“Average Hotel, Diabolical Breakfasts”

Hotel Dusseldorf City by Tulip Inn
Ranked #97 of 239 Hotels in Dusseldorf
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Hotel is perfectly acceptable no-frills base to discover Duesseldorf. Reception staff are courteous and helpful. But avoid the breakfasts.

For three days we went down well before the end of breakfast, but they had already run out of bacon, sausages, eggs, tea bags and glasses for fruit juice. We ended up with a roll and some cheese, but they still charged us 13.50 Euro.

Getting down to breakfast earlier didn't work either. We had to queue for 20 minutes to get in: there were free tables but the one member of staff on duty was more interested in putting the cutlery away than clearing the tables so we could sit down. He still didn't bring us any cutlery - but at least I knew where it was kept!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pauladawn0

Reviewed 12 November 2011

This hotel is located in Dusseldorf city. It takes 20 mts to reach airport .Nice hotel with peaceful ambience, lot of trees,quite supportive reception staff.Restaurant is quite good.Rooms are quite spacious with balcony for scenic beauty view.Hotel reception was prompt in arranging cabs for my visit to Duisburg as well as for airport drop.

Reviewed 25 October 2011

I just returned from A + A 2011 in Dusseldorf and a four day stay at the Best Western Majestic. This is a look at what I saw as the pros & cons to staying at this hotel. I generally write my reviews and cover the 'Great, Good, Bad, and Ugly' but . . . since there was nothing either particularly great or ugly about this hotel I will leave it to good & bad with some 'bottom line'-type comments. I will also answer THE most important review question - when I return will I stay there again (?) Ready? Here goes . . .

GOOD

* Rate: it was not originally my intention to stay at this hotel or even in this part of town but Best Western Majestic Dusseldorf (henceforth referred to in this review as BWMD) launched a special over my time whereby I was able to book for a base rate of USD $129 / night (approx E 90). Now, under 'normal' circumstances this would not necessarily be so great but . . . A + A is a show that usually draws 55,000 attendees and they were some 15% UP this year so hotel rooms were really expensive for the week and getting $129 / night was really fantastic. I compared this hotel to anything else I could get in that price range and it was FAR superior.

* Location: I generally try to stay a little further north when I attend this show but . . . came to find I might be better off in the BWMD area. There is excellent transportation options with the 703, 712, and 713 lines very close by which will take you to an S1 train line in one direction and the Heinrich-Hallee U-Bahn in the other and there is A LOT in this area. Many convenience options are almost right next to the hotel including a drug store, grocery store, cell phone store, nutritional supplement store, and . . .as much as I hate seeing them in Europe: a McDonalds (it was a welcome sight at breakfast time). And, old town itself is minutes away given the nearby tram stops.

* Facilities: The BWMD is NOT what you think about when you picture a 'business class' hotel. You will not be entertaining or wowing clients on hotel grounds, for example. But . . . it is not exactly 'spartan' either. The lobby would suggest a nicer hotel than the price range and it looked like the in-house restaurant was very nice too (skipped it as I found the breakfast rate a bit much). And, there is a nice sauna and work-out area downstairs too. These are VERY limited - especially the tiny work-out area - but in all fairness there were other hotels that were more expensive that did not offer these things at all. And, I had the sauna all to myself for my stay, a young couple walking in to check it out for a minute being the only other guests I ever saw.

* Staff: In limited interactions, I found the staff to be pleasant. I arrived way before check-in time and they didn't have a room for me but . . . they let me change and shower in the sauna area and let me store a few things until I came back later that day. A very lovely older female staff member was kind enough to take a few minutes to point out some things on a map for me as well. I don't always find this kind of attitude in Euro hotels.

* Rooms (good): I found the room size to be generous with a nice bathroom and wall-mounted soap dispenser(s) and . . . I loved the fact that the bathroom had it's own window - this is a rarity in hotels! My room also featured a good-sized high-definition tv with a lot of channel / language choices.

BAD (room for improvement)

* Rooms (bad): the very best hotel rooms (in all price ranges) greet you with that new, fresh feeling that YOU are the ony person to have ever stayed in that room. Well, at BWMD . . . that is NOT the case. There is no mistaking that many others have stayed in the rooms over a long time. Don't get me wrong . . . my room WAS clean. But, there was a bit of a tired feeling with badly outdated wall art and obviously old and even mismatched furnishings.

* Nein Smoking Room: my hotels.com reservation was made for a no smoking room and I arrived to find . . . a smoking room. So, I had to live with a very feint smell of cigarette smoke but, it wasn't too bad. I checked my official confirmation and found a disclaimer that 'preferences could not be gauranteed' so I guess they covered themselves. Personally, I think there are a lot of preferences that are just that - preferences. But, a smoking vs. non-smoking room should be able to be a deal-breaker. This one was not bad as the odor was very feint but what if it wasn't and someone had an asthmatic condition? That would suck.

* Beds: A few points, the first might be actually good to some: # 1 - this was the firmest mattress I have ever slept on and # 2 - the bed had a super-thick comforter that left me a bit too warm with it on, yet too cool with it off. All in all, I did sleep well here.

Bottom Line / Recommendations:

* The BWMD was NOT the nicest business class hotel I have ever stayed in but - no doubt - I absolutely got what I paid for and could have done far worse in the price range. I have no regrets.

* I would recommend skipping breakfast at this hotel - it is just too expensive and there are a few other options nearby.

* You may also want to avoid bringing a car - I heard another guest joking that he didn't want to use his car there for fear he would not be able to get a parking spot again.

* Come to this hotel with accuately-calibrated expectations and you will not be disappointed. If you are super-picky and particular and enjoy being spoiled, spend more to stay somewhere else.

* Now, under the same circumstances would I stay there again? Well, I do hope to again attend A + A in November 2013 and will be coming back to Dusseldorf. While I have no regrets about staying at the BWMD, I don't feel any super-compelling reason to not at least consider other options next time. So, I'll leave it at this . . . IF the BMWD again offers this very low show rate I probably will stay there again. If not, I'll probably try something else just to try something else.

Feel free to contact me directly.

1  Thank ShoelessJeff
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Not vey luxurious. Advertised as a 4 star hotel but nowhere near that. Friendly staff. Small, dull rooms but price of rooms were very cheap.

Reviewed 13 October 2011

I checked in very late (02h00) and was upgraded(?) to one of the hotel's apartments across the street. Unfortunately I left in the morning and so did not have time to enjoy the large sitting room and small terrace (although it had no interesting views!). The apartment was very clean and bed comfy. Only complaint was that the bath had no plug, so I had to be resourceful...but perhaps this could be rectified in future. Checkout was smooth at 10h00 and I would like to commend the breakfast team who - instead of complaining that breakfast had just finished - were happy to let us help ourselves and even encouraged us to take more before it was thrown away! This is truly unusual in my experience and much appreciated.

Reviewed 8 August 2011

This is not one of the most luxurious best western hotels out there but it does the job. The exterior looks pretty grim because of a lot of building work going on outside at the moment. The staff were decent, we had to wait a couple of times because there was nobody on reception but not a big deal. Everything was clean and the room was nice. The hotel is within walking distance of most places that you would want to visit in Dusseldorf. We have stayed in a lot of hotels in Europe and have found much better for our money but also a lot worse.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Had to select a hotel for a 3 day trip to germany This one seemed to tick all my boxes.Anyways arrived monday afternoon with a rest of day to myself. Reception provided me with a map and it was off to explore dusseldorf nearby are parks which eventually lead to the rhine which in turn takes you to the old town and main shopping areas. Following day it wasa off to Essen on the train really good feature of the hotel is its just down the road from Dusseldorf werinheim station (250m) which will also get you to the airport in 10 miniutes.
The hotel will never win any prizes for views or decor but its clean good size rooms central for the town and the rail facility is brilliant and helpful reception staff if its got any faults the bed was a little on the soft side for me (not too bad) and the towels where hard
(I think its to do with the hard water area) Definatly use again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business