“Terrible Stay”
Review of Hotel Schwan Mainz

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mainz
Hotel Schwan Mainz
Ranked #30 of 41 Hotels in Mainz
Reviewed 3 October 2011

They say you have to start with the good things in a critic. So here you go:
One good thing though it is quite central located...
here the rest:
In the first night we had to switch on the light as some people were entering our room. Turned out it was the attached room separated with a thin wooden door, and not in our room. So much about the noise level in the Hotel. The single glassed windows were also not very much keeping the outside noise outside. The bed as hard and comfortable for a Fakir i guess, but not us.
Well if you like a "familiar" place that means someone bothering you with a constant chatter then you might like to go there.
We will not go back there even if we have to sleep on a camping ground.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank Brat J

Reviewed 5 September 2011

I am so glad I did not pay attention to some of the earlier overly negative reviews. I was looking for a nice authentic, German hotel in downtown Mainz, and I found one in the Hotel Schwans! So much better than a big-name chain hotel. Awesome location… extremely close to the Dom and all the wonderful restaurants, shopping and open-air markets right in the adjoining downtown Mainz platz. The proprietors were very friendly and helpful. Klaus spoke excellent English and his wife, Uschi, enjoyed helping me with my German skills. I did not have the opportunity to try dinner at the Schwans, but was very happy with the breakfast. Typical self-serve German breakfast with the wondeful rolls and jams, meats, cheeses, tomatoes with mozzarella, and nice strong German coffee. Klaus was very insistent to make me eggs and bacon, so I had to say yes. I have been travelling to Germany off and on for over 30 years and was very pleased with my accommodation. My room was clean, bright, and beautifully decorated. The mattress was one of the best I have slept on in any hotel…nice and firm, with just the right amount of “give”. The interior of the hotel was tastefully decorated inclcluding live Orchids on the restaurant tables and in tmy room. There were live grape vines encircling the entrance floor. Very lovely. I was also pleased that the hotel had an elevator, since I was on the top floor in the lovely “Riesling Room”. The Hotel Schwans is also close to the Rhine River, which made for nice walks. Mainz is a lovely historic city and my visit to the Hotel Schwans made it even that much better.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Muchgrayhair
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Klaus & Uschi could not have been more lovely & welcoming. This is the second time that I have been fortunate enough to stay at this quaint, elegant, and charming hotel. You feel like you have stepped into one a the best finds in Mainz. The rooms are perfect from the pine floors to the overall decore of the room. The breakfast is typical European with the rolls, bread, cheeses, ham, cereal, yogurt, and made to order eggs cooked by Klaus. I would highly suggest that you take the opportunity and stay at the best hotel in Mainz. I left with knowing that I was not only a guest, but family as well. I hope to return sooner than later. Would highly suggest that you consider this hotel when traveling through Mainz.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 November 2010

I booked the Hotel Schwan due to its excellent location and what I thought would give me an idea of authentic Germany. Location was good (although there are other options equally good). Everything else was as bad as it can be!! No lights inn the hallway and room dark (single lamp on desk) and cold (ineffective radiators). The single beds appeared to be from 1940 - lumpy - and the bedcover dirty to the point I was afraid to sit on it.
When I went to complain to the chain smoking hostile owners I was told I was free to leave if I didn't like their hotel but would have to pay for the three night stay in full - saying they couldn't fill the room again with such short notice...although previously they had told me the hotel was full due to a convention in town (hard to believe as only saw one other guest).
I proceeded to check out, paying two nights instead of three, moved to the Favorite Hotel (15 minute walk away) and had an absolutely lovely stay - for a lower nightly rate!!

Buyer beware. This hotel is by far the worst I have ever seen!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
6  Thank suezlopez
Reviewed 8 June 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel and loved it. The owners were wonderful, so nice and welcoming. I loved being in Mainz and staying at Hotel Schwan put us in a wonderful spot, we were in the middle of everything. I would love to go back and would be happy to stay here again!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 September 2008

Booked the hotel by contacting the owners via e-mail and phone from Toronto, Canada.
Stayed Sept. 15-16, 2008.
Had a confirmation letter from owners for three (3) nights stay after giving them my credit card number to secure the booking but when we arrived were told that we can only stay for two (2) nights and have to move to another hotel.
Please stay away from this hotel especially if you are a non-smoker. I was inhaling second hand smoke in our room on the 2nd floor coming from the owners chain smoking on the ground floor. Don't get excited about its supposedly historical past..it is not worth it. Dirty, smelly and dark environment. I am also notifying the Mainz tourism re: problems we experienced with this hotel as we believe that the proprietors need to be closely monitored by the German Tourism authorities.
A.I. Arungayan
contact me at [-] if you are interested in knowing more. I just don't want anybody else to experience the awful mess these proprietors put us through. They almost ruined our entire vacation in Germany.

Stayed: September 2008
6  Thank riccoshadow
Reviewed 15 September 2008

The Hotel Schwann is as well located as you could want, right on the main market square where the abundant weekly food markets are held every Friday, Saturday and Tuesday. We finished a Rhine River cruise in Mainz and the Schwann was our home base for three days post. The hotel is an easy walk from the cruise ships. The owners, Klaus and his wife, are charming and very helpful when strategizing a day's activities. The hotel is clean and comfortable, historic and as authentic as it gets. In good weather, request a room that does not face the 'Dom' church as that side hosts a very popular outdoor restaurant. Speaking of restaurants, the owners' children operate one of the best traditional German restaurant/tavern's across the alley way, in a building equally as historic and ancient as the Schwann. Breakfast is substantial. As a base for walking the 'Altstadt' or old city of Mainz (and we did a lot of walking), the Schwann was perfect. This is a quirky place as some other posters have mentioned, but for an authentic German hotel, frequented by Germans themselves, with comfort and superb location, I doubt you will do better for the price.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family