“Lovely stay, terrific location, charming owners.”
Review of Hotel Schwan Mainz

Hotel Schwan Mainz
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mainz
Hotel Schwan Mainz
Ranked #28 of 41 Hotels in Mainz
Washington, DC
“Lovely stay, terrific location, charming owners.”
Reviewed 15 September 2008

The Hotel Schwann is as well located as you could want, right on the main market square where the abundant weekly food markets are held every Friday, Saturday and Tuesday. We finished a Rhine River cruise in Mainz and the Schwann was our home base for three days post. The hotel is an easy walk from the cruise ships. The owners, Klaus and his wife, are charming and very helpful when strategizing a day's activities. The hotel is clean and comfortable, historic and as authentic as it gets. In good weather, request a room that does not face the 'Dom' church as that side hosts a very popular outdoor restaurant. Speaking of restaurants, the owners' children operate one of the best traditional German restaurant/tavern's across the alley way, in a building equally as historic and ancient as the Schwann. Breakfast is substantial. As a base for walking the 'Altstadt' or old city of Mainz (and we did a lot of walking), the Schwann was perfect. This is a quirky place as some other posters have mentioned, but for an authentic German hotel, frequented by Germans themselves, with comfort and superb location, I doubt you will do better for the price.

• Liked — Location, authentic charm.
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank DCDcflyer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 August 2008

I recently stayed in the Schwan for 2 nights, while at a friends wedding and had a very nice time in this traditional German Hotel. The Hotel was very clean and breakfast was excellent, if a bit German (which is what I expected). It is set just off the main market square and so was in an excellent position for exploring this delightful small city.
I am actually writing this review in response to the other reviews of this hotel. My partner and I were going to our friends wedding in Mainz and we booked the hotel as it was one of 2 that some of the guests were booked in to. Two days before we went we checked goggle maps for directions and clicked on the review link. Needless to say we were horrified by what we read and immediately tried to change our booking as both of the other reviews were awful. However we could not change our booking. When we arrived we did not know what to expect but to our surprise the room and en suite bathroom were spotless. It followed on that nobody was smoking and the Gentleman who runs the place, Klaus, was very helpful and friendly. He booked taxis on the last day for us and when we were late for breakfast he still cooked for us. Yes he did require payment in cash but I had been warned by people that a lot of places in Germany only take cash so I was not surprised. Also it is a bit noisy during the day but then it is right beside the market and we just got up and went and had a look. Overall our stay here was not the most amazing experience but we enjoyed it and found nothing to complain about.

• Liked — The traditional feel and its location
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank SimonBrady
Fresno, California
Reviewed 6 June 2008

This place is the worst hotel that I have ever stayed at. If you like "Quaint" which I think means dirty, small & no comfort..then this is the place for you. The owners are constant chain smokers that spend all day in the eating area..smoking, smoking & more smoking. I am a smoker but enough was enough. I decided to go to a real hotel after 2 days (I was booked for almost 2 weeks), We were given nothing in the way of refunds so I kept the room in hopes of finding a homeless person to allow to stay there. I did spend 2 great weeks at The Hyatt Regency.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed March 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Amglo

Travellers are raving about these Mainz hotels

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 31 May 2008

I booked this hotel after searching on the internet for a historic/traditional hotel in Mainz with good location in the altstadt. While it had a good location (across from the Dom and near the Marktplatz), the accommodations were not true to the Hotel Schwan's website representation. The hotel was old with a spiral staircase (which was what I was looking for), however it was not kept up or decorated with much character. There were exposed pipes in our bathroom that were stuffed with paper towels (I have no idea what the pipes were for)--- which was truly fascinating for my toddler. The beds were extremely uncomfortable (and all single beds, so my husband and I slept seperately) as they were only a thin foam pad over the bed frame. The restaurant below was very loud making it difficult to sleep. All in all, we had a very unmemorable experience at the Hotel Schwan. The things we do remember: loud noise from restaurant, uncomfortable sleep, innkeeper who seemed very neurotic, cash only payment (not informed about this until check-out), and a seemingly unfinished bathroom, were all negative. I would definitely recommend staying at a different hotel in Mainz. There are plenty to choose from near the altstadt. I am sure there are others with better ambience and more comfortable/friendly accommodation.

• Liked — The good location
  • Disliked — Lack of comfortability/amenities
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family