“Welcoming and deserve 5 star recommendation” 5 of 5 bubbles

Zur Kanzel
Ranked #86 of 519 Restaurants in Mainz
Cuisines: German, European, Central European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Welcoming and deserve 5 star recommendation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Walking down a charming street after visiting the Dom we spotted this interesting restaurant filled with history and warmth. The staff was very friendly. The beer and Rhine wine was just what the rainy day called for. I had a lovely salmon filet with a herb sauce and my husband had the schnitzel. The cabbage and potatoes are not to be missed. We both throughly enjoyed ourselves and would recommend this pretty jewel. We will return on our next visit and hope to have another wonderful conversation with the owner and competent food server who had spent a year living in Boston as an exchange student. Her English was perfect.

1 Thank Susy L

Edwardsville, Illinois
“My Favorite Restaurant in the World”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

I like absolutely everything about this restaurant. It's a small, quiet, classy place, with great service and unbelievably good food. The curried monk fish and the pfeffersteak are the two best entrees I've ever put in my mouth! Everything I've tried there has been first class--the sauces are phenomenal. And it's moderately priced. I'm an international pilot who's lived all over the world, and I'm a foodie, so I've tried thousands of restaurants. This is unquestionably the best I've visited (again and again).

2 Thank freightdog99
Princeton, NJ
“Zur Kanzel is worthy of a long, relaxed meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

Our first night in Mainz. Nothing had really clicked. Until we walked into Zur Kanzel...

We were on the earlier side of the dining experience in Mainz. The place was warm and welcoming, even picturesque. We found the owner, Guido, a talkative and friendly host, behind the bar. He welcomed us as if we were guests in his home. He recommended a favorite local Riesling wine for us, which was fantastic. Then he asked questions about what we liked to eat, and selected delectable and completely freshly prepared food from his kitchen. From the avocado stuffed with trout to the fresh pork in gorgonzola sauce with sautéed spinach and herbed potatoes, to the apple tart mit ice cream and schlag, my meal was authentic local cuisine, top notch, the service incredibly attentive, and not a bad value at all for the bill.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Jaberwocky
Tulsa
“Very Nice Intimate Mid-Range Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

The service is lovely and the atmosphere intimate. The food (I was there only once) was fresh and faultlessly prepared if not quite distinguished. What I realy liked about Zur Kanzel was that you go there with a friend and have a long conversation in a quiet and unhurried setting. I saw nothing else in Mainz that rivaled this restaurant's superb ambiance.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank guillaume51
Wiesbaden, Germany
“Predictable, uninspiring, expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

This was a tough restaurant to review. The service was friendly and attentive, the decor was tasteful, the food was simple and OK (although the steak my wife ordered was rather tough). It just wasn't what I would call a "dining experience". There was nothing really wrong with this place, except perhaps that you can easily drop 80 Euros for a dinner for two. It was just, well, kind of boring. Let me put it this way: If I was the concierge at the Hyatt Regency and some American guests asked me where would be a good German/Continental restaurant, where the staff spoke English, I could never go wrong recommending this place. In fact, we were surrounded by Americans at all tables, all of whom appeared to be quite happy. It's just that if I am going to spend this amount of money, I want something memorable and special, not necessarily predictable. It just depends on what you are looking for.

• Visited January 2012