“Nice, but not enough included”

InterContinental Dusseldorf
Ranked #6 of 237 Hotels in Dusseldorf
Vancouver, Canada
“Nice, but not enough included”
Reviewed 2 April 2013

The hotel itself is very well-located and nicely appointed, though, like many higher-end hotels in Germany, it is a touch over-priced.

I stayed on the Club floor - the lounge is cool and the food was great - but the nickel-n-diming for the health club, internet, bottled water, etc. eroded my perception of value. If I pay 300+ Euro for a room, and am part of the loyalty program, I think it is reasonable to expect complimentary internet and access to the health club. [Charging for internet in 2013 is galling to begin with; it is in the same family as texting, that is, a superabundant commodity that is marked up 4000%.]

Check-in was smooth-ish, check-out was quick, staff anticipate well.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael F
InterContinental_DUS, Manager of Quality and Performance at InterContinental Dusseldorf, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Dear MichaelF,
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and the experience to chose the club lounge.
I apologize for not providing an all inclusive package. Yes, you have to pay for the external health club, because we are not managing this on our own. But we provide FREE wireless internet with highest security standard to all our guest, which can be used all over the property. Only the high speed version is charged. In addition we provide 24/7 a mineral water bar located in the hotel lobby.
Michaela Weisskopf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Right on top of the classy Kõ (Kõnigsallee), the InterContinental fits in perfectly with the elegant and modern stores that mark Dusseldorf's "miracle mile". The hotel has a beautiful atrium (basically a cover that connects the different buildings that form the hotel) which is breathtaking looking up from the lobby and looking down from the floors. I enjoyed the "vertical gallery" with world class photos by Michael Dannemann.
A special thank you to Front Office Manager Steffen, who went the extra mile to make sure that we had a perfect stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Dear DavidEllen,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, especially our fourth Vertical Gallery. Being a passionate marathon runner, our Front Office Manager Steffen will never rest bevor our guest needs are met. Thank you for mentioning him personally.
Atlanta
Reviewed 2 April 2013

The InterContinental was great. The rooms and lobby looked modern, so I guess the hotel is relatively new. The best thing about the hotel is that its downtown. Its walking distance to lots of restaurants and cafes. I highly recommend this hotel.

1 Thank Cam435
Dear Cam435,
Thank you very much for your kind words!
We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we would like to welcome you back again.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Really good hotel, clean, comfortable and very helpful reception staff. The room service menu is not extensive but the hotel staff is so friendly that it makes up for this. Free wi-fi helps, I really enjoyed my stay and will visit again if in Dusseldorf in future.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear swan75,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review and especially for mentioning our free wireless internet.
According to the wishes of our guests, we renewed our room service menu, which will be launched at the end of April. I would gladly send you a copy, because your opinion matters to me.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 29 March 2013

This was my third and fourth time at the Intercontinental. Each time had its highlights and its detractions. As many have written before, the location is perfect and the decor is good quality corporate modern and well maintained as one might expect. The breakfast is always fantastic, really nothing one could wish for that canot be found there, a huge choice of fruit, cereals,wonderful breads, hot dishes, cold cuts, gravlax etc etc. My first morning i was served by a woman that made me tea using loose tea leaves, this had never happened before and was greaty appreciated.
I like the rooms too, attention to detail and lovely duvets and good well designed bathrooms.
If you like a quiet room the best thing is to get one overlooking the inner courtyard otherwise you will either be woken by school children on one side of the building at god knows what time or the traffic on the street behind. The rooms on the inner courtyard have sealed windows while the others can be opened...
The last stay I arrived late in the evening and there were only smoking rooms available...ugh...even though they use some kind of machine to remove the smell it still smells nasty believe me and gets into your clothes. The receptionist was quite apologetic and said they would move me the next day which they did...
The bar is probably the area that needs the most care and attention....on several occasions i have noticed that some of the bar staff are not at all welcoming and frankly the pour of Sekt that I received was startlingly small. I have quite a lot of restaurant and bar experience so was pretty shocked when barely 1/2 a flute arrived.

Room Tip: high floor either facing the inner courtyard if you don't mind the window not opening or weekend...
Dear lavitaedolce,
Thank you for sharing your review. I am so glad that at the end you enjoyed your stay at the InterContinental Dusseldorf.
I took the opportunity to show the importance of serving loose tea to our breakfast team. Even if the quality inside of the tea caddy is exactly the same, to serve loose tea should be our standard to make our guest feel well cared. We also reviewed the standard filling of our champagne glasses and from now on we will pour an extra sip at our expense.
Hopefully you will be able to notice our improvements during your next stay.
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 28 March 2013

The hotel was overall good, not great, but good. I found this hotel to be a little disappointing when compared to other Intercontinental hotels. The room wasn't as clean as it could've been, but the room was modern.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank HONdominik
InterContinental_DUS, Manager of Quality and Performance at InterContinental Dusseldorf, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Dear HONdominik,

Thank you very much for writing your review. I am really impressed about the high number of entries you have done during the past days.

Please be assured, that our main focus is on cleanliness of guest rooms and overall guest satisfaction.

nj
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I stayed here exactly 1 year ago with a great experience. Sorry I cannot say the same for last weeks visit. I arrived at 1:30PM to be told my room was not ready, but a similar room overlooking the beautiful atrium lobby is available now. It was my day to enjoy and so I took it rather than wait and why my room was not ready irks me. No welcome gift first day, so I asked next morning and still none by night, when I needed some water, so came request # 3 and still no luck 1 hour later. Yes I did get 3 bottles of water eventually! No toiletries replenished 2nd day and was not even sure bathroom was cleaned.
While most staff are still great as 1 desk person helped my shopping mission, Joachim again assisted with another so all is not lost. Other staff great as well - bellman
I can say Michael the doorman was to call me a taxi as I was late for a meeting and decided to do 3 other things first and tell me the taxi is on the way before he called since he forgot.
Worst was my last night I returned at 11PM and there was loud music at the bar that could be heard in the room on the 10th floor pretty clearly. The music lasted past 1AM and I had a 3:30AM wake up for an early flight. Really - music so late with 1/2 the rooms over the lobby atrium? Yes a sincere apology but furthered with an insult to inform I can get an upgrade on a return visit.

Room Tip: stay away from atrium room if unlikely party. I was told they did not know about the late party 2 d...
1 Thank Rich W
Dear RichW,

Thank you for taking the time to share another review with us. I am more than disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your stay this time. Especially because your last stay made you expect much more. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced this time.

We are constantly looking for ways to improve our guest satisfaction and we will use your comments as we work towards this goal.

I would highly appreciate you to contact me personally in order to find an appropriate way of compensation for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay.