“Absolutely wonderful! A golden nuget in Mainz, Germany!!!”
Review of Hotel Schwan Mainz

Hotel Schwan Mainz
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mainz
Hotel Schwan Mainz
Ranked #28 of 41 Hotels in Mainz
Annapolis, Maryland
“Absolutely wonderful! A golden nuget in Mainz, Germany!!!”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Klaus & Uschi could not have been more lovely & welcoming. This is the second time that I have been fortunate enough to stay at this quaint, elegant, and charming hotel. You feel like you have stepped into one a the best finds in Mainz. The rooms are perfect from the pine floors to the overall decore of the room. The breakfast is typical European with the rolls, bread, cheeses, ham, cereal, yogurt, and made to order eggs cooked by Klaus. I would highly suggest that you take the opportunity and stay at the best hotel in Mainz. I left with knowing that I was not only a guest, but family as well. I hope to return sooner than later. Would highly suggest that you consider this hotel when traveling through Mainz.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
Amherst, NY
Reviewed 22 November 2010

I booked the Hotel Schwan due to its excellent location and what I thought would give me an idea of authentic Germany. Location was good (although there are other options equally good). Everything else was as bad as it can be!! No lights inn the hallway and room dark (single lamp on desk) and cold (ineffective radiators). The single beds appeared to be from 1940 - lumpy - and the bedcover dirty to the point I was afraid to sit on it.
When I went to complain to the chain smoking hostile owners I was told I was free to leave if I didn't like their hotel but would have to pay for the three night stay in full - saying they couldn't fill the room again with such short notice...although previously they had told me the hotel was full due to a convention in town (hard to believe as only saw one other guest).
I proceeded to check out, paying two nights instead of three, moved to the Favorite Hotel (15 minute walk away) and had an absolutely lovely stay - for a lower nightly rate!!

Buyer beware. This hotel is by far the worst I have ever seen!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
6 Thank suezlopez

Travellers are raving about these Mainz hotels

Arizona
Reviewed 8 June 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel and loved it. The owners were wonderful, so nice and welcoming. I loved being in Mainz and staying at Hotel Schwan put us in a wonderful spot, we were in the middle of everything. I would love to go back and would be happy to stay here again!!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Toronto
Reviewed 19 September 2008

Booked the hotel by contacting the owners via e-mail and phone from Toronto, Canada.
Stayed Sept. 15-16, 2008.
Had a confirmation letter from owners for three (3) nights stay after giving them my credit card number to secure the booking but when we arrived were told that we can only stay for two (2) nights and have to move to another hotel.
Please stay away from this hotel especially if you are a non-smoker. I was inhaling second hand smoke in our room on the 2nd floor coming from the owners chain smoking on the ground floor. Don't get excited about its supposedly historical past..it is not worth it. Dirty, smelly and dark environment. I am also notifying the Mainz tourism re: problems we experienced with this hotel as we believe that the proprietors need to be closely monitored by the German Tourism authorities.
A.I. Arungayan
contact me at [-] if you are interested in knowing more. I just don't want anybody else to experience the awful mess these proprietors put us through. They almost ruined our entire vacation in Germany.

Stayed September 2008
6 Thank riccoshadow
Washington, DC
Reviewed 15 September 2008

The Hotel Schwann is as well located as you could want, right on the main market square where the abundant weekly food markets are held every Friday, Saturday and Tuesday. We finished a Rhine River cruise in Mainz and the Schwann was our home base for three days post. The hotel is an easy walk from the cruise ships. The owners, Klaus and his wife, are charming and very helpful when strategizing a day's activities. The hotel is clean and comfortable, historic and as authentic as it gets. In good weather, request a room that does not face the 'Dom' church as that side hosts a very popular outdoor restaurant. Speaking of restaurants, the owners' children operate one of the best traditional German restaurant/tavern's across the alley way, in a building equally as historic and ancient as the Schwann. Breakfast is substantial. As a base for walking the 'Altstadt' or old city of Mainz (and we did a lot of walking), the Schwann was perfect. This is a quirky place as some other posters have mentioned, but for an authentic German hotel, frequented by Germans themselves, with comfort and superb location, I doubt you will do better for the price.

• Liked — Location, authentic charm.
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank DCDcflyer
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 August 2008

I recently stayed in the Schwan for 2 nights, while at a friends wedding and had a very nice time in this traditional German Hotel. The Hotel was very clean and breakfast was excellent, if a bit German (which is what I expected). It is set just off the main market square and so was in an excellent position for exploring this delightful small city.
I am actually writing this review in response to the other reviews of this hotel. My partner and I were going to our friends wedding in Mainz and we booked the hotel as it was one of 2 that some of the guests were booked in to. Two days before we went we checked goggle maps for directions and clicked on the review link. Needless to say we were horrified by what we read and immediately tried to change our booking as both of the other reviews were awful. However we could not change our booking. When we arrived we did not know what to expect but to our surprise the room and en suite bathroom were spotless. It followed on that nobody was smoking and the Gentleman who runs the place, Klaus, was very helpful and friendly. He booked taxis on the last day for us and when we were late for breakfast he still cooked for us. Yes he did require payment in cash but I had been warned by people that a lot of places in Germany only take cash so I was not surprised. Also it is a bit noisy during the day but then it is right beside the market and we just got up and went and had a look. Overall our stay here was not the most amazing experience but we enjoyed it and found nothing to complain about.

• Liked — The traditional feel and its location
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank SimonBrady
Fresno, California
Reviewed 6 June 2008

This place is the worst hotel that I have ever stayed at. If you like "Quaint" which I think means dirty, small & no comfort..then this is the place for you. The owners are constant chain smokers that spend all day in the eating area..smoking, smoking & more smoking. I am a smoker but enough was enough. I decided to go to a real hotel after 2 days (I was booked for almost 2 weeks), We were given nothing in the way of refunds so I kept the room in hopes of finding a homeless person to allow to stay there. I did spend 2 great weeks at The Hyatt Regency.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed March 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Amglo