“Centrally located, excellent service”

Novum Hotel Excelsior Duesseldorf
Ranked #51 of 240 Hotels in Dusseldorf
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We were three friends staying here for two nights. Our room was reasonably spacious, service at the reception was very good. There is also a quiet and nice bar at the reception area. It takes about 10-15 minutes to walk to the downtown area, and it is a similar distance to the Railway station. Wifi functioned well both in the lobby and at the rooms. Breakfast was good, but not impressive. Can definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Novum Hotel Excelsior Duesseldorf

Reviewed 10 March 2014

This hotel is an excellent choice in Düsseldorf and here are the reasons why:

* Location - the hotel is about a ten minute walk (slow) to get to the River Rhine and then it is about another five - ten minute walk (again, slow) to get to the Old Town. The hotel is also about 30 seconds walk to the Nordstraße underground station, which connects you directly to Düsseldorf Hauptbahnhof, where you can catch the S11 directly into the Airport Terminal. If you are not a walker (I walk absolutely everywhere, did not use public transport once while exploring the city) then the proximity to the underground is useful for getting around.

* Value - for such a well located hotel, and one so well presented, it is very good value. Breakfast is included in the room rate and there is more than enough of a selection (eggs, bacon, meatballs, cakes (for those who like sweets for breakfast) and pastries, cold meats and cheese, yoghurt, bread, cereals. Free WiFi is available throughout the hotel and works well. It is worth noting that you need to log in again after a certain amount of idle time, but it is a very good signal and for a free connection, no complaints from me.

* Service - the staff were always friendly and helpful, but there was a slight downside in that they weren't as knowledgeable as I would have expected. I asked one of the front desk staff if he could direct me to the "Cartwheeler Fountain" and after some initial confusion he told me that was just a symbol and there was no statue or fountain. In fact there is. It is well known and a popular meeting place for friends but I found it on my own so no harm done. One night, I asked for stamps and the front desk attendee told me they do not sell stamps and then could not direct me to where any were available. The next morning, another lady told me she only had stamps available at €0.45 more than normal international stamps and she could not tell me of anywhere that sold stamps on a Sunday. In fact, after purchasing the stamps and posting the cards, during my walk that day I discovered a postal stamp machine by a postbox not even 5 minutes walk away. It turns out there are a few machines around Düsseldorf with this function. Apart from these little hiccups, though, I found the front desk staff friendly and helpful indeed.

* Rooms - clean, comfortable and spacious enough for me. New bathroom with lovely big shower and a big bed (albeit two twins adjoined) that was comfortable. The pillows were a bit too soft but the comforters were lovely and the room had a comfortable temperature. I experienced no troubles sleeping at all as there was very little noise. There is an inroom safe but do note you need €1 coin to use it - something I have never encountered before so I was caught short when I did not have a coin on me. The next morning, I was able to swap some loose change for one but just do note that you need this. The keys to the safe and the room are bulky and the safe key is heavy. Please note these things for when you are out and about. Not a dealbreaker by any stretch of the imagination but things I like to know for myself when I am travelling.

All in all, this is a fine choice for a hotel when you are in Düsseldorf. I would have afforded it five stars had it not been for the three minor issues I pointed out but apart from that, I would most definitely stay here again if I were ever to return to Düsseldorf.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Krinkles28
Reviewed 6 March 2014

The Excelsior is an old fashioned German style hotel in a great location just 10 minutes walk from the Altstadt but with plenty of public transport options just outside. On-steet parking is also available around the hotel. Welcome at reception is rather... German ...but efficient. The rooms are large but with dated bathrooms. The hotel is very clean and well run with an excellent breakfast buffet. Overall a good 3.5 star independant hotel and highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Excellent hotel good price and service clean and tidy with good breakfasts. Friendly service. hotel has a range of rooms including two apartments next door with three rooms. Although hotel was fully booked not at all noisy.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Just returned from a three day stay while attending the boatshow Boot 2014. Overall excellent stay. Breakfast very good, location great (easy connection to light rail train and 15 min ride to Messe), 10 minute walk to Old town area, also some excellent close restaurants frequented by locals, staff very helpful, nice bar for nightcap, clean adequately sized rooms. All good.

I look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

FYI. It is a cat lover hotel ;)

It was another excelsior classic. The stuff, the breakfast, the service and the front office's kind and warm attitude.
My only recommend is to have some more international tv channels in the rooms including at least one music channel ;)

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 January 2014

My spouse and I were traveling through Dusseldorf to see our old haunts and visit the Christmas markets. We were familiar with the location of the Hotel Excelsior - it was near our old apartment - but this was our first time staying there.

We chose the location since it was a nice walk to the Altstadt and near the U-Bahn stop. As such, we could take the U-Bahn directly from the main train station (10 minutes) and get to the city center by either a 2 minute U-Bahn or a 10-15 minute walk. If you have forgotten anything, there are a number of shops within a five minute walk (up Nordstrasse). There are also tram stops close-by as well.

The room was nice and clean - the decor was a bit dark in color, but that was not a big deal. The room was next to the elevator, but they did not allow that elevator to be used in the evening, so we had a quiet night's rest.

There was a lot of variety at the breakfast buffet so there was no excuse to go hungry. The staff was friendly and professional - they agreed to watch our luggage as we explored the city on our last full day.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple