“Cool hotel but not worth the money”

Weinhaus Becker Hotel
Ranked #37 of 49 Hotels in Trier
Frankfurt, Germany
“Cool hotel but not worth the money”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at the hotel Becker's in Trier as I received a smartbox voucher for it. Unfortunately the room bookable with the voucher was not available so I had to book a higher category and top-up a rather high amount of money (that probably in Trier would have allowed booking a hotel room somewhere else). The hotel is very modern and cool, our room (junior suit) was very large with nice design and two glass walls to the outside (and one to the bathroom). Very much appreciated also the attentive staff and the complimentary small bottle of local wine. Still, there were some details not up to the standars expected: few towels and very old, too small tv to see from bed, double bed composed of two unconfortable matresses with hole in between. Toiletries were not new: the body lotion was empty, I wanted to call to get a new one but did not manage becasue nowhere the number to call the reception is indicated (the usual numbers did not work). Ah, and the bathroom flooded after the shower.
Overall the experience was ok because I got it partly as gift, but if I had to pay the full price I would not be so happy, considering also that the hotel is located outside of town.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tittiilcanarino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We stayed two nights in this hotel. Please note the difference in rooms: there is a (cheaper) traditional style part and a (more expensive) part of the hotel, we stayed in the latter. We had a package with dinner in the (2 star Michelin) restaurant of the hotel on one night and a dinner in weinstube on the other night: a fair price for the package. The hotelroom was okay, but nothing special: one would expect a bit more in a hotel that lodges an 2 star restaurant. No bath (not even in all suites), worn down and just a few towels, no refill of aminities are just a few examples. The breakfast is served in the old part and is okay, but again nothing special. The hotel is located 10 minutes by car from Trier-centre in a rather dull street but the wineyard are just around the corner. The dinner in the Weinstube was fine: larges portions, nothing fancy, just good food. The dinner in the 2 star Michelin-restaurant was dissapointing, not even or maybe just worth1 star in my opinion. Overall we had a good time and money isn't the issue, but it lacks a bit of athmosphere/sense for detail/feel of luxery. I wouldn't have come for just the hotel but if the combination with the restaurant is dissapointing, the overall conclusion is that I will not return.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank BarbaraXX
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We booked the "Feinschmecker-arrangement' : 2 nights with breakfast, 1 dinner in the Weinhaus en 1 dinner in the 2-star Michelinrestaurant. We had a perfect weekend: beautiful design room with a free bottle of sekt in the fridge, breakfast outside on the terrace, a very good 4-course dinner in the Weinhaus and a fabulous 5 - or more - course dinner in the starrated restaurant. Beautiful environment, close to the city center of Trier, nice to walk, bike, buy wine and so on.......We'll be back

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wim1953
county durham
Reviewed 10 February 2011

My husband and I (with our youngest child in tow) stayed at Beckers Hotel for just one night. We chose it principally for the restaurant, seeing that it had been awarded 2 michelin stars. We were delighted when we were shown to our room, Beckers Best Suite, which was absolutely stunning. Ultra-modern with a fantastic bathroom, it was extremely quiet and comfortable. There was even a complimentary bottle of Reisling from their own vineyard waiting in the minibar (although we only discovered that it was a gift when we tried to pay for it in the morning.) Dinner was incredible. We knew that it wasn't ideal to take a young child into such a highly accreddited restaurant but at no stage were we made to feel uncomfortable and in fact the staff managed to stay professional and agreeable whilst serving our eight courses and intermittently picking crayons up off the floor. We have eaten in other starred restaurants but this one stood out as being particularly creative and delicious. Contrary to what a previous reviewer has said, we found Mrs Becker to be charming. I think it is sometimes easy to mistake professionalism with snootiness, particularly when there is a language barrier. We would certainly recommend this hotel to any couple or group of adults. Although they welcomed our young son with open arms, I would not say that is was necessarily a "family" hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank katieren
Coolum Beach, Australia
Reviewed 7 September 2010

First impression, alright! This is a good find, beautifully renovated facade. The entrance was modern and very inviting. The room (in the older part of the hotel) was disappointing, a far cry from the entrance, the furniture appeared not be for this room but just quickly chosen to get the room ready. There was not a bar of soap available but one small bottle of shampoo. The shower had a bath gel dispenser on the wall but no possible way to get anything out of it and I pride myself as being quite mechanical. In my opinion the room was overpriced for what was offered.

The restaurant had delicious food albeit a bit expensive. The service was a bit on the slow side and we found ourselves having to wait repeatedly for our glasses to be refilled.

The issue I had with with Becker's was Mrs. Becker herself, she was unfriendly and stuck up. Mrs. Becker appeared pretentious and gave us the feeling that we were not good enough for her hotel. We came in contact with her in her restaurant and at check out, on both occasions the four of us felt unwelcome and barely tolerated.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank flagstick4
Leeds
Reviewed 17 September 2007

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times now, always for the German ADAC Rally and I have to say every time has been very good and it doesn't deserve the comments made previously! Yes the hotel is out of town, but for the price what do you expect! The hotel is clean and the family staff are very friendly and speak good English. We only ate breakfast which was good, and the restaurant looks very good and is popular with the locals. Trier is only 5 minutes in a taxi €7-10 max each way. I would recommend this hotel if you are just looking for somewhere cheap and cheerful and are not bothered about being right in the centre of town, if you are then pay more! There is a nice hotel down the road which has a nice big garden bar area if you fancy that, but overall this is a good clean basic hotel.

• Stayed August 2005, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
London
Reviewed 6 June 2007

In late May 2007, my wife and our 12 year old spent a night at Becker's. This was part of a wine trip through Germany. I had made the booking before coming across this site and some of the critical reviews and was fairly apprehensive. I am pleased to say our experience was just fine.

The LOCATION:
It is a bit away from central Trier so make sure you print out a map before trying to find it by car. On the upside, it is well connected by bus, surrounded by vineyards (the point of our trip), quiet and easy parking. Within walking distance you will find the well-known Deutschherrenhof vineyard (referred to by a previous reviewer - get the owner himself to demonstrates his wines to you and pick up some good bargains), other vintners and a micro-brewery.

The HOTEL:
The hotel consists of two parts: a faux traditional "old Germany" style hotel (probably from the 1980s) and a brand new über-modern annex. We stayed in the old part - not to my taste aesthetically but reasonably priced, clean and generously sized. We asked to look at the rooms in the modern annex and they are very smart and would not be out of place in a design hotel in London or Mexico City or anywhere. I understand prices will be about double those for rooms in the old annex. If you'd rather spend your money on wine, or have children in tow, choose rooms in the old part.

The SERVICE:
We had no complaints. Staff were impeccably turned out but friendly rather than haughty, as well as competent.

The WINES:
I had never heard of them before as a winery. I tasted their 2005 Chardonnay and 2005 Riesling trocken (note the strange nose caused by a brief spell in a barrel) at the bar and thought they were fine. I bought the 2005 Grauburgunder (Pinot Gris) and had it back home and was blown away - a fantastic wine, even at the proud price of €15 a bottle. Where Deutschherrenhof is very traditional German approach with an emphasis on off-dry wines, Becker's is trying to establish a more modern, fully dry style, with big pinot grape wines - I'm rather impressed.

The RESTAURANT:
We did not try it. The chef is the owner. I had a nice chat with him when we left, he is quite laid back.

SUMMARY:
I suspect previous commentators suffered from teething problems. Based on the treatment we received, I would say they realise they need to improve their act. -- As a German, I am tired of the lazy chintz that characterises so many German hotels and restaurants in smaller cities and rural areas. I think these people are seriously trying to break the mould with both their hotel and their wines and I hope they be rewarded for their guts. Clearly, they need to demonstrate good, effective service to succeed (and to deserve to succeed) but judging from our experience, they have taken on board previous criticism.

• Liked — The amazing contrast between the chintz old part and the ultra-modern new part.
  • Disliked — Poor television reception.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk