“Average, but not a lot of choice in Hagen”

Mercure Hotel Hagen
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Hagen
Melbourne, Australia
“Average, but not a lot of choice in Hagen”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel is 'Fine' I've stayed here three times for work and each time it's ok. Outside and in it's a little run-down, and like many central european hotels, it's not 'luxurious' and when you see '4' stars, this means 2.5-3 starts if you're from a new world country. It's basic (arguably the rooms are a little 'cell like') but it's generally clean and functional. Some rooms have very small bathrooms, others reasonable sized so if you want a reasonable amount of space, perhaps ask. This is a fine place if you don't intend to spend much time 'in' your room and the options in Hagen are limited so this is one of the better places for a more 'international' style hotel. The highlight of the hotel is definitely the food. The Breakfast buffet is good, fresh and has a nice range of options, and the evening meals are also of a very good standard. The staff speak english and are generally helpful and this makes up a little for the room standard.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a larger bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank EXPLR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Gretna, Louisiana 70056
Reviewed 5 April 2014

i will be back in a couple weeks .i love the room.next time i will use the hottub to relax.the beds were so comfortable .the breakfeast was good ..the desk people were so wonderl and nice .im hoping to use the pool when it warms up.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed here very recently on a business trip. It did not look especially welcoming from the outside, but do persevere! The staff were very cordial without being over-attentive, the room was perfectly acceptable in all aspects, with an excellent shower unit above the bath. A wide & comprehensive variety of breakfast options made for a good start to busy days. Evening meals were well-presented and of a high standard. The small bar area was welcoming with a friendly barman. in short, no complaints whatsoever. it may be a chain hotel but I thought the staff at this Mercure were a credit to the organisation. I didn't get a chance to see anything of Hagen (business elsewhere) but worth a stay if you happen to be in the locality. Possibly one downside - busy roads around the hotel - but the sound insulation was good with closed windows and the air conditioning acceptable.

Room Tip: Maybe see if there is a 'quiet side' - but not really an issue, I think.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SolarPanelPhil
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 1 November 2013

This a 4 star hotel which is v close to the centre of Hagen. Standard Mercure style rooms and service can be expected. The rooms are small and I found the bed to be comfortable. It seems that Germans like super soft pillows because all the hotels I have stayed in Germany have these. Doesn't work for me though and most nights I ended up with a neck pain. The big no-no for me- housekeeping is not good and twice my used coffee cups/spoons were not replaced. I also found hair on the carpet and I wouldn't recommend walking barefoot in the room.
I stayed here in winter and the heating was too high for me, on most nights I had to open the windows! The hotel breakfast is very good but the lunch/dinner quality is not v good. Choice is limited and I opted for a vegetable pasta which came with no sauce or seasoning. I would recommend a 5 minute walk to the nearby town centre, which has many restaurants (and I would particularly recommend Artischoke near the cinema & bowling centre). Check in/out was hassle free and I liked that the hotel has many English tv channels. Staff are courteous and friendly.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The hotel itself was fine. Comfortable rooms (though it little too hot!) and very clean. Breakfast was great, and reception staff were lovely. We were only there as a stopover, and a quick search of Hagen didn't reveal much in the way of decent eateries so we opted to have dinner in the hotel which was a big mistake... It was quite pricey (80 Euro for 3 of us with one drink each) so we expected decent quality. Unfortunately it was very mixed, and I made the mistake of telling the waitress that I had left the soup because it had too much salt in it. After that, she gave us the cold shoulder, and even though there were only six tables in use, she studiously ignored us! There was a further difficulty over the main course - I thought we were getting poached salmon, having specifically asked if it was served hot. We got two huge pieces of cold, salt cured salmon which we could not eat, so I asked for just the potatoes and veg with some extra bread and she looked at us in a quite appalled manner. Her avoidance tactics then rose to Olympic level (hence our only getting one drink each!). It was a grim experience which really spoiled our stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hagen
Campushotel
Ringhotel Zweibruecker Hof
Mercure Hotel Luedenscheid
Mercure Hotel Luedenscheid
#1 of 6 in Ludenscheid

Been to Mercure Hotel Hagen? Share your experiences!