“Utterly pretentious and not worth a visit”

Weinhaus Becker Hotel
Ranked #36 of 49 Hotels in Trier
West Country
“Utterly pretentious and not worth a visit”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2007

My boyfriend and I went to Trier to visit the nearby Weingut Deutschherrenhof for their new season wine tasting and decided to stay at the Weinhaus Becker for the convenience of being able to stagger back to it. Arriving at the hotel early afternoon we were surprised to find the doors to the hotel locked. We managed to track down a member of staff in the old restaurant who showed us into the stark lobby and then left us to find a colleague that could attend to us. Eventually we were told that our room was not ready and that hotel was not open until 1500! We left our bags with the lady and said that we would nip into town for some lunch and would be back after 1500. We returned to the hotel after 1600 and were shown to our room. Only it wasn’t our room and it was clearly inhabited by someone else! Again, we were told that our room was not ready. This wasn’t too much of a problem as we had an appointment with some nice wine across the road, so said that we would be back around 1900 as we had a table booked in the restaurant at 1930. We were promised that the room would be ready and that our luggage would be there for our return. Having received genuine hospitality at the winery, we went back to the hotel and were finally shown to our room – only our luggage was missing! Three members of staff and five coat-hangers later, our luggage was brought to our room.
The ‘suite’ was clean enough, but had clearly not been thought about. The double bed was in fact two single mattresses, so there was the inevitable falling-in-the-gap. The pillows are unbelievably hard large square pillows that are not remotely comfortable to sleep on. The full-length central window between the room and the bathroom does not have a blind, so it was very public to the neighbouring houses (perhaps they should have robes in the bathroom) and meant that the sunlight woke us up at 0530. Although not normally ones for watching TV when away, we couldn’t have sat in bed and watched CNN as the large desk in the middle of the room blocked the view.
My boyfriend thought that he would treat us to dinner in the new restaurant, which we had been told was Michelin starred (I don’t think it is). The décor is rather depressing with grey breeze-block walls and grey tablecloths. Only once we had sat down did we discover that the ‘choice’ was a tasting menu of either 5 (75 Euros) or 8 courses (95 Euros). The food is utterly pretentious and very average and the wine list was extensive but expensive. It was all most disappointing considering the price and we would have had a much better meal eating steak and salad with the tasters in the winery across the road.
The only saving grace was the buffet spread at breakfast, although it depended on when they got around to replenishing the dishes. Needless to say, our good mood was ruined when it then took an utter age to check-out!
I’m sure that there are much better places to stay in the local area and there are some very good restaurants in the town, so save your sanity and stay elsewhere!

• Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank wadpol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Fayetteville, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2005

My husband and I traveled to Trier and stayed at Weinhaus Becker for two nights because it was recommended by a reputable travel guide. The hotel is out of the way, which would be fine if it was in a quiet secluded location, however that's not the case. The street isn't a main thoroughfare but seems to have a lot of noisy cars running up and down. Also, the main street is 1 1/2 blocks away and traffic noise is very noticeable. We booked well in advance but were given a streetside room, instead of one facing the back of the property. The room was also located above the restaurant, which was noisy, even with the windows closed. Our options were to outwait the patrons seated on the patio to go to sleep (and the heavy traffic on the main street), or close our window - try to sleep and sweat profusely. The hotel has no lobby or common areas so basically you get a room up a side staircase and no service whatsoever. The owner was exceedingly unhelpful and directed us to a few fliers on the wall. We had never been to Trier, so were hoping for some kind advice. You won't get any of that at this hotel. The bus stop to get to town is 1/2 mile away and easy to figure out if you know even a little German. We love to walk so that wasn't a problem. The restaurant touted as wonderful and gourmet is exceedingly overpriced (dinner prices are 49, 59, 69 or 79 euro for 4-course, 5-course, 6-course or 7-course meals respectively). Although the service was very good and the presentation of food was nice, we found the food to be average. If you love seafood, you might want to dine there since that is the bulk of the menu (we don't much care for seafood). Breakfast was good with a nice selection of food. As far as a place to stay, there are many less expensive places closer to town. Save your money and book into one of those - you'll be glad you did.

• Stayed September 2005
7 Thank MissTG1

Travellers are raving about these Trier hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2003

I had a difficult time finding a hotel in Trier for the night I needed to stay there, but was able to get a very affordable room (80 euro) at the Weunhaus Becker, a very nice hotel/restaurant near some vineyards on the outskirts of Trier. Upon arrival, there was a huge festival in Trier, which explained the difficulty in finding a room that night. The festival was a pleasant surprise as well as a great way to spend my first evening in Germany. I had to take a cab to get to the Weinhaus Becker, so it's not very convenient. But the hotel itself is very nice, large clean rooms in German style and was even given a bottle of wine from their vineyard. And the breakfast buffet was the best on my trip. However, those who worked there (perhaps even the owners) were not very friendly or even welcoming. I felt like I was more of a nuisance being there to them than a valued guest. Upon arrival, it took them a while to show us to our room because they were busy handing out glasses of wine to their restaurant patrons. And the only thing they said to me was "breakfast is at 8 and our restaurant is full tonight." When I said that's fine we have already eaten, she looked at me like I had insulted her. Then I had a friend who was trying to call my room, and since I was on the other line trying to call her, they told her that I was away and would be back in an hour - which was completely untrue. They just didn't want to answer their phone because they were very busy with the restaurant. And my friend said they were really peeved at her that she was trying to get connected to my room. However, the man who served breakfast the following morning did apologize for the phone confusion, and was very pleasant. So to summarize, the hotel is very nice, a bit out of the way, very affordable, and the owners are not particularly friendly.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member