“Rhineland Indian Summer Break”

NH Duesseldorf City Nord
Ranked #9 of 239 Hotels in Dusseldorf
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 December 2011

The Indian summer in northern Europe in October 2011 was just too good to pass up. Therefore, no alternative but to visit Dusseldorf in Germany’s industrial heartland! As this was a last minute trip, hotels in the centre of Dusseldorf were exorbitantly expensive, so alternatives had to be considered.

The NH City Nord was an excellent choice, a business hotel that offers reasonable weekend rates. Travel into the centre of Dusseldorf is easy as the tram stop at Derendorf station is two minutes walk away. For those worse for wear from a night on the tiles in the Aldstadt, a taxi ride back costs 10Euro.

Quality of the room was reasonable. I opted for a double but in practice this was two single beds pushed together, which I hadn't anticipated for a business hotel. As I asked for a quiet room, I was allocated a room at the rear of the hotel. While this didn't face the main road and tram line, it did face the parking garages. It wasn’t a 'room with a view' but as I had an undisturbed night’s sleep, I wasn’t too concerned. I didn’t have breakfast as I thought it was ridiculously overpriced, approximately 18Euro.

The positives, a mini bar in the room to store milk (purchased from the Lidl supermarket opposite) for teas, etc. This is always a bonus as it saves on buying refreshments out. Free Internet access is available in the hotel as well which was a bonus.

As for checking out, as other Trip Advisors contributors have noted, the Hotel Receptionist can be rather cold during this process but being Germany, it was gloriously efficient; I was even offered a choice of settlement currency. I should stress that the majority of staff I met were pleasant and helpful. So when I’m next in Dusseldorf, I will probably return to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Tim A
There are newer reviews for NH Duesseldorf City Nord

Reviewed 29 November 2011

For €59 I booked a room for two. Seeing the quality of the hotel and rooms I found this a really good deal. Although not located in the city center, it is very easy to get there by public transportation. The only thing lacking is a bit of atmosphere.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2011

There was quite a lot wrong with this hotel, but I'll start with the extremely dishonest tactics the hotel uses for making you pay for internet access.

There is a sign in reception saying that you can get a free code from reception if you want wifi internet access. A reasonable person would therefore think that internet access is complementary. Although there is no wifi reception in the bedrooms (and, actually, only very unreliable reception in the communal areas), when I plugged my laptop into the wired internet access in the bedroom, I was immediately connected to the internet. I did not get routed to a page asking me to enter my room number or anything like that, as would be normal when internet access is chargeable. There was absolutely nothing to say that I was going to be charged a little over €20 for internet access when I checked out. I even asked about internet access when I checked in, and the receptionist did not warn me about the charges,

I explained when I checked out that I was not happy with the charge, as every indication was that it would be free. The receptionist was totally unsympathetic and just insisted that I pay. Given that I had a plane to catch, I unfortunately did not have time to take this up with the manager, so I had little choice but to pay. I'm going through the disputes process with my credit card company, who have so far been very helpful, so I think I have a reasonable chance of getting the money back eventually, but I really shouldn't have had to go through this hassle. You have been warned.

They were also a little bit sneaky about charging for water. Most hotels put drinks in the minibar if you are expected to pay for them, but leave a bottle or two of mineral water out on the desk if it's complimentary. Well, they left a couple of small bottles of mineral water out here, but again I discovered only when I checked out that they weren't complimentary.

The stealth charges weren't the only problem with the hotel. I ordered a beer in the bar. The barman brought a different beer to the one I ordered. He refused to change it when I pointed this out.

I arrived at the hotel about 11 pm after my flight was delayed, and I hadn't eaten. The hotel staff seemed to take great pleasure in telling me that both food in the bar and room service cease at 11 pm promptly and there was no way they were going to make an exception. I find it rather strange that a hotel that claims to be 4-star has no way of getting anything to eat at 2 minutes past 11 pm.

I returned from being out for most of the day at about 3.30 pm, and found that my room had not yet been made up. I arrived at the room at the same time as the maid, who offered to make up the room then or, if that wasn't convenient, to come back later. It wasn't convenient, so I asked if she could come back after 5.30. She said she couldn't come back that late.

Now, in the interests of balance, this hotel wasn't all bad. The breakfast was good. The room was clean (although it lacked a safe) and everything worked.

Nonetheless, as a result of the appalling experience I had here, I will not be staying at either this hotel or any other hotel in the NH chain ever again.

Room Tip: Choose a room at a different hotel
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank NautiusMaximus
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Stayed here recently and I was pleasantly surprised for the money we paid - 98 euros for 2 nights!! This hotel sits beside that train station which takes you into the centre of Düsseldorf in less than 10 mins. The hotel is clean, new and modern. Very quiet and a good night sleep was had on both evenings. Cannot comment on the food, as we did not try it, however, used the bar and the staff were friendly and attentive.

I will use this hotel again when I next visit the area.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I recently returned from a one-night stay at the NH Dusseldorf City Nord (henceforth referred to in this review as NHD) that was a small part of my week long trip to Dusseldorf for the A + A show last month. As I always do, I have written this review with a look at the Great, Good, bad, and Ugly with some bottom line-type comments and recommendations. I will also answer teh most important review question: when I return will I stay there again (?) Ready? Here goes . . .

GREAT

* Newness / cleanliness: after spending the larger portion of this trip at a much older and more tired feeling hotel, it was nice to come to the NHD. Everything in the rooms, lobby, hallways, etc. looks, smells, and 'feels' new and fresh. If I was told this was a new hotel or refurbished just before I checked in I would have believed it. The only vantage point this is not true from is seeing this hotel from the outside - it's mundane 'curb appeal' does not do justice to the modern clean interior.

GOOD

* Facilities: On the top floor there is a very nice gym and sauna which I did use in my breif stay. Most hotels in this class feature saunas and / or work-out areas but they are generally located in a basement and are somewhat 'dank'. Not at the NHD - they were on the top floor and offered plenty of windows, light, and 'air'. I did not use the in-house restaurant and / or bar but they looked very nice too.

* Rooms: Again, the rooms were modern, clean, and well furnished with a large high-def tv screen, modern cherry-wood closet, and marble and other modern fixtures in the bathroom. Also, while the room design lacked imagination it did feature a neat door between the bedroom / bath area. I've seen this same room design a million times but have never before seen this door.

* Convenience Factor (pro): this hotel is a few minute walk from the Derendorf train station making it very convenient from the airport and the main hauptbahnhof (central train station) - as the S1 train line connects both and stops of course at the Derendorf station.

BAD (room for improvement)

* Convenience Factor (con): while this hotel is convenient from the trains taht will take you to & from the area, you'll need the train because there is not much around this hotel. If you want to go out for dinner or to do any shopping whatsoever you will need to leave this area and, if you don't have a car, it will be far less convenuient than most other hotels. Also, while the S1 train line is close, I do not consider this the most convenient hotel in terms of being accessable from the fairgrounds. To connect with a U-banh line that runs to the fairgrunds you will either # 1 - have to train it all the way back to the hauptbahnhof or # 2 - take a longer than average tram ride. I don't want to overstate this but it is less convenient than most other hotel options as a trade show HQ.

UGLY

* Nothing to report

Bottom Line Comments / Recommendations

* This is a good choice for Dusseldorf but . . . you must note that the NHD is far from the 'action'. of course, I have always found Dusseldorf to be very manageable. This hotel is a good choice regardless but probably an even better choice if you have a car.

* Will I stay there again? Well, I will be back in dusseldorf in a few years. If the NHD rates are good, I will stay there again.

Feel free to contact me with Q's

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank ShoelessJeff
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Stayed here for a week with work. I recommend taking a train to and from the airport - fast and cheap and will get you here quicker than a cab. No experience of evening food but the buffet breakfast was well-stocked and tasty. Comfortable room with good bathroom. Fitness suite on the top floor is handy but small - people were queueing for the running machine! Very handy for transport links, trams to city centre etc, and you can enjoy the best chicken in Germany just down the hill!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back will be away from the tram bells on the main road
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I utilised this NH chain hotel last week when the Renaissance Hotel I usually use was fully booked.
Found it to be a solid enough business orientated hotel with all the usual facilities you would expect.
Room was large with Kingsize bed (two singles pushed together in reality), table and chair area by the window and large desk area housing mini-bar and coffee and tea facilities. Then a decent sized, well equipped bathroom. Air-con was good and efficient, although I missed the lcd readout for temperature setting and a bit of fiddling of the mechanical dial was required to get the required level. My room was at the back of the hotel, which meant it didn’t have much of a view, but was very quiet at night. Other colleague who had rooms at the front on the main road remarked that you do get the noise of the trams rattling past at night, which could be disturbing if you are not used to it.
The public areas were spacious and clean with a decent bar area. Which, if you do not want to pay for the high speed Lan in the room, is equipped with free Wei-Fi on a timed passcode available from reception.
As I was staying for more than one night managed to get a decent rate of €99 per night which included breakfast, but this does go up and down depending if there is a large exhibition on at the Messe.
The hotel is a short 10-15 minute taxi ride from the airport and, although on a main road as mentioned, this does mean it is handy for utilising public transport to get you downtown, and a visit to the Düsseldorf Altstadt with its 300 bars and restaurants and Rhine side location is a must if you have not visited before.
But if you need taxi’s to get about then the lay-by outside the hotel is an impromptu taxi rank and there was always one present, every time I left the hotel.

Room Tip: If you prefer a quiet room ask for one at the back away from the main street. Trams run along the s...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business