“Giant wiener schnitzel, good wines, slow service”
Review of Heiliggeist

Heiliggeist
Ranked #23 of 565 Restaurants in Mainz
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

Refurbished church, great location, bit noisy though. Menu had many choices for a german-style pizza and other local food. The wiener schnitzel was huge and delicious. Fine wines as well. Service was quite slow and difficult to get a waiter’s attention.

Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

We were a large group. All got served in a nice way and at the same time. Lots of food! Quite special location! A bit noisy

Reviewed 8 October 2017

Beautiful architecture, fabulous food, great beer! We were on tour and stopped in here for dinner. The Schnitzel was awesome and HUGE.

Reviewed 6 October 2017

Beautiful place. Great location. Apparently some of the foods are quite good. The service was REALLY BAD! We had 6 in our group. The waiter FORGOT to order 3 things from the kitchen, and didn't find out until others in our group were being served. My food was very bland and not exciting - but I would have been happier if I hadn't had to watch others eat theirs and then continue to wait for mine. I'm used to German restaurants taking a lot longer than American equivalents - that's not what I'm judging here. The restaurant was only about 1/6 full, and our waiter rarely came back. I don't know if he was embarrassed over the mess he caused or what, but we were offered no discount on the very late meals or anything. I'm only giving this a rating of two because other people said their food was good.

1  Thank jiifigment
Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

My wife and I were in Mainz twice with a run over to Munich for Oktoberfest in between stays. We found this place before we left Mainz the first time. We were greeted, immediately sat (and they were very busy). They brought us English menus, didn't t rush us and took our order. The food was great and service was on point. I ordered the veal cutlet with fried parsley. Very tasty. My wife had the wild boar sausage and it too was great. It truly was a great experience. Now, we returned the next week after our return from Munich. The place was not busy at all and we were ignored by several employees who walked by us without any acknowledgment of our presence. I had to ask someone for help he told me to wait a moment and walked away. Eventually, what appeared to be a manager in white shirt and ponytail, walks by and points to one side of the restaurant and says take one of the round tables over there. Turns out this was the lounge area. That's fine at least we were sitting now. The server was somewhat friendly but service fell was short of our first visit. The food was good but the service sort of takes away from the experience. So my ranking is an average of both experiences within 4-5 days. Food is good but up in the air on service.

2  Thank William M