“"Observing eye, delicious breakfast attraction, stories to tell"!”

Leonardo Hotel Moenchengladbach
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Monchengladbac...
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Holiday Inn Hotel in Möchengladbach, remains a lovely, comfortable and enjoyable place to stay in.
All members of staff are polite, friendly, diligent and supportive. One major reason why I choose this hotel to stay is, the welcoming and friendly service and behaviour of these wonderful people; whether it´s the staff at the reception, the waitresses, waiters or even the cleaning staff! They all simply do a super job!
Some points on the food perhaps, wouldn´t go amiss.
The breakfast is always good and varied, though I´ve noticed more recently, that the lovely-tasting fried tomatoes with cheese on top, are no longer served. I will speak to the chief cook, when I visit this hotel again next week and see, if this “delicious breakfast attraction”, can be served again in the mornings.
The bar food isn´t really the hit; it isn´t varied enough and since Holiday Inn has officially become, Leonardo, the only bar food addition is, four different variations of burgers! Quite honestly, not very appetising or appealing!
I have observed staff member´s working hours; the tasks they carry out, and so on. What is patently obvious to the “observing eye” is the fact, that the young apprentices, especially, do many more hours than I believe to be, “fair”! When a receptionist leaves her place of work just before midnight, but stands to attention the next morning at 07:00, there´s something not quite right! How can a person leave her or his place of work so late; travel home, eat and drink something and eventually shower – and sleep, but still be at work within less than seven hours?
Perhaps I´m naïve for not knowing, that this is “normal practice” in many or all hotels? On a positive note I would very like to mention, that these staff members in Holiday Inn (Leonardo) do not complain; always wear smiles for their guests and, find the strength, motivation and energy, to “fight another day”!
I wish to give a tip to fellow travelers, who might visit this specific hotel in Mönchengladbach. Please consider this important fact, that despite the slogging hours the staff works; regardless of the tasks, chores and service expected and demanded from them, they are still human beings. They should be treated with respect; we all should consider their working situation and the emotional and physical consequences, it has upon them. Yes, we´re tired or even exhausted, when we reach a hotel but, hotel staff also have their own “stories to tell”!

Room Tip: I wish to give a tip to fellow travelers, who might visit this specific hotel in Mönchengladbach. P...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Thank David Alexander... F

Reviewed 5 June 2014

The title and the rating probably sums it up. I would rate this hotel average for short business trips.

To start with, the hotel is old... and it shows. I stayed for two nights. They have got the basics right - clean room, clean sheets, clean toilet. The staff was helpful. The internet was part of the package, but there was no refrigerator in the room. There is a restaurant on the ground floor with limited menu options. Parking is free for residents for 60 mins.

The hotel was located very close to the workplace.

There is a small "The Pub" close to the hotel - on your left once you exit the hotel. This is run by a Turkish guy, and the beer is cheap (he charged 1.5 Euro for the same beer that the hotel charged 3.00 Euro). There are lot of nice eating places if you climb the up the hill and go around the church (you can see the church right across the street).

Overall a decent place to stay, if you do not have to pay for your car parking.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

While it is always a pleasure to go back to Germany the poor connect that the German has over Asians and specifically Indians is a forgetful experience. The hotel is basic and lacks any business visitor needs such as free internet even in the lobby. The breakfast is just ordinary with no change during the week I stayed there. Not a experience to remember.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 May 2014

In the past I spent sometime in Leonardo Hotel Munchen because of business trips. My experience was fully satisfactory, even higher than my expectations.
Therefore, due also to business, I booked a room for a week in Leonardo Hotel Moenchengladbach expecting kind of same level. It is obvious that every building has different facilities, for example in Munchen the rooms had small balconies which make the stay more confortable.
However I was hoping the same relation quality-price but I was wrong, either Leonardo chain framerules have dramatically changed in the last 4 years or every Leonardo has own rules and fees.
In Leonardo Hotel Moenchengladbach you have to pay a very expensive internet rates; the parking is open top but still you also have to pay; no fridge at the room only a vending machine which unfortunatelly was useless for me since I had no euros but Swiss coins ...
At least the staff is friendly and rooms are clean... like mostly in any other average hotel.

Room Tip: Book directly by contacting Leonardo, do not use internet agencies which most probably distort the q...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Have been here a number of times whilst visiting the area. Exactly what you would hope for in a mid-range business hotel. Spacious rooms, good pool, very good breakfast facilities. A bit dated, but very clean. Have already booked for next month.

Room Tip: Front of the hotel has a good view of the park, and isn't too noisy. The back is very quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Keir H
Reviewed 29 October 2013

The hotel building is old (the elevator was buit in 1972). I was not expecting much after some comnents I´ve read here. We got a room on the 4th floor and it looked new and fresh. I´ve stayed there for 5 nights to attend K fair in Dusseldorf Messe. The breakfast costs 17,50 eur, too much money for me, so we went to a nearby McDonalds instead. The TV was not working and I complained with the reception staff, that tought I didn´t know how to turn the TV on, it took sometime to make them agree to check the TV.
I´m a platinum member from IHG, but according to the hotel I´m a gold member (even showing my platinum card they didn´t believe me). No room upgrades and no rooms amenites because of that.
The water outside the refrigerator is charged (5 eur), my mistake thinking it was a gift (as it is in other hotels).
At check out system was not working and I had to leave my credit card so they could charge any extras. The parking is charged, but I still don´t know why, we are away from a central location and a free parking is just across the street.
I´ve used my priority club points to stay here, probably would not stayed here if I had to pay. Overall stay was OK, but that´s it. For sure there are better hotels in the area

Room Tip: Get a room facing away from the street
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank garthurreview
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Moenchengladbach, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear garthurreview,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Platinum Member and writing us feedback. It is nice to know that you found our location to be suitable for your needs. However, please accept my apologies if the service received was not up to par and if the condition of the amenities were a disappointment. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. we will use your comments to improve our efforts.

Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Stayed here recently on a business trip, and even though 1970s-never-been-renovated hotels can have a certain morbid charm, this one is just run down, plain and simple.

Was supposed to stay 2 nights (1x Monday and 1x Thursday) but cancelled the second stay because if below reasons.

Positives first: What makes the stay tolerable is the very courteous staff, but that’s unfortunately the only positive. Location is ok if you have business in/around Moenchengladbach

Negatives: Whole place has a decaying and stale smell to it, a colorful mix of old/wet carpet, cold smoke and room freshener (which obviously cant contain the smell). Especially the rooms seem to have been smoker rooms in the distant past and the smoke has permeated drapes, carpets, beds etc over the years. The smell gave me a headache. Opening the window is only a semi-good idea as a main road is right outside the window (if the windows are closed however the noise is is not audible)

The mattresses are more like hammocks and probably have never been renewed since the opening of the hotel (judging on the architecture it must have been mid 1970s).

All furniture is very old and looks the part with stains, scratches, knocked off corners etc

I will certainly not come back to this place as there are nice alternatives (e.g. Hotel Freiraum) which might be little more expensive, but clean, neat and tudy.

Cannot comment on food as I lost interest by lookign at the above to eat in this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Auro A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Moenchengladbach, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Dear Auro A,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate you taking time to help us to continually improve our guests experience.

Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. I apologize for the shortfalls during your recent stay with us and regret that you did not find our hotel to your liking. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations.

Your experience is definitely not reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves with. As such, your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future improvements where possible. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Dhan M