“Good value and conveniently situated”

Ibis Essen Hauptbahnhof
Ranked #7 of 68 Hotels in Essen
GreenLeadersBronze level
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Good value and conveniently situated”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Since my last stay at this hotel the reception area and breakfast room have been very pleasingly refurbished. The bedrooms are functional but with very comfortable beds and air conditioning. The bathrooms are compact but have everything you need. I asked for a quiet room, which is difficult to provide as there is a busy road at the front and the railway station at the rear. I was on the 4th floor at the front and I could not hear the traffic at all. I had a very warm welcome at reception and the breakfast was really excellent. Although the bedrooms are the same I felt that the hotel had improved generally and was extremely good value for money. It would always be my first choice when visiting Essen.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
H1444-SB, Manager at Ibis Essen Hauptbahnhof, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear ibis guest,
we very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the ibis Essen Hauptbahnhof.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
Iris Lenzner
manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
IL
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Location - Very good ! short walk from the main station.

Dinning - Breakfast was not included in the price, but available. Many options around the area for a light breakfast.

Hotel and Room - Small, simple and average. Generally clean, but a bit tired. Had a room towards the train station. If you won't open the window and in case you're not a very light sleeper, won't be a problem.

WIFI - Free of charge in the room.

Room Tip: If not asked during check-in, remember to ask for smoking/non-smoking room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Aarhus
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights.
The location is very central near city center and railwaystation
The room was small, clean and neat.
My room was right next to the street, I could hear the traffic but I was not significantly disturbed.
Compared to the price it was a first class stay

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I last stayed at this hotel in 2005 and before then I was a regular visitor. In the 9 years since my last visit the rooms, reception, bar and breakfast area have been updated and all are now very pleasant with good air-conditioning. The only downside has been the loss of a full restaurant, but that did go around 2000. The team in reception were pleasant and welcoming. I had already warned them that I would be later than expected because of storm damage earlier in the week that had closed all rail lines in the area and they reassured me that there was no danger of me losing my room. The rooms in this hotel are just about large enough with a comfortable double bed, a workdesk with free (and good) wifi, TV with umpteen channels and reasonable storage space. The bedrooms are straight off the corridor with just the single door, so that there was a little corridor noise from other guests. The shower was good as were the other fittings. I took the buffet breakfast for each of the 3 days I was there and it was more than adequate with a wide range of cold meats, cheese, salads, rolls and croissants. There were also hot scramled and boild eggs, cereals and yoghurts and great value for money. The hotel is well sited, about 200 metres from the main station and the shopping area. Recommended to others for a value stopover.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front face the road which is fairly quiet. Rooms on the other side face the main railwa...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I stayed for 2 nights for a Trade Show. My room had a double bed which was comfortable. Room was on the smaller size but adequate. It was clean and comfortable. Bathroom tiny and a bit of a challenge. Breakfast was very acceptable. Service very courteous. Overall good value for money.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The location is good, near the train station on a busy street. The room and bathroom were small but in good working order. I did not get the breakfast, so I can't comment.The staff was efficient on arrival and departure. I lost my invoice and they sent me a spare one, which was kind.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Maribor, Slovenia
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I got a one bed room and i must say it is the smallest room i have ever seen. Looks like the room is built around the bed so it wasn't a pleasant experience. It is overlooking the main road so i my sleep was not good. Parking in the evening you can just forget about it beacuse it is buisy. There was a night receptionist (not Juan), the other man who seemed he had enough of everything, so in the evening when i wanted to get a dring i was almost affraid to ask, plus he was rude to the limit that he didn't even aproach to ask me and my friend what we would like to have. He just screamed it from the bar and left the drinks there. Not what i expect from Ibis.
Genarally looking i'm visiting Essen once per two month and this hotel will not see me anymore due to lack of professional touch, which i know Ibis has inside.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Essen hotels