“I wish I had stayed longer!”
Review of TOP Hotel Hammer

TOP Hotel Hammer
Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in Mainz
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We stayed at the Hammer hotel just to have a light kip, as we had a very early flight in the morning to take and a busy day in London ahead of us.

We chose the Hammer 'cause we had found a good deal and the hotel's position was very convenient, just in front of the railway station and easily reachable by coach and very near to the old town centre - that I had no time to visit, as much as I would have loved to.

The room they gave us was very comfortable, the bed was huge and the bathroom just wonderful, in fact I was impressed from it to be honest; speaking of which, one of the things that stroke me more was the magnifying glass on the bathroom's mirror, in my understanding it is aimed at making shaving and make-up easier and more accurate, what a bright idea!

We had to leave very early so we could not have the full breakfast that was included in the deal, still the porter was so nice and prepared something just for the two of us.

Unfortunately we had so little time to have even a quick look around the hotel, what a pity!

Well, at the very least I had a delicious pretzel and a glass of excellent German beer in the nearby pub, a few yards away from the hotel.

From what I have seen Mainz must be a lovely place indeed, and if I had the possibility to visit it again - and I hope so - this time around staying for a few days at least, I would definitely stay at Hammer hotel!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 July 2012

First, their elevator is unsafe. It doesn't have the standard safety sensors for while you are still stepping in and closes very quickly. As a result, my 5 year old son was hurt and slammed against a wall and ended up with a very scraped back. The desk staff admitted the elevator closed too quickly and without warning.

Secondly, we were there for a midweek trip. I had the arrival date one day off and arrived a day late. Despite the length of our stay being the same, we were charged 90% of a night's lodging as a PENALTY at the end of our stay. They mentioned nothing about it when we checked in and saved it for our check out, what a lovely way to end our stay there, especially after they witnessed our child being hurt by their unsafe elevator.

Had it been a weekend or peak season and we missed our reservation, I would have understood. However, for a midweek stay with the length being the same, just arriving a day later, I found it quite disappointing. In all of my travel worldwide I've never experienced such poor customer service. Rooms around us were empty as well, so it's not as if they were overbooked.

Would not recommend.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Nada S, Manager at TOP Hotel Hammer, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

We must degree this assessment, our elevator is serviced annually 2 times and complies with German safety regulations. We were unfortunately not well informed about this incident. With respect to the charged cancellation fees, we want to set the facts right. The guests didn’t arrive at the booked date. On our demand, we were told that they had been mistaken in the date and will arrive one day later.
Upon arrival they were advised that we have to charge 90% for the first night, as we were fully booked and the room could be rent several times. We understand that it is very uncomfortable for the guest if he has to pay no-show charges, however, we ask for correction of the non-truthful assessment.

Reviewed 17 July 2012

Everything was excellent, the location could not be better, very nice and clean room and bathroom, great breakfast, staff very friendly. I want to especially thank Ilana (hope I remembered her name correctly). I do not have words to explain how helpful and kind and nice she was.
Highly recommended !

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank jhdita
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Clean, adequately-sized, quiet, recently renovated rooms; great locatiion with well marked directional signs for drivers with parking available and easy walk to old town (don't miss the Chagall windows in St. Stephan 's) ; delicious, bountiful breakfast and helpful, friendly staff. We could not have made a better hotel choice in Mainz!

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Very friendly reception staff with excellent language skills. Clean, recently modernised bedroom which was VERY quiet and air conditioned. Good breakfast but be aware there is no restaurant for dinner here - the reception staff will help you choose a local restaurant though.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Hotel Hammer sports an excellent location just across from the main railroad station--and thanks to brand-new double thermal pane windows (= 4 sheets of glass!) it is absolutely sound proof. (Don't worry--there is AC for the summer when you don't want to open the window). The rooms have recently been totally renovated; more renovations will begin this July on a lower floor. Breakfast was more than adequate (although I missed a slice of lemon for my tea ...).

The entire staff is very helpful, attentive, solicitous--it was good to interact with all of them.

Overall a most enjoyable stay at a very compatible price.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 June 2012

It has all you need for a short stay. Extremely clean, newly refurbished rooms with interesting style, very good breakfast and 2 mins walk from Mainz HBF. Price positioning in line with quality of European 4-star hotel. For those visiting Frankfurt or travelling through FRA, this can be an excellent overnight choice.

• Stayed: June 2012