“Magic!”
Review of La Petite Bouchee

La Petite Bouchee
Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Witheridge
Price range: £30 - £35
Description: Welcome to our multi-award winning brasserie, La Petite Bouchée, based in the pretty village of Witheridge, equidistant between Tiverton and South Molton. Literally translated as " The Small Mouthful " La Petite Bouchée is anything but and 98% of our food is either locally sourced within a 10 mile radius ( fish 23miles ) or homegrown. We are the only restaurant in N.Devon to be a certified carbon free restaurant and we have a very fine tuned no waste policy in place. If you are looking for a friendly bistro style restaurant with excellent service and a menu to match then look no further. You'll receive a warm welcome and an authentic taste of France using fabulous Devon produce. ( As seen on Ch4 Hidden Restaurants with Michel Roux Jnr)
Reviewed 21 December 2022

I booked La Petite Bouchée a while ago to cook a meal for four for a special occasion and admit to being anxious about having someone using my kitchen in my presence. I needn’t have worried, Anita-Clare arrived armed with a small, cool box-cum-flight bag and swept in like a culinary version of Mary Poppins.

Not being a great fan of formality, I had expressly asked for a casual and informal approach, Anita-Clare prepped, cooked, served and removed the most incredible food in an unobtrusive and relaxed fashion. I am dairy-free and hate to ask for special treatment on my behalf but my requests were very well met; every course was dairy-free however, nobody would be able to tell ingredients had been swapped out - from start, to finish the meal was utterly fantastic. Everything was spot on.

Taking inspiration from suggested likes and dislikes Anita-Clare had carefully selected three courses of delicious food; prawn and scallop rillettes, duck breast on roti and lemon cheesecake, as with every skilled craftsman the entire thing seemed to be effortlessly executed, but the results were superb! My concern about formality was unfounded, the chef put us all at ease, we felt pampered and very spoilt. At the end of the meal, the kitchen was cleaned, the washing up done, Mary Poppins took her bag and left four very happy customers. Thank you Anita-Clare, you’re a complete star!

Date of visit: December 2022
Anita-Clare F, Owner at La Petite Bouchee, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2022

Claire, wow. Thank you so so much. It was a joy and an honour to cook for you all. Thank you for your generous hospitality. Making things dairy-free is fun and fuels my creativity. I love a challenge and it is absolutely no problem whatsoever. I look forward to cooking you further dairy free meals in the years to come. ❤️

Reviewed 19 December 2022

I’ve wanted to visit LPB for about 4 years but the stars had never aligned then covid happened and scuppered my plans.

I was sincerely hoping that my long awaited supper plans weren’t like that youth club disco snog with the chap you’d fancied all year but would turn out to be nothing like you’d thought!!! Turns out that on this occasion I need not have worried and it was better than expected - is that actually. We’d had a pretty rubbish week with one thing or another but our Friday night supper restored our faith that there was some little pockets of light in the world. The food of was to die for thanks A-C, the service was just perfect, champagne cocktail perfectly executed and the setting left us pinching each other cheeks!

Date of visit: December 2022

Thank you both so much for your generous review. I am so delighted we managed to make the end of your rubbish week better. Cooking for all of you definitely made my rubbish week so much better, so thank you 🙏🏻

Reviewed 11 June 2022 via mobile

Oh boy, what can I say. I held a dinner party for my husbands special birthday and Anita Claire came to cook the meal. The food was out of this world, clean plates indicated everyone thought the same. Anita Claire made it so special, all the cooking done AND she cleared up……….oh joy oh rapture! Every course was cooked with love and we ate it with love. A super super evening thanks to a dedicated talented chef. Thank you so much will certainly do this again very soon.

Date of visit: June 2022
1  Thank Janis888
Anita-Clare F, Owner at La Petite Bouchee, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2022

It was a pleasure and may I say? An honour to come and cook for you. It was lovely to catch up with you and meet your gorgeous dogstar too. See you very soon

Reviewed 5 June 2022

This was our first visit to La Petite Bouchee and will certainly not be our last. On arrival we were warmly greeting by the young waitress, followed by the chef/patron who remembered we'd not long moved to the area. All our food was excellent, my steak was cooked perfectly (I like it rare) and was melt in the mouth. My husband loved his moules main his only regret being he didn't have any bread to mop up with but he managed with a spoon. All in all, it was a lovely evening with a relaxed intimate atmosphere - it's always a good sign when all the guests end the evening chatting.

Date of visit: June 2022
1  Thank Michael B
La-Petite B, Owner at La Petite Bouchee, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2022

Thank you so much for your very generous review. It was a pleasure to welcome you both. On the subject of bread. We always used to put bread on the tables each week and 90% of it was thrown away. This is the second bread comment in a matter of weeks so it might be worth revisiting. Thanks so much for the prompt. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future. Kindest A-C

Reviewed 20 May 2022

Attention carnivors just had a mushroom bourbuign it is to die for, such depth of flavours if you don't try you'll never know how great this is, again Anita and her crew have surpassed them selves

Date of visit: May 2022
1  Thank 342cliver
Anita-Clare F, Owner at La Petite Bouchee, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2022

Thanks so much lovely. Strangely more carnivores have eaten the mushroom Bourgogne than vegetarians !
Thanks from all the team 😊