Dusseldorf Family looks forward to continue hosting you in the future.

With best regards,

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I stayed four nights here on business, and was deeply unimpressed. The location of the hotel is awkward, in the up-and-coming middle harbour district. Plenty of offices and good cafes and bars around, but a long way from the shops, the Altstadt, the station and the city centre. My room was very average; nice view over the river, but in my opinion poorly designed. Tiny bath, almost unusable, and no privacy in the shower, just a plain glass window which means you have to have the curtains closed on lower floors while you shower. The sink had no working plug, so washing was more difficult. Uncomfortable bed, but the worst aspect was the air conditioning - the whole floor was vey warm, and the air con just didn't get the room temperature down enough for my taste. It's one of those hotels where the room key card operates the room electrics, so no air con working if you're out working all day, and despite my asking twice for staff to leave the key in the slot housekeeping kept removing the key.
That said, the two bars were real party places for the beautiful well-heeled Germans who worked in the nearby fashion district, or visited the bar because it was full of good-looking rich young people. I'm married, but I'm sure young single guys would have fun - if you can afford the bar prices!
The German football team was staying here, so there were crowds outside all day and security all over the hotel, but it didn't cause a problem.
Only had breakfast in the restaurant - pretty good choice of foods, but coffee quality horribly variable. If you get a pot, it tastes good, but if they just give you a cup it's Nespresso or similar - not to my taste again.
Hotel looks great, but I'd sooner have good air con, a usable sink and a comfortable bed than a trendy design-led hotel. Disappointing.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor facing the river, better views.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank StationeryTraveller

Dearest Guest,

Feedback is always welcomed at Hyatt Regency Dusseldorf, as it assists us in perfecting and individualizing our product & services for our valued guests.

Thank you very much for informing us about the challenge you had regarding the air condition in your guest room, which we already followed up with our Housekeeping Team, in order to guaranty a comfortable room temperature, especially now during the warm summer days.

For a possible new stay we recommend you to try out one of our guest rooms with a classical closed bathroom, which will definitely suit perfectly with your needing for more privacy and space.

Your comment regarding our guest room beds is quite astonishing for us, as usually our guests find them extremely comfortable.
Surely we want to be flexible for our guests, and either the bed is too hard or weak for you we can prepare it accordingly.

Also for the coffee we offer and as per personal taste of our guests, we have a selection of various coffee types, and would be more than happy to find together with you your personal favorite.

We hope that you will give us a second opportunity to host you during your next stay in Dusseldorf City and we will be more than happy to adapt to your personal preferences and make you feel just more than welcome.

Please feel free to contact me personally for a new reservation.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

This is a beautiful property in a relatively small German town....took us by surprise in terms of service quality, room service and overall ambience. The lobby desk was eager to accommodate our requests...the look from our suite on the 15th floor was simply amazing. Rate it as among the best hotels I have stayed at in Germany.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
HRDUSSE, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Dusseldorf, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dearest Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on Tripadvisor and your comments regarding the friendly and professional service of our staff.

Please be assured that I was very happy to share your kind words already with the entire hotel team, as this really means the best motivation for us to keep up our efforts in providing authentic hospitality.

We surely look forward to keep hosting you during your future visits in beautiful Dusseldorf City.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

This is a super hotel in a super location, unfortunately it is staffed by far too many folks who are used to saying "no" and "not possible", two of the phrases one alas hears far too often in this otherwise wonderful country. At the prices these folks charge, this is completely unacceptable. Also, apparently in Duesseldorf the Hyatt hotel is an "in" place to go, so these folks think they're something special, so the attitude is over-the-top and, frankly, I was pretty annoyed by the time I was done. I pay for service not attitude, somebody please send these folks that memo.

A number of things are really good about the place:

1. They have valet parking, doormen who jump to help collect your luggage.

2. The location in the "media harbor" is super. At night it's a "cool" neighborhood with restaurants and bars (Gehry's has the best steaks I've had anywhere in Germany, the Meerbar is very cool, particularly with both when the weather is nice and you can sit outside, it's almost like being on vacation in the Caribbean and not on a business trip). If you walk 15 minutes towards the Rhine, then you're in a park with grass and trees along the Rhine, another few minutes and over a bridge and you're really almost in a rural setting with a sand beach (yes, a sand beach!) along the Rhine, bike trails, absolutely terrific in good weather. You're really out of the crowded bustle of Duesseldorf, which is very nice.

3. The restaurants have really good food, I particularly like the sashimi, which I've even gotten "takeout" and eaten on the road.

4. Corner rooms and suites are stunning, though the "standard" rooms are particularly small, which when you're paying EUR 400 / night (which I did on a prior stay) becomes severely annoying. The views from the hotel are super. The physical facilities are stunning, far better than at most Hyatt hotels. The top floor lounge is very expensive, but it is a nice, calm, quiet place to have breakfast or a beer at the end of a long day.

While many things about this hotel are right, it's really the attitude of too many of the staff that does not work. Remember, this place charges extreme prices and then I personally expect service, not attitude, on the other hand I spend 3 months per year living in hotels so maybe I have also gotten "picky". Anyway, a sampling of issues:

1. The folks in the Hyatt think they're something special. I've stayed here when the Swedish crown princess stayed there, rock stars supposedly stay there, in my most recent stay there were Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches and "lowly" BMW's (like my rental car) parked in front, that seems to have gone to these folks heads. On my second night, after driving 500+ Km and 4 separate substantive meetings in different cities during that first day and with my body rhythms completely out of whack owing to time zones, I pull up to the hotel again about 9 pm looking forward to a beer and bed, and a guy in a hotel uniform with a clipboard jumped in my way and told me I could not park at the hotel. This hotel offers valet parking, the garage (as I later saw when I went downstairs with the hotel manager to retrieve something I had forgotten in my car) was at least 1/2 empty, I was a paying overnight guest, and then in the evening when I'm dead exhausted I have to argue with a kid with a clipboard who apparently works for the hotel but doesn't know what valet parking is or that the hotel offers this for its guests. He only got out of the way when I switched to English (while I typically speak German with Germans, I have learned that in "discussions" it's better to force them to speak English) when I told him "Please get out of the way, I am going to drive up to the hotel now, valet park, and go to bed." Let me tell you, I pay to stay in hotels like this so that the service fits and I don't have to argue. At lunch the day before, I was with a client, and we wanted a larger portion of sashimi. Sashimi was in the lunch memu, but only the small "lunch" portion. Instead of simply either selling us 2 lunch portions apiece or the larger portion off the dinner menu, she told us this was not possible, we could have one small portion each. We persisted with further discussion, she went off to check, about 15 minutes (!) later she reported that we could have what we wanted. Come to think of it, lunch service was very slow, we had to wait, and wait, and wait, for drinks, for food, everything. Other hotel staff were similar, inflexible and very German, but we were in Germany after all, might as well enjoy it to the full.

2. I had paid 2x EUR 60 for lounge access (quite expensive - at Starwood hotels it's free!) as the breakfast in the Lounge in this hotel is quite good. At checkout I noticed that I had additionally been billed EUR 12 for breakfast in the restaurant as the second night's room rate apparently included breakfast. I asked them to take the EUR 12 breakfast off the bill as I only paid 1x for breakfast (EUR 60 for the Lounge), and not EUR 72 (EUR 60 for the lounge + EUR 12 for the included breakfast). This was a problem. The desk clerk argued quite vigorously with me for 10 or 15 minutes why this wasn't possible, a line of folks formed behind me, in the end it is only EUR 12 and I couldn't be late to my meeting because of this so I left having paid for breakfast twice. Several days later, while doing my expense report, I noticed (which I had not noticed when I checked out) that my hotel bill for my stay was addressed to someone else, not me, they had the wrong name on my invoice. The clerk who answered the phone when I called told me, sorry, I could not have a bill addressed to myself, apparently someone else from my firm had previously stayed in this hotel so in their system they associated her name with our firm so all invoices would need to be addressed to her.. I patiently explained that when I book via hyatt.com in my own name, stay myself, pay the bill myself, then I would like to have a bill addressed to me and not to one of my colleagues who may have stayed in the hotel on some other occasion. This was not possible... I had to ask for a supervisor several times before it occurred to her that she could generate a manual bill that would be addressed to me after all. However, then she discovered a new difficulty, why this again was not possible... She told me I would have to send her the "original" that I had received at checkout, only then could she send me a new bill. When I told her that I'm in the U.S. now and not about to fly back to Duesseldorf or to FedEx their laser-printed "original" back to them, I suggested that she generate something labeled "COPY" or "information copy" or something like that so there would not be 2 "originals", apparently a German tax issue... That option only became palatable after I said I'd write a TripAdvisor review. I don't care so much that the bill was initially addressed to the wrong person, mistakes happen, but the clerk should just have fixed it and moved on instead of arguing and arguing, I just don't want to have to pay high prices and then waste time and energy with senseless arguments with staff who simply don't want to do their jobs. When I stay in a hotel I'd like a bill that is addressed to me and not one of my colleagues who may have stayed there some months before and I do not want to pay twice for the same breakfast, that should be pretty simple to understand, no? I had other, similar experiences in other stays, but that's enough for now.

3. Shoeshining was also something they were incapable of doing - I gave them my scuffed shoes to shine and they came back untouched, unshined. Not the end of the world but the door man kept my EUR 5 tip nonetheless without having shined my shoes.

Bottom line, business travel is stressful enough, I don't want to have to pay top dollar and then argue with folks, that's simply no fun. I'm not sure if I'll ever stay here again, but there must be other places in Duesseldorf where I can stay, next time I'll check around or stay in Cologne, maybe the Dom Hotel will have reopened by now. I can also tell you from spending 75+ nights per year in Starwood hotels (Westin, Le Meridien, Sheraton, Luxury Collection), that Starwood in general and in Germany in particular treats you better, their employees have a better attitude, my tip for the day.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger, also rooms facing the Rhine and the "media harbor" have quite stu...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank GeorgiaJoe

Dear valued guest,

Feedback is always welcomed at Hyatt Regency Dusseldorf, as it assists us in perfecting our product & services for our valued guests.
Therefore we thank you very much for taking the time to inform us about the challenges you experienced regarding our service during your recent stay with us.

Our clear aim at Hyatt is to make our guests feel just more than welcome, and usually it is especially the friendliness and professionalism of our staff, which our guests point out very positive.
We surely always want to be flexible for our guests and go out of our ways to make their stay with us as comfortable as possible.

Therefore I was more than sorry to learn from your described experiences, that we missed our responsibility of being a perfect host to you.
Please be assured that this doesn´t reflect our actual standard and service, and I hereby express my sincere apologize to you.

I truly hope that you accept my personal excuse and that your trust in our hotel and in Hyatt can be regained.

For your next travel to beautiful Dusseldorf City, please feel free to contact me personally for a new stay with us, and my team and I will do our utmost to convince and delight you with our actual warm and friendly service then.

Remaining at your disposal and sending you kind regards,

Reviewed 28 May 2014

the hotel is a great for bussiness and getaway, very quait location, walk by the Rhine, great spa, room is clean with a nice view, breakfast and dinner with a list of choices, there are many good resturants close to the hotel, ..

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your excellent review and your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Dusseldorf.

We certainly want to be the perfect choice for our guests, either if the travel purpose is for business and/or leisure, and we are very glad that you can reconfirm this.

We look forward to hosting you on your next visits in beautiful Dusseldorf City and remain,

With kind regards,