“Converted Coal Mine...Too Cute!”
Review of Alte Lohnhalle

Alte Lohnhalle
Ranked #2 of 29 Essen B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This hotel was a pleasant surprise. It doesn't necessarily have luxury accommodations but it's perfect if you're spending a few nights in area or traveling around the surrounding cities. The hotel is centrally located in between many major site seeing travel destinations. The city itself is small and doesn't leave a lot to be explored however it's perfect if you are looking for accommodations outside of a big city. We were traveling with 3 adults and unfortunately we needed to get an additional room for my adult son. The rooms are much too small to fit more than 2 people comfortably nor will they allow it. The room for two was much more spacious, was clean and had a nice shower, however the room for one had a much smaller shower and was difficult to use if you are an average size person. The service was adequate and if I had one suggestion, it would be for the woman at the desk to be a bit more pleasant and happy to see their guests. We did have one issue with a huge difference in price in ordering bottled water. the next day the woman at the desk argued with us and told us that no one would have told us the water was so inexpensive but took it off the bill in the end. Why argue, just aim to please and smile.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to accommodate two if you like a decent size shower.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 June 2014

This is an interesting off the beaten path hotel. Great for people who are not looking for luxury accommodations. There is a great wine shop in the same parking lot. A little noisy towards the back so ask for a room in the front. We'd stay there again. Very clean and an interesting building.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2014

During our Eastern weekend we were visiting the UNESCO Welterbe Zollverein and more industrial heritages in this region like the Heinrichhütte in Hattingen. We stayed for two days in the Alte Lohnhalle. Very kind personal, good breakfast and comfortable rooms. Sufficient good restaurants at walking distance. We enjoyed it very much and had a great time.

Room Tip: Different room sizes available on the west side. In particular the corner room is very convenient an...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2013

It's located a bit of the grid, but that's part of the charm. Helpful and friendly staff. Excellent and copious breakfast. The real treat is being able to overnight in this building. It has a great atmosphere.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I really loved this hotel! It's a converted mine and has managed to maintain lots of the original features, whilst also offering a modern twist. When I arrived I was greeted very warmly and told I'd been upgraded to a suite. This consisted of a work room with a decent sized desk and comfy chairs as well as a massive bedroom with double bed and more seating areas. There were 3 large windows so plenty of light. I didn't try the restaurant, as it is closed on Sundays (unless you've arranged in advance with the hotel) & also Mondays. However, there is a restaurant just opposite the hotel, so you won't go hungry. Breakfast is tasty and there is a good choice. For anyone with mobility issues, there are no lifts, just a staircase (see photo). I advise anyone to try this hotel if you're looking for something a bit different, to be treated well and to have a good night's sleep (it's nice & quiet at night).

Room Tip: The suite I had (no 10) was very spacious & pleasant.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 June 2013

The hotel is located buildings of a former mine that have been transformed to a hotel. The interior is modern and clean. I had a duplex with the living room and the bath room on the first floor and the bed on a gallery. The bathroom was very tiny. The surrounding is really calme.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 July 2010

I had my money and credit cards stolen before I arrived at the hotel. I was given coffee, offered food, and the staff contacted my bank in England and also the police on my behalf. So much kindness and friendliness was shown to me throughout my 10 day stay. My room was large, clean, bright and comfortable. I highly recommend this hotel also because of the history and the way in which the building is preserved. ok, no lift but ' bags are taken to the room on your behalf anyway. There are wonderful books in the lounge area , the building is facinating.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo