“Can't Imagine a Better Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Schlosshotel Hugenpoet

Schlosshotel Hugenpoet
Ranked #9 of 68 Hotels in Essen
South Carolina
“Can't Imagine a Better Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

We loved our stay at this wonderful castle. The staff was pleasant and welcoming and all spoke good English (well, better than my German). It is old, but not so old that it is drafty and scary. The bed was extremely floofy and comfortable. I was wanting chocolate and we called down and a plate of homemade to-die-for chocolates was delivered to the room for a very reasonable price. Okay, that made my heaven!

As to the restaurant, we had lunch there one day. It was the best meal of our two week vacation all over Germany. Again, service was friendly, attentive, but not overbearing.

The halls are decorated with old chests and artwork reproductions, though there are originals downstairs. Just walking around touring the halls and the grounds was fun.

I am not steady on my feet, and getting in and out of the bathtub was difficult. There are rails in the tub, but it's hard for me to get to them. If you are older, this might be a consideration in selecting a room.

Room Tip: They might have a Crime Dinner downstairs, so rooms on the front not overlooking the restaurant woul...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DonnaSC
Schloss_Hugenpoet, Leiter Front Office at Schlosshotel Hugenpoet, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear DonnSC,

we appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Schlosshotel Hugenpoet. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
For your next stay with us, we will assign you a room with a more comfortable shower.

We look forward to serving you in the future.

With Kind regards

Vivian - J. Schiller
Front Office Manager l Concierge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

We received a warm welcome and then enjoyed an excellent meal at this beautiful property. Germany was enjoying a spell of warm weather that day and consequently we dined on the terrace overlooking the moat and extensive gardens. I've little to say about the meal other than it was expertly cooked and very tasty. Service was friendly and efficient. Despite the grand surroundings and us having full a la carte with wine and aperitifs I was pleasantly surprised at the bill, which weighed in at a reasonable 70E each. I've struggled in the past to find a restaurant in Germany which combines location and surroundings with good cooking - this one has it all!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Schloss_Hugenpoet, General Manager at Schlosshotel Hugenpoet, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Dear sir,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Schlosshotel Hugenpoet. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

Gesa Brennecken
Director
Addlestone
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

A lovely setting with nice views of the grounds. The food was excellent especially the shrimp and pumpkin soup the service was attentive and yet unobtrusive, I would recommend it strongly but be prepared to pay for the experience.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank keith_hawes
Schloss_Hugenpoet, Manager at Schlosshotel Hugenpoet, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear Mr. Hawes,

Michael and Petra Lübbert and all HUGEN
Paderborn, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed here for one night with the "casual at Hugenpoet" package. The room was lovely and bathroom quite luxurious. We were supposed to have a welcome cocktail however we eventually had to ask for it after we found ourselves a table in the restaurant. The menu for this package had one starter, one main course and one dessert so unbelievably no choice. My husband and I both decided to choose from the main menu. Unfortunately, the starters took nearly one hour to arrive. The food generally was good. The next morning the service at breakfast was very poor. We continuously had to call a member of staff when we wanted to order I would have expected the staff to be far more attentive as the restaurant was not busy at this time.
Overall, I was very disappointed as this is quite an expensive package which did not live up to my expectations so for this reason I would not recommend it. Also, I emailed the hotel after returning home (several weeks ago) to express my disappointment and as yet have had no reply.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Jacqueline D
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

This castle hotel is simply fabulous! An authentic castle with a long history, its quite magical. Well appointed, clean room. Wonderful friendly service. Beautiful, peaceful setting. Wifi included, unlike many places we stayed. Air conditioned. What a contemporary castle experience should be! Well worth going out of your way for!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathleen B
Amsterdam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed for just one night sadly - although it wasnt our first visit to this hotel.

On the positive side -

The staff are fantastic, both in the hotel and in the restuarant - friendly, helpful and clearly aiming for an excellent level of service.

The hotel itself is also wonderful, great location and look.

Our room (26) was perfect, comfortable and spacious (I know from previous stays though that not all rooms are the same, well it is a castle so of course not uniformly laid out)
Overall we had a great time .....

Negatively ....

One should say the breakfast on the terrace is a very fine thing, however at 25 euros per person its certainly not good value (two weeks ago we paid the same amount at a 5* in Koln and it was much better)

Dinner at the casual restuarant was pretty average to be honest - while the service was first rate the food was certainly middling/to just above average. Given the nice location in the courtyard and the lovely staff it was just a bit of a letdown. That applies to at least two of the three courses (and the starter was overseasoned too ,,,,)

The hotel has a policy of charging for Wifi thats not of this time (10 euros a day), something I do find (personally) annoying purely on principle. That said the info folder in the room in English says internet is free. In German it says 10 euros. After pointing this out we did get free internet without any argument.

Overall I'd definitely return here in future (well we WILL return here in future) but I do have the reservations mentioned above to note

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

Hugenpoet Manor (as they call it in English) was just what I had been looking for and what is not available in my own country Holland. Very surprising to find this in the industrial Ruhr area.
I had a junior suite, room 12, which is the room with green walls that one finds in pictures.
It has splendid antiques, nice paintings, a good bed ,not the best of my life, but they have soft top matrasses for those who need ultimate softness. Pillows a bit thin and soft.
TV with many channels incl. BBC. Also Russian, Azerbeidjan, Armenia, many Arabic channels but nothing from Holland and Belgium. The TV-menu was in Russian !
Blu ray player that also plays DVDs and CDs. A bit hard to find out how it worked but I could have asked that before. The service is marvelous and staff is very friendly.
Nice big bathroom with large bath, shower cubicle and toiletries of L'Occitane en Provence..
Room is quiet, has double glazing, shutters and curtains. Outside the planes can be heard a lot as the castle is right under the fllghtpath to Dusseldorf but I didnt find it very disturbing although I am very easily disturbed by sounds. But therefore the nice big garden is not an oasis of quietness.
No pool but there is a tennis couirt
The public rooms and corridors of the castle are full of paintings and antiques. Feels like a museum.. .
2 restaurants but I hardly ate anything so cannot judge.
Very nice is that before arrival I received a 2-page form on which I could fill in all my wishes and fax or email it to them. This was the first hotel in my life that does that.
Next time I will have to think harder.
Also nice is the surroundings. Reception can give you a walking map and it is really a nice area for a long walk and Kettwig (about 3 km to Old Town) is a nice old town. Also nice to walk up to Landsberg Castle (not open to public). The area is slightly hilly so very nice and some nice views.
One can arrive by hotel limousine from Kettwig station for 10 Euro. To Essen or Dussselof is 85 euro.
One such long transfer is included in Junior Suite. Taxi from Kettwig was also 10 Euro. .

Minibar with free soft drinks (not the beer and champagne) and some fruit and bites on the table. .

Room Tip: If you can afford a Junior Suite, ask for number 12 It overlooks the park.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dutchguy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essen
Südviertel
Mercure Hotel Plaza Essen
Sheraton Essen Hotel
#7 of 68 in Essen
Boutique Hotel Villa am Ruhrufer...
#3 of 19 in Muelheim an der Ruhr

Been to Schlosshotel Hugenpoet? Share your experiences!