“Beautiful hotel”

Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Mainz
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

Stayed at this hotel twice. Rooms are very modern. Very comfortable. Staff is courteous and friendly. Food is delicious. Central location. Easy strolls to restaurants, market. Beautiful area just to take long walks and enjoy the architecture as well as a walk along the Rhine.

Room Tip: Rooms on both sides of the street. Some across the street are quite a walk if your not expecting it...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Pamela H
HiltonMainzCity, Manager at Hilton Mainz, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Dear User,
Thank you very much for your stay in our HILTON Mainz and for the great 5 stars review in Tripadvisor.
I am happy to read that you were satisfied with our services. In particular I am very happy about your positive comments regarding our staff. We all aim to make your stay as much comfortable as possible and give you this “amazing” feeling.
The whole team of our HILTON Mainz will be looking forward to host you once again at the Hilton Mainz.

If you have any question in the meantime I will be more than happy to assist you.

Sascha von Zabern

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

The hotel has recently been thoroughly renovated. The modern lobby is rather cold and uninviting but the rooms in the Dom Wing (the only ones I have stayed in) are spacious and comfortable although a bit of a walk. The city side of that portion is quieter. An excellent breakfast buffet in the restaurant overlooking the Rhine River.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on an upper floor overlooking the Rhine.
2 Thank Garnet C
HiltonMainzCity, Manager at Hilton Mainz, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Dear User,
thank you for your stay at the HILTON Mainz and for taking the time to post a comment in TripAdvisor.
I am happy that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet as well as that you were satisfied with the room and our services in general.
I do hope that, should you visit Mainz in the future, we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again at our HILTON.
australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

My previous review of this property was very bad, so I'm happy to say that the hotel is like brand new after a complete renovation. Comfortable rooms with stylish, modern decor. Good value dinner package - 17 euros for one course with a glass of wine overlooking the river Rhine. The curtains completely block out the light, and double glazing works pretty well to stop outside noise and freezing cold in winter. The 'Rhine' wing rooms either overlook the river or the very busy main road, and the 'City' wing rooms either overlook quiet residential buildings or the very busy main road. The new bar is quite upmarket, but not very busy, and there is a new casino. You will need to remortgage the house to pay for phone calls and internet, which are very expensive. There are a few telephone/internet places in town.

Room Tip: The quietest rooms are in the 'City' wing facing the Dom (cathedral) but the rooms with the...
Dear User,
thank you very much for choosing the HILTON Mainz for your stay again and for your comments, which help us to check and improve our services.
I am delighted to see that our renovated hotel met your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We appreciate your feedback a lot and do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the HILTON Mainz.
Hermanus, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

Was quite surprised to walk into a complete new hotel. Nice, friendly, bright settings at reception. OK, not such a friendly welcoming smile but then again, it was almost midnight when I checked in.

Junior suite at a very special rate (EUR 150/night prepaid, without breakfast). Real value for money. Ver spacious. Slept like a baby in that bed. Internet (swisscom, outside company) needs some work, its very expensive (EUR 22/24 hours) and therfore should not give any problems. VERY slow, and cuts off all the time. If you move your laptop to bathroom, it worked 100% but then again, I prefer to work at the desk, enjoying the faboulus views onto the river Rhine.

Breakfast at extra EUR 22,50 - definately not worth it. Lots of warmed up food from day before. Liked the previous breakfast buffet at this hotel more. Service so so ... could have been better. So rather take a walk and have breakfast in the old part of town, there are quite a few very nice bistros.

Staff is mostly friendly and very committed.

1 Thank Capeguy24
Bradenton, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

Need assistance for least expensive transfer from Hahn Airport to Hilton Mainz..Will be arriving 6 PM (JFK airport) on a saturday night (June 16,2012)...First visit to Mainz/Frankfurt area.
Specific directions would be most appreciated (Cost required would be helpful due to the need for Euros) ..Meeting a tour group..Thank you in advance.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
HiltonMainzCity, Manager at Hilton Mainz, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Dear User,
thank you for having chosen the Hilton Mainz for your stay. I am happy to assist you today with your request.
The least expensive option would be to take a bus from Frankfurt Hahn to Mainz Central station (cost about 14 EUR) and than a taxi (the Train Station is quiet near to the hotel, so the taxi would cost about 8-10 EUR).
For further information please use the link on the official Website of Airport Frankfurt Hahn
There are also several car hire companies on the airport.
Alamo / Gebäude 500 /Tel. 0 65 43 / 50 95 56 /Fax 0 65 43 / 50 92 74/
Hertz / Gebäude 110 / 500 / Tel. 0 65 43 / 50 94 83 / Fax 0 65 43 / 50 94 84 /
Europcar / Gebäude 500 / Tel. 0 65 43 / 50 95 56 / Fax 0 65 43 / 50 92 74 /
Haywards Heath
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2011

When I've visited Mainz before i've stayed in this properites sister hotel, the Mainz City Hilton, but on this occasion, the rates were better at this location.

Having arrived at FRA, I took the S-Bahn to Mainz. This takes around 20-25minutes. I usually walk from the Hauptbahnhof to the City Hilton and did the same for this hotel. My walk was longer than planned as I completely lost my bearings in the city. It was not an unpleasant walk, but longer than planned.

I was checked in and upgraded to an executive room with a river view. The Rhine is fascinating, and one could sit and watch the river traffic for hours - and of a morning, with mist rising off the river, the views were spectacular.

The room was modern and spacious - bigger I think the rooms I had enjoyed at the City Hilton. The bathroom was plush, with fluffy towels and new Peter Thomas Roth amenities, including bath gel. The bed was comfortable, although as is common in European hotels, I had to ask for an additional bed sheet as I find I cannot sleep simply with a duvet over me.

As an Hhonors elite member, breakfast was complimentary. The choice was good, although I think the choice at the City Hilton is better. Staff were friendly, although the Maitre D' was quite fierce. The food was hot and tasty, and I like the fact the all the Hilton's I have stayed at in Austria and Germany all have HP Brown Sauce available at breakfast!

Although I was not at the hotel to watch TV, the choice of channels was impressive. Rather than the useless BBC World, the hotel actually offered the full BBC1 service - and as I wanted to keep up with Strictly Come Dancing (the UK original of Dancing With The Stars for our American friends!), I was able to do so.

The hotel is a 5-10 minute walk to the main shopping area. As I was here for teh Christmas Market, this was very convenient and it was easy to get to and form the hotel when a rest or extra layer of clothes were required.

All the staff were friendly, and I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
HiltonMainzCity, Manager at Hilton Mainz, responded to this review, 30 December 2011
Dear User,
thank you for your stay in our HILTON Mainz and for posting a comment in tripadvisor.
I can see that you enjoyed your stay at the Hilton Mainz and I am very happy about this. I am also delighted to read that you were satisfied with your room and location of the hotel on the Rhine River as well as that you enjoyed the Mainzer Christmas Market.
We really do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the HILTON Mainz or Hilton Mainz City.

Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

This hotel is in a great location, nice river view and a close walk to the centre of Mainz. Great when visiting the Christmas Market in Mainz. Also it's an easy walk/short cab ride to the main train station to get many sights, including FRA. Our breakfast was included in the rate, it had lots of options and was very good.

• Stayed November 2011
HiltonMainzCity, Manager at Hilton Mainz, responded to this review, 19 December 2011
Dear User,
Thank you very much for your stay in our HILTON Mainz and for having the time to post a comment in tripadvisor.
I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay at Hilton Mainz. As you mentioned the hotel has a really nice location on the Rhine river and at the same time is very close to the centre of the old city. I am happy that you liked the city and our cultural events as for example Christmas Market, which takes place every year. There are also a lot of others events, as Wine Market in August-September or Johannisfest in June.
We would be more than happy to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the HILTON Mainz so that you can explore our city better.