“OK For A Short Stay”

Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Duisburg
Oxford, United Kingdom
“OK For A Short Stay”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Good central location just loopiest the Hauptbahnhof, a short train ride from Dusseldorf Airport or around 50 Euros in a taxi.
Looks a bit scruffier on the outside in reality that it does on the website … but that’s not unusual for hotels – I booked a ‘comfort single’ room for 139 Euros which was one of the last available in a very busy weekend in Duisburg where most hotels were fully booked.
The entrance and reception is small and there’s no ramp that I could see, so I had to drag the heavy cases up a set of shallow steps.
The lift was tiny – I could just get all my cases and myself in, with a bit of lateral packing.
My room (26 on the second floor) was light, pleasantly decorated and very well designed. In fact one of the best designed single rooms I have encountered for a while! (the view onto the roof of the building next door was not the greatest!!)
The two beds (only one of which was made up) were split apart in a V shape and there was a V shaped desk in the corner and a V shaped TV stand in the middle of the room – all maximising the overall space really efficiently. I could easily fit myself and all the luggage in.
The shower/bath room was also well through-out – space enough to be comfortable whilst incredibly compact – with sufficient shelf space and plenty of hooks in convenient places for towels, etc. Good quality tissues and toilet roll and nice towels.
There was a well-stocked fridge/mini-bar neatly inbuilt into a recess with a small wardrobe and another cupboard with shelves, safe, etc.
Everything worked really well in the room, and I felt relaxed in there.
For me what let it Hotel Friederichs down on this visit was the internet and attitude of some of the staff!
The internet was awful – unusual for Germany where you just expect everything everywhere to be fast, wide and readily available!
The WIFI signal no weak in my room it could not connect with any conviction for long and kept dropping out. I called reception and asked if there was a problem with the WIFI generally (like did their router might need re-booting or something ?) as at that stage I could not get any device connected.
The woman was offhand and said she’d call the IT person. 30 minutes later, I had managed to connect but it kept dropping out, nothing back from reception, so I called again and asked if there was any news on my query – was there a problem with the internet – and she was really off with me and said there were 30 other guests all using it quite happily so it must be something I was doing wrong.
I knew the chances of her having called up and spoken to 30 other guests about the WIFI signal in the 30 minutes gap between my first call was … remote!
About 15 minutes later, a man called the room – he didn’t introduce himself as anyone in particular but wanted to know if the internet was working. I told him the same thing ‘intermittently’, plus the signal in the room was very weak and that it kept dropping out, every 3 – 4 minutes! He was extremely officious and told me that there was obviously some problem with my laptop.
I know there wasn’t and I was also having equal difficulties getting the iPhone and iPad connected, I asked him if there was a generic issue with the WIFI or with this room in particular … and he told me I needed to bring my laptop down to reception … and at this point was also talking to me like I was a complete Muppet, which I really didn’t appreciate!!
To get him off the phone I said that I was not happy but I’d battle on with the bad connection … (I always have my trusty 3G dongle in reserve, but it can be expensive when roaming, so it’s a last back-stop!!!)
Eventually I managed to get the FTP upload of the previously night’s images done via the WIFI – with three drop-out/reconnections, and as a result was 5 minutes late in the lobby to meet the taxi I’d asked them to call. This woman on reception made a point of telling me the drive had been waiting for me for 5 minutes – I wondered why they’d not even called the room to announce the taxi … and refrained from being disparaging about their internet!
So, summing up, I would stay there again but I’d look for other options in Duisburg first! The hotel is OK for one or two nights (in my opinion) … It’s not somewhere I would want to spend a lot of time.
I think some of the staff could benefit from an attitude change which includes learning how not to patronise guests or speak to them like they’re children or idiots! Having said that, the next morning the same woman was on reception and was a lot friendlier to me … as I was leaving … so perhaps she had been having a bad day!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Very poor hotel indeed. Dirty and very noisy. My room was smelly (cigarette!!!) and I had to keep teh window open buy the smell was always there. I didnt have any sleep due to the noise from the street. I really wonder why so many people recomend it.
I was travelling for business for 3 days, I only stayed one night and moved to another hotel after the ordeal. I would recomend this hotel to an enemy.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Parisaktos E
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2006

This is a terrific hotel.

We arrived in Duisburg HBF and found the hotel directly opposite us. The receptionist spoke four languages and patiently put up with my (brutal) attempts at German.

The room was clean, quiet, spacious, and double-glazed. Ours was on the second floor and looked out the back of the hotel. Though it could have benefitted from air conditioning (my only complaint) it had everything else including a free wired and wireless internet connection. There was an incredibly well stocked mini-bar which (unlike so many other hotels) didn't cost a fortune should you want something from it. By default, the rooms were made every day and fresh towels delivered. The bathroom was excellent with a most luxurious shower - and the piece de resistance, mini toblerones on our pillows every day.

Despite being so close to a main road, we heard no noise from our room and barely saw another guest during our stay.

Owned by the same people, next door, there is a bistro which is used for breakfast in the morning and dinner in the evening with a menu which rotates two or three times per week. Breakfast had an enormous spread of breads and cheeses, ham, cereal, smoked fish, cofee, fruit, fruit juices etc.
Dinner had a good range of interesting food and the waitress who upon spotting us leafing through a german dictionary in order to help with the menu, turned out to speak passable english and was happy to explain the menu to us and to fall back on sign language when our language failed.

Centrally located, walking across the main road and through the train station (which also provides bus and tram services) it takes approximately 10 minutes to reach the center of town.

Much of Duisburg was destroyed during WW2, however the area in which Hotel Friederichs is located this area was most pleasant with many pedestrianised streets along which there are a range of pubs and restaurants.

This was a truly terrific hotel and next time we're in duisburg, we'll stay.

• Liked — The terrific service
  • Disliked — The room got quite warm and could have benefitted from air conditioning.
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a map and go walking in the local area, there are some nice bits you wouldn't otherwise see.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank spam-me-harder