“Decent place”

Ranked #29 of 41 Hotels in Mainz
Buffalo, NY
“Decent place”
Reviewed 29 April 2010

I arrived in Mainz late in the evening, and the first hotel near the train station that i went into was full, and they told me that because it was a "Messe" (convention) in Frankfurt, everything was full. I then tried the Shottenhof, and not only did they have a room, but the price was okay (about 60 Euro for a single). Room was a typical European budget room, small but clean. Fine as a place to sleep for a night.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank d_kester

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Rio de Janeiro BRASIL
Reviewed 3 March 2009

Its a awesome hotel just because its location. 100 meters from the Grand Central Station, that delivery you into the city airport, and there is connection to almost every cities in Europe. Terrific, great neighborhood, and it is very well located near the big city atractions. The rooms have good confort, and they are big. The problem is that has only one elevator and in sunny seasons becomes overtraffic. The staff is very nice, they love brazilians, and treated us very nice.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
Tulsa,Oklahoma
Reviewed 21 September 2008

The last night of our stay in Germany we still wanted to stay somewhere scenic(not by the Frankfurt airport!). So we took the train to Mainz and looked for a hotel near the train station. We needed to be close as we had to leave around 5am to get to the airport. The first two hotels were full already and the third one I saw was the Schottenhof. It had only one room left and the front desk let me look at it to make sure it was o.k. It seemed good enough as we were spending the day sightseeing and only needed the room to sleep and shower. The staff was friendly,the room was clean and the shower worked. That is all we needed and it fit the bill.

• Liked — close to train station
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trailblazer17
West Bloomfield, MI
Reviewed 5 April 2007

I was there for a week. First, room appeared clean, although they never have changed the bedsheets for the duration of your stay. But the 2nd night I noticed a black-bean shaped object on the wall- it was a crawling insect. After I told the front desk nobody ever said or did anything in the next 3 days. Second I am quite sure the cleaning crew are problematic. I left a brand new shaver in the drawer along with couple CDs. By the time I checked out I could not find them. I told the front desk, and again no results.
Well I guess I made a huge mistake by booking this one.

• Liked — breakfast was OK
  • Disliked — cleaning crew, front desk receptionists
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank howfen

Travellers are raving about these Mainz hotels

istanbul
Reviewed 7 September 2006

I am working in travel agency. That was terrible experience for us to make reservation to this hotel. My passenger stayed at this hotel 3 nights but nobody changed the badclothes. There is no regular hot water and narrow small and non-hygenic rooms. When i speak with reception he was so angry to me . Because i was make reservation for 5 days and my passenger stay just 3 nights and he wants his money back for 2 nights!! But they charged 5 nights to us without any explanation.
I will never offer this hotel. There is alot of hotel in this area they are not alone you have a lot of options i can say don't stay.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank amadeusgalileo
Dublin Ireland
Reviewed 15 February 2006

I could not get any available reasonable hotels in Frankfurt, then I spotted Hotrel Schottenhof. It may not be the biggest hotel in the world, but it is clean, staff very friendly and helpful. The room which we had, on the top floor was very big for a double rooom, with great views. Breakfast was average, but there is a nice and friendly bar. Location could not be better, just a stones throw from the railway station, and 5 minutes to the town centre. I would love to visit again in the summer, when all of the trees are in bloom for a relaxing break. Getting to and from Frankfurt and The Airport is very easy, with brilliant train service. It is nice to be in a smaller town at evening time rather that staying in Frankfurt.

• Stayed February 2006
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 17 October 2005

Schottenhof looked like a nice and pleasant place, judged by the small pictures on the hotel's website. Reality was different, alas. I had the feeling of staying in a cheap rendez-vous hotel in the train station vicinity: the carpet was stained, furniture was old and used and the bathroom was, well, not exactly clean. Worst of all: walls were paper thin - it does not take a hard-hearing neighbour here to be disturbed all night by the sound of the television nextdoors. For the prices charged (somewhere around 70 euro) you should be able to find a better deal on the various hotel deal websites around.

• Stayed October 2005, travelled on business