“Excellent steaks in a chic setting”

The Bull Steak Expert
Ranked #5 of 1,913 Restaurants in Dusseldorf
Cuisines: Argentinian, Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Unless you know this restaurant or it is recommended to you, chances are that you will not find it since it is located in a residential area just off Hofgarten and about a 5 minute walk from the old city (Alstadt, Ratingerstr).

When you first enter you will probably wonder whether you made a mistake since the atmosphere is more suited to a French restaurant than an Argentinian Steakhouse. This is because Elendts a French Restaurant used to occupy the location. The restaurant will seat about 35 people.

The Bull Steak Expert is an offshoot of the same Restaurant in London run by Daniel Veron.

The staff was very attentive and noticed everything yet managed to do this without being pushy at any time.

The food was excellent even the Appetizer on the house (marinated Aubergine with a small piece of bread). I had the Tartar (€12,50) for starters which was flavoured just right. The only caveat is that it was not prepared at the table.

My main course, a 400g Churrasco de Cuadril (€25) was done just right (rare) and the staff asked me when I ordered whether I wanted a high cut since I ordered rare. As I said attentive. My Partner had a Medaillon de Lomo (Filetsteak) (€17) and wanted mashed potatoes which were not on the menu. This wasn't a problem as a guest wish will be obeyed. She received a relatively generous portion of mashed potatoes. We accompanied the Steaks with a Glas of Malbec which was reasonably priced at €8.

This time we didn't do Desserts but the choice looked nice.

The quality of the meat was superb and it nearly didn't require a knife to cut so tender was the meat.

As a Steak lover I will definitely return here.

3  Thank Critic_Gourmet

Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Great simple grilled food, steaks, fish and vegetables. Excellent value for money, quality ingredients, very comfotable atmosphere for relaxed dinner with customers or colleagues. Very positive experience to be recommended

3  Thank Michael P
Reviewed 26 April 2014

A couple of weeks ago I went to this restaurant with a group of friends.
When we entered, we found a small room which looked comfortable, but we sensed a heavy atmosphere in the air. The waitresses were very cheerful and detailed.
The entrees were diverse, with great flavour and the presentation.
However, when the meat came, we all noticed that it wasn’t up to par. Two of us decided to return the meat as we felt that it wasn’t cooked to the temperature we desired, and one of us decided to keep his, though he didn’t like seeing it burnt on the outside. After waiting for our steaks (a long wait at that) some of us had already finished their main course and our sides had already gotten cold.
When one goes to a restaurant which specializes in meat, and this happens, one doesn’t feel inclined on returning. Therefore, I don’t think I will be going back.

5  Thank Danther
Reviewed 22 April 2014

booked this restaurannt on trip advisor reviews and was not disappointed. it is located on a side st a few minutes walk from the underground. The food is good quality and well cooked. Prices are very reasonable and a good wine list compliments the steaks

3  Thank ggmck186338
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The Bull Steak Expert is small and sits in a small residential street. If it was not for TripAdvisor, I would probably never have known it existed. When entering the main room, you immediately notice the smell. This was probably never intended to be a restaurant so the ventilation is an afterthought. It's not a big deal and you won't notice it after a short while. The decoration and ambiance are a bit formal and bland - definitely not your usual Argentinian steakhouse.
There is a good choice of cuts, side dishes and sauces. I had a bife de lomo with a baked potato and some pepper sauce. The meat was excellent as you would expect. The portion of sauce was really and not appropriate for 350g of meat. While the meat was being cooked, they offered us a small appetizer (a tiny piece of bread and grilled aubergine). A nice gesture.
The list of dessert is very lean. We shared a piece of chocolate cake. It was good and well presented but definitely expensive for what is was.
No house wine, so you will need to spend 40€ or 50€ for the cheapest bottle, making the total bill an easy 50€/person. Eventually, I left with somewhat of a mixed feeling. The Bull Steak Expert is a formal restaurant (ambiance, decoration, "premium" appetizer and dessert, etc.) where you eat a simple yet excellent piece of meat together with a baked potato. The combination of formality for some aspects and simplicity for other things is a bit weird. I think I prefer a traditional steakhouse experience with the kitschy decoration, the Argentinian beers, the simpler more rustic service etc. (eg. El Chango in Köln).

2  Thank DrNeko