“Nice restaurant”
Review of Cumvino - CLOSED

Cumvino
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 2 September 2010

This restaurant is a nice place to spend an evening having tasty food in a friendly environment.

The place is being owned by a Trier monastery (a little strange), but the atmosphere there and food do not resemble a monastery. It has old dark wooden tables and chairs in a corresponding design of the rooms. There is no bright light. The atmosphere there is relaxed and quiet.

Food is very tasty and the prices are pretty much affordable. The main dishes are in the range of 10-20 euro per person. Portions are large as common in Germany. Local wine is tasty and also not expensive (around 5 euro per small jar - around 200-300ml).

All in all, I can easily recommend this place for a dinner in a relaxed and somehow romantic atmosphere.

Reviewed 2 August 2010

It was good restaurant, good food with nice atmosphere. We had shrimp salad and onion soup as starters. It was the best onion soup ever..!! Main courses we had pork with mushroom sauce and grills were OK, but don't expect quantity. The wine was great, the service was very good. For couple that look for total dinner package, I would recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 19 January 2010

My husband and I live nearby Trier. We go to this restaurant often. They have fantastic steaks and fantastic wines! Don't skip the ice cream after dinner...it does not disappoint!

Reviewed 22 September 2009

For our first night in Trier we visited the Cumvino Weinstub for dinner as it had been recommended by our hotel and I had also seen positive reviews on Tripadvisor.

The setting is lovely within a large walled garden which I believe is part of the Bishop of Trier's palace. As the weather was warm, we were able to eat in the garden and enjoyed a lovely meal which fully met our expectations. Service was efficient and friendly and the waiter spoke good English.

We did not have starters but our mains of Pike/Perch and Wiener Schnitzel and chocolate cake were excellent. The warm chocolate cake was especially good which came with chocolate straws, ice cream and fruit compote. Washed down with a couple of local beers and bottle of Weissburgunder from the Saar valley, the total bill was 90E and excellent value. I would heartily recommend.

1  Thank rwlid
Reviewed 2 September 2009

Cumvino was recommended to us by our tour guide during a recent trip to Trier. We were looking for a restaurant that you'd definitely want to dress up for, but wasn't stuffy and pretentious, and this was just the place. The wait staff was excellent and all seemed to speak English; English menus were available. I was there with my in-laws and my husband, and we all enjoyed our food very much. The menu had some excellent variation and creativity in the dishes available. The service was on par with standard German service- that is to say you need to be patient. My husband had the escargot as an appetizer, and the helping was much larger than stated on the menu. My in-laws had an excellent soup, and the staff was very good about making a substitution on my mother-in-law's entree. There was a mix-up with my meal, and it did not come out with the rest of the food. This was noted quickly by the wait staff, and I was assured I would have my meal within 5 minutes. When it arrived, it looked amazing, and several bites in, I realized some clever person on the staff had written "sorry" in balsamic along the edge of my plate. We only ordered one dessert- peppermint ice cream with fresh strawberries, and when it arrived, it looked like something out of a magazine. I highly recommend this restaurant for a nice evening out.

1  Thank pgnpixi