“Sleeping in a different setting”

Alcatraz Hotel am Japanischen Garten
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Kaiserslautern
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Nice experience to stay over in a converted former prison. One can choose between a small cell or a somewhat extended room.
Good price for the offered quality.
Lot of parking place and only 5 minutes walking from the city center.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Filip C

Reviewed 9 April 2013

It's a great place to stay. Nice people, and the hotel is very centrally located in Kaiserslautern - very close to the fantastic Japanese Garden. We have visited the hotel several times, and each time we have been very satisfied. However, only Internet access in the reception area.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Ever wanted to know how it is to sleep in prison? This is the chance without the need to commit a crime. This old prison has been converted to a nice hotel without loosing the flair. Thick walls, reception and bar behind iron bars abd if looking out of the window one can see the barbed wire.. Nevertheless i did sleep very well and teh service and the breakfast is good. The city centre is just a short walk away..

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank ChristofG
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We got lost trying to locate this hotel at night. It's hard to find.

The hotel was extremely clean and decor was modern (think IKEA). I picked the hotel simply because I couldn't resist staying in an old jail cell. Normally, I don't consider rooms without a private shower and that have bunk beds but I made an exception and am glad I did. The 2-person cell room was small but we had no problem with that. There was a small flat screen TV. The small window had a cute black and white striped curtain. Couldn't unlock the door so we had to go back to the front desk for a new key.

My companions had two different single "comfort" rooms. Though they were the same price, one of the "comfort" rooms was much nicer and bigger. One of my companions had trouble with the lighting in the comfort room bathroom -- possibly because they were high-tech, energy-saving lights -- and wasn't able to turn the light on.

They have a 24-hour bar in a jail cell! The buffet breakfast was wonderful and in a nice room. We will fondly remember our fun 1-night stay in this former German jail in Kaiserslautern.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank beergarden
Reviewed 28 March 2012

This hotel is a beautifully-converted prison set very close to Kaiserslautern town centre and about 20 minutes walk (or a short taxi ride) from the train station.

We stayed in the prison cell rooms and they were spotlessly clean and comfortable, although basic - just a bed, table and chair for furnishings. There was no wardrobe and the toilet is just in the corner of the room rather than in a separate en-suite. But as it's a single room and you're the only person in there, this isn't a problem. There are separate shower rooms on each floor (one for men, one for women) and these are well fitted and also spotlessly clean. The hotel website indicates they do have "comfort rooms" with double beds and proper en-suites so if the prison cells aren't for you, you could probably get something a little more luxurious.

Breakfast was lovely - choose from cereals, fruit juices, yoghurts, bread and croissants, a wide selection of cold meats and cheeses and one hot dish of scrambled eggs. There's a small bar in the hotel foyer and the hotel has free wi-fi.

I really enjoyed staying here and would do so again. The only reason I've dropped it to 4 instead of 5 was that the staff seemed a little confused at both our check-in and check-out. We perhaps had an unusual booking (2 people staying for 3 nights, 1 person staying for 2 nights) but when we showed up, the guy on reception seemed to hum and haw for ages trying to find our bookings and changing the room numbers beside our names - I think they'd maybe put us into rooms that weren't that close and he was trying to change us into rooms beside each other, which was appreciated. Then at check-out I was initially given somebody else's bill, then they gave us a duplicate of one bill instead of our own individual bills, then finally they managed to cobble something together, although we've kept the bills in case we ever go back and it turns out they think we haven't paid! They did sort everything eventually, and it was the only minor hassle in an otherwise fantastic stay, but sadly it means I couldn't give them 5 stars. I would, however, recommend this hotel to anybody who is looking for a clean, comfortable and reasonably priced place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2011

First the good... downtown location, free parking, good breakfast, clean, and comfortable bed and bedding. The problem , though with a hotel in an old jails the rooms are going to be small, there is no way around it. I had to close my suitcase to open the door! I should point out that the high ceilings do open up the room some. My issue is that at this price point I can get a more spacious room in Kaiserslautern. Will I come again? Perhaps on business, probably not if I am paying out of pocket.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 18 June 2011

The "jail" concept was a little scary but I was pleasantly surprised by how sweet this hotel was. We took the regular rooms (not the prison cell ones), which were a little basic- no mini bar or room service-, but they were spotless and nicely decorated. The staff were incredibly friendly and always happy to have a chat and give us recommendations of what to do in Kaiserslautern. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family