“Good value”

Best Western Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #122 of 240 Hotels in Dusseldorf
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I stay for two nights last December with my family. Good and clean rooms. We really enjoyed the breakfast. The quality and good variations of food. Good location as it is only minutes from train station.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 January 2012

The hotel is located close to the train station and on walking distance from the centre (15-20 mins). The neighbourhood is a bit gray, but doesn't feel unsafe.

We booked a double bedroom, which was fine for the price you pay. The room is not too big, bed was fine, sheets were clean and the bathroom a bit old but clean. We had a room on the street side of the hotel, which caused some noise of trains, cars and tram. No problem with the windows closed, only when opened.

Breakfast is your ordinary continental breakfast.

Staff was friendly and helpful.

Overall nothing to complain about for the money you pay, but nothing special either.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Let´s start with the few good things this hotel has to offer:
* The location - 3 minutes walking from the main station. Which is great if you arrive there late at night.
* Some of the staff - Were really helpful and tried thir best. Specially Sasha, a young morning receptionist.
* The breakfast (although the room is not big enough to accommodate every guest) is very complete.
Now all of the bad aspects starting from the beggining:
We were asked for a credit card number to guarantee of reservation ans 3 weeks before our arrival the amount of the full stay was taken! I was so appalled by their action that i sent them a very ungry email. I had to wait 3 days for an answer: "Our mistake. Please, sorry." and the money was sent back to the account. What a great start!
Obviously when we finally got there we were a little bit sceptical about what we were gonna find. But we were nicely welcomed by the night auditor. We paid for the whole stay and headed up to the room (409). Big mistake! When we got there there was a double room with a single sofa bed!And when i say single i mean coffin-like.We should have seen the room before paying and we shoould have never stay on that room, even if it was only for one night. But it was 2 am and we were so tired that we decided to complain the next morning.Which took centuries to arrive because i couldnt sleep at all in that thing!!I must have slept 3 hours!It was too narrow and way to hard on the lower back!Awful!Not even a child should have to sleep in there!
The next day i lost the whole morning because i slept till noon.And the rest of the day felt like a zombie.
That day Sasha gave me a single room (free of charge - 407) and that made a huge difference.
Even so rooms dont have heating system!Imagine that with negative temperatures!!Walls, ceilings and floors are way too thin!You can hear everything!
Night curtain from my bed was ripped and no one fixed it. Cleaning ladies dont really care if you have the DND on the door. They knock twice, try to make themselves heard and walk in anyway!
The whole decoration is old and needs urgent changes.
Its quite far from the old part of town (walking around 20 minutes) but you have the tram or bus that will take you there.
Dusseldorf is a cosy city, specially at xmas time! :) And just so you know there is hardely any control in the trams. So buy one ticket but only validate it if you the controler.
The prices are quit high in the city. So ladies dont expect to do much shopping if your on a budget holiday.
So my point is: although Ambassador is not a nightmare, im sure that for the price you are gonna pay you can do much better (i payed 170€ to sleep on that coffin...or may i say, not to sleep!)!

Room Tip: If you are three, please dont choose this hotel!And ask for high room. On the lower ones you´ll hear...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 December 2011

The hotel is in walking distance from the centre. Hygienic, good shower and comfortable beds. The area is a little bit dark surrounded by small Döner snackbars and some sex shops. To my opinion not a bad area. Enough choice for the breakfast. The parking lot is very small, it can be challenging to test your parking skills.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Basically, nothing to say about the hotel. We can expect the quality of the service before we arrive. The front desk staff aren't friendly and not helpful, perhaps they do not speak english.
The room is old, with old furniture and decor, nothing more.
But the breakfast is surprisingly good. Great variety and we enjoyed.
Location is the best selling point i think. Its near to train station, and major attraction in town. Very close to tram station as well.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I stayed during an expo. The hotel is convenient but little small rooms are available. The place is perfect in the hart of the city. Good value fir money!

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 24 June 2011

This Hotel is ideally situated with only a 5 minute walk to it from the Hauptbanhof central station which itself is only 20 mins from the Airport (S11 train). The Hotel itself is small but comfortable and very clean. I found the staff to be friendly and efficient and I was grateful that they allowed me to book in early (11am) as I had been up very early for my flight over and I wanted to put my head down for a few hours, so a big thanks to you for that! I didn't avail of Breakfast as I had a lie in both mornings! but I understand that it's continental style with plenty of muesli, fruit, cold meats etc. In addition to the Train Station nearby, there is a Tram line right outside and no shortage of Taxis either. The Hotel is only a 10min by Taxi to the Alstadt (oldtown) where you'll find loads of Bars and Restaurants. We had booked last October and at €70 for 2 nights B&B, this represented great value and I'd be happy to recommend this Hotel to Friends and Family. Well done!

Room Tip: Book early if you can!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends