Elmhurst Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Earley
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Please do not read into these negative reviews!!!! This is a gem of a hotel, the staff are friendly and always willing to help! The breakfast is lovely and really good value considering it is included in the cost of the room. Yes the hotel could do with a little refurb but you really do get what you pay for. I personally found my room to be clean, noise wasn't an issue and shower worked perfectly.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 October 2012

This was my first hotel booking in the Reading area, as a plus it's in Reading and I can be on site at work in 10 minutes. On the down side at £46 per night for en-suite double its competing against Travelodge at £31 for an en-suite family room. Granted they do include breakfast (which I never risked), and WiFi, but the rooms are so dated, the bathrooms tired, it's like visiting an elderly relatives house ( a poor one), Travelodge have good solid stuff, spacious uncluttered rooms, modern bathrooms. I didn't get any joy from my stay at Elmhurst, in fact it's dreary and depressing atmosphere just lead me to an early night. I know people will say £46 is cheap for Reading but if you look around and are willing to drive outside of Reading you will find much nicer for cheaper prices, this place I would pay £25 maximum.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank iOSForever
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Room was worn, especially the bathroom was rather icky. But compared to some of the other options in this price range - B&Bs that is - it wasn't all bad. My room was fairly quiet. I didn't hear noises from my neighbours but some from the hallway. Staff at breakfast seemed grumpy, otherwise the service was okay.

Nice, fairly quiet location. Close to the university area and access to Reading town with no. 17 bus.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LepusDementis
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Stayed at this hotel last night, on arrival it felt like I was checking into a DSS hostal/B&B, the grumpy guy on "check it" didn't say two words, like "Hello or Welcome!"

I was given room 9 on the 3rd floor, carpet was dirty and the room looked tired and dated, the bath room (No bath) had a dirty and mouldy shower, sink and toilet.

Bed had clean sheets but I've never seen such a flat pillow ! I took the pillow off the second bed but that only made it about 50mm high !

I was woken during the night by a screaming baby, the crying seemed to last for ever, the wall are paper thin so be warned !

Morning shower was warm but was like showering under a leaking gutter

Breakfast was select option A,B,C,D,E,F or G from the menu and it appeared 5 minutes later, the bacon was terrible and I'm sure the sausage didn't have any meat in it

At the end of the day you get what you pay for but I would seriously consider sleeping in the car before staying there again!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank LivingTheDreamGBR
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Rooms were small and you could hear the people in the next room going to the toilet. The bathroom had a white bath and yellow toilet and sink and mould around the bath. Breakfast must have been pre cooked 3 days before we got there as it tasted like cardboard and served by the most messerable person on earth. The owner is also a messerable man. I know people say you get what you pay for but this place is worse than a hotel !!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cheeky_monkey36
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We stayed in this hotel last night - however there had been a mix up in the booking which meant we got charged twice for a one night stay and they weren't expecting us last night!
£120 for one night is a ridiculous price for this hotel.....
We had room 43 and the bath buckled when I stepped in it for a shower........not a good sign.

Agree that this hotel needs a total refurb.......

Would absolutely not stay there again, nor recommend the hotel to anyone else.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anna P
Reviewed 29 August 2012

i stayed here for two nights, on arrival the room was small (for a double) there were stains on the bed sheets, and the bathroom was dirty. We later found the toilet seat was broken and the shower only had two settings (really cold, or really hot). Not only was the room disappointing, but the breakfast was poor too, on the Saturday they didn't even bother to ask what we wanted on our cook breakfast. As well as this, we found it very odd that we were made to pay up front before we'd even seen the room.
I'd of rather stayed in a tent.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Megan S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Earley
Travelodge Winnersh Triangle
Hilton St Anne's Manor, Bracknell
Hillingdon Prince Hotel
Hillingdon Prince Hotel
#15 of 31 in Reading

Been to Elmhurst Hotel? Share your experiences!