“Japanese restaurants are expensive, confirmed again”
Review of Nagaya

Nagaya
Ranked #30 of 1,831 Restaurants in Dusseldorf
Price range: US$74 - US$148
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Stadt-Mitte
Frankfurt, Germany
“Japanese restaurants are expensive, confirmed again”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

The presentation was nice but in essence you pay for the quality of the ingredients. The preparation you could do easily yourself. So what sticks is the impression that you overpaid for a good quality meal. Wine was nice and although we originally were pushed for expensive wines, the sommelier provided me with a very good and friendly priced glass of wine. So they can adjust.

• Visited September 2013

Czech Republic
“More show off, less real performance, incredibly high price”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I rate three = average but it doesn't mean that Nagaya is an average restaurant, certainly not. Its a top Japanese restaurant with a Michelin star. However when I compare and not only with my other Michelin experiences, the final result is not quite satisfying.
Food served a bit in a show off mode while taste stays behind the look,
prices are almost incredibly high (wow! really!).
I can't say that the staff is not kind or is lazy, they are always in run serving people, but they also do not see what they should see - our glasses were most of the time empty (water, wine) and because there even was no eye contact, we were thirsty for the most of our visit.
Our food was very good but I would not say excellent, so I have to say that we did not do any special experience and so will not return again.

• Visited August 2013
Enschede, The Netherlands
“Impeccable lunch at incredible value!”
Reviewed 30 October 2012

We dropped in for lunch at Nagaya. After being welcomed by the very friendly staff, we were seated at one of the very comfortable tables - they have a bench/chair setup with the table inbetween, which we really liked. The entire place has a very calm and soothing atmosphere: a nice break between frantically rushing around Düsseldorf.

Our waiter, whom we had plenty fun with, recommended the bento box, which came in at 48 euros. The value provided with this mini-menu is incredible: you don't just get the immaculately prepared nibbles in the bento box, but a little amuse-gueule, soup and a dessert as well. Together, it adds up to what I can only describe as a full-fledged 3-course lunch - which makes for awesome value.

Of course, the soup was a miso - and I'm usually not a big fan of it. This one though - wow!

Up next, the bento box (see picture), which contained 12(!) different little dishes: from excellent sashimi and sushi to wagyu-rolls, tempura and an incredibly tasty salad with micro vegetables. I'm quite the picky eater, but I could not find a flaw in a single one of the mini-dishes in the box. All of them were incredibly well-flavoured and very well-presented.

Afterwards, a dessert was served - which was a nice finish to an impeccable lunch. If you're around Nagaya at lunchtime, treat yourself to this amazing experience :)

• Visited October 2012
4 Thank dabutcha76
Dusseldorf, Germany
“excellent food - perfect for business dinner”
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I've been here for dinner with some customers. 7 person total. We stayed in the semi-private room at the bottom of the restaurant hall. The place is very elegant and formal. The service was good and the food superlative. We had sushi, sashimi, rolls and tempura to the bursting point. We drank beer and water and we paid 720 euro + tip.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank D40489
Berlin, Germany
“Very good, but room for improvement”
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Overall the Nagaya is a cool space for a formal dinner, but I've been to posher places with a more interiguing service. We've been 5 friends - all into fine dining, with tons of culinary experience.
The Nagaya only offers the 12-course dinner per table, and before ordering we asked if it'd be possible to adjust the menu, and make it suitable for a pregnant friend (naturally skipping the raw fish/meat). The serviced confirmed this not being an issue.
Unfortunately we've had to remind them multiple times, so that for our mum-to-be friend the menu's been only half the fun (at the full price) because they didn't pick up the special dietary preference, but kept on sending raw dishes for her, too.

The sushi is amazing, but some of the dishes were not up to our expecations.
Either they tasted a bit bland or - compared to real teriyaki restaurants - they lacked a bit of excitement.
They serve a vast selection of desserts - some of them are real delish, but summarized they serve a few too many, with the tastes blending in...
It's been a funny combination of sushi, sashimi and meat bites, but though everything's been quite nicely done - I'd have expected a bigger wow effect.

Good for business travellers on expenses.
It's a treat, but nothing extraordinary. I'd go back for the sushi, but not for the full monty.

• Visited September 2012