“Flawless and Adjacent to Museum Folkwang”

Mercure Hotel Plaza Essen
Ranked #1 of 69 Hotels in Essen
Reviewed 12 January 2013

The Mercure is a newer structure. We had an excellent experience. The staff at registration was welcoming, friendly, and helpful in English. The server in the bar for our complimentary glasses of Pino Grigio was quiet but friendly. The room was reasonably spacious and completely up-to-date.
The location has two strong merits: the Folkwang Museum is next door and the HBf is about five blocks away. One potential short-coming for travelers without a vehicle is the smaller number of nearby restaurants. Free checking of our bags after checkout while we visited the museum was a bonus that confirmed the Mercure's gracious spirit.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 December 2012

I’ve been twice to this hotel and both times was satisfied with everything^ rooms, room service, nice and attentive receptionists and everybody from the hotel met.
It’s not very far from the city center: if you like walking, it takes you approx. 10 minutes till you reach Hauptbahnhof (Main rail station) where many shops, shopping moles, cafes etc are located.
I highly recommend this hotel to everybody who stands for nice and cozy atmosphere in the hotel, good service and affordable prices.
Thank you!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 December 2012

We stayed here for the Essen Motor Show at Messe Essen, for which this hotel was very convenient.
I feel that the standard of the hotel far exceeded the price paid. The hotel was exceptionally clean and rooms were very well appointed. I have two wonderful nights sleep on the second floor the road noise was never a problem.
The only slight complaint that I have is that the breakfast is slightly overpriced for what was on offer and some people may find the beds a little hard (but for me this was fine)
Other than that I would have no hesitation in staying here again or recommending the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Charley007
Reviewed 13 November 2012

New hotel, exceptionally clean, spacious room, superb breakfast. Near the city center. The hotel has a good parking in the basement. My room faced the really busy and noisy street, so I could not open the window.

Wifi is not free, which is always a disappointment. The hotel has a swimming pool (on the third floor!) which I did not use however

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2012

This hotel is average for a few reasons. I have stayed in better 3 star hotels and considering it is a mercure the service was very bad at reception. I had to wait 10 minutes for my invoice to be prepared which is preposterous. The breakfast is good but the pool is very far away in another building and takes at least 5 mins to get too and much too small! I was unable to swim in it really. It was approx 7m long!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Stayed here for one night. It is a basic hotel which no doubt serves its purpose. But I found it soulless and a bit too Travelodgy for my liking. It is on a main road into Essen with a view of the busy road. It takes about 10 mins to walk into Essen town. There is a handy underground car park (E16 per day).

Our room was a family room at the front which was nice, light and spacious but our friends were in a standard at the back and it was pokey and dark. The beds were comfortable but the pillows were huge spongy polyester things and I found sleeping gave me a sore neck.

Food: the bar serves a very limited menu and at lunch all they could make was a pizza. There is no room service. The staff are helpful and friendly and the breakfast was good.

Leisure: The pool times are very very restricted and it is next door (though you can enter via the hotel though it isn't very well signed). However, when we used it it was empty which was nice.

Overall it served a purpose but I wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a light airy room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I spent one night here and let me be the first to say that I booked the hotel last minute as the rest of Essen was full and finding a room was quite tough.

This is a mid class hotel – nothing more and nothing less but I would not stay here again.
Firstly, I was given a disabled room – ok, not a great problem as I know the hotel was full but would have been nice to be informed on booking that it was likely I would get that room. Nasty smell of disinfectant in the room.

The shower was fitted out for a disabled person on a wet room type arrangement BUT the drain did not work properly resulting in the room being absolutely flooded. Utterly ridiculous for any room but especially for a disabled room. Oh and the room was right next to the lift shaft.

I arrived late in the hotel and dived into the bar for a quick dinner – what a mistake – I ordered a Schnitzel with potato salad or rather than should reach mayonnaise salad with potato. The plate was absolutely swimming with the stuff and I literally had to dig through to find any potato. Yuk!

So overall a thoroughly unpleasant experience. The staff are nice and friendly which rescues the hotel from one star.

Room Tip: Don't choose one near the lift!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business