Hotel Dusseldorf City by Tulip Inn
US$136
US$129
HotelsClick
  • Pool
All reviewsstaff was friendly and helpfulshopping streetbusiness staygood sizeparking garagethe hotel staffrecommend this hotelhotel is locatedexpocitystationfurnituretrain
Reviewed 16 July 2012

This hotel is not expensive by Dusseldorf standards but is really beginning to look very old fashioned. When the hotel was renovated in the seventies (I am guessing here) it was probaly state of the art and deserved it's four star rating. I'm afraid lack of investment since means the hotel has now slipped well back from currently expected standards. As others have noted the rooms are large but frankly poorly maintained (on my latest stay two lamps did not work and really should have been checked). Lack of air conditioning is definitely a problem.
Probably will nto stay here again but cannot really say it was over-priced. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 June 2012

There is no way I can think of that this hotel can justify a 4 star rating. It boggles my mind, unless I've been totally spoiled by hotels in Asia!

The area is not great, aside from the location being in a not-so-visually appealing area and away from the Rhine, it is also completely covered by extensive construction work (including the front of the hotel).

No renovation has been done since the 1970's at least... extremely outdated and all the facilities are old. Lastly, there is no airconditioning. I'd suggest that in Dusseldorf, for 9 months of the year that isn't an issue. However, it was around 22-24 degrees when we stayed, and the rooms and hallways were like a sauna.

To get around this, a few of us tried opening our windows, but the noise was really, really bad (said construction probably didn't help with this). Tram noise was also extremely loud.

Security, not great. You had the old keys and had to hand them into reception on the way out.

On the positive side, the rooms were large and the bar in the lobby was manned 24/7.

If it hadn't been for the stifling heat and the fact this hotel claims to be 4 star, I would have given this hotel a 3.

Room Tip: away from the street. If you need to open the windows, the noise is diabolical
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank juicyblue
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I stayed here for a major trade show. I arrived on the Sunday afternoon. I noticed immediately that the tap in the bathroom sink area didnt work, thbath tap and shower worked ok.

I was told that they couldn't swap rooms because they were full but if I could make do it would be sorted first thing on Monday. This meant I had to brush my teeth and shave hanging over the bath. All this for 300 Euro+ per night.

When I arrived back from the trade show it of course wasn't fixed and when I complained they almost acted with total disinterest. So a second night of having to sg#have with no mirror and brush my teeth over the bath.

When I checked out and complained again there was little concenr or interest.

This is a disgrace, the staff are clearly dissgusting, lazy non-customer service aware individuals.

DO NOT STAY HERE.

I shall copy and email this to the Best Western franchise people, they should know how people are taking their name in vain, up until now I would choose a BW hotel because they are usually good, not now.

Room Tip: Try anothe hotel
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We were on a business trip and found this hotel after some internet search. We needed a hotel situated in the center of the town close to everything. The price of the room was OK but you had to pay extra for the breakfast and this was crazy!
Overall it was an average old hotel with no character just like you return back in time in the late 70's or early 80's!
However we enjoyed our short stay in the town which is rather beautiful with extraordinary food and local brands of beer!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 December 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 2 night in December 2011. It’s located on a 5 to 10 minutes walk up to the hart of Dusseldorf city center. There are enough restaurants, coffee bars and bakeries around to choose from. The rooms are quite large with a brand new satellite TV with German, English, Italian and Russian channels. Two separate chairs, a desk and table and mini bar are also available and the bathroom has a rather large bathtub. Beds are comfortable and it’s nicely cleaned.

The only disappointment was the friendliness of the non German staff…. The reception didn’t welcome us, spoke German to a minimum and explained nothing like were the rooms, the parking garage or the breakfast restaurant were or how to get there. Also they gave us a room for smokers despite specifically booking a room for non smokers. No apologies what so ever. After switching rooms the new one smelled badly to sweat from the cleaners who were still busy cleaning while we arrived after the check-in time. Opening the window and front door solved that issue.

With better staff this hotel would have gained 5 in stead of 4 stars from us.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple