“Good rooms”

Mercure Hotel Saarbruecken Sud
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Saarbrucken
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I stayed in this hotel for one night and didn't visit the city so I can say nothing about the location.
The rooms were clean. I had some problems with turning on the shower and I didn't like the bath. I think it is useless in hotels to have a bath instead of shower. It is uncomfortable.
Breakfast was good, though the variety of products is not very large.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nastya_dr

Reviewed 19 October 2011

We stayed one night on our way to Austria & Northern Italy and stayed a further night on our return journey to the UK. Very large bedroom and bathroom well furnished and comfortable.Breakfast was buffet style with an excellent selection of hot and cold food.The evening meals also were good and the charming barman served a well chilled wine in an ice bucket at the table, excellent service.All the staff were pleasant and helpful, a happy environment.Although our stay was a single night on each occasion we will consider staying longer next time! We cannot find any faults with the accommodation or staff and thank them for a pleasant stop over.

Room Tip: We understand from other guests that all rooms are good.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hackford
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I've stayed a few times here. Nothing new to mention. The hotel is clean, the beds are good and personnel is friendly.
There's just one point I'd like to make : overpriced breakfast.
It's not just this hotel, €14 per person seems to be standard price for breakfast at Mercure or Ibis.
At this hotel, breakfast is just wonderful. Nice big buffet.
My problem is that is there is no alternative. I don't care for big breakfasts. I don't want cucumber and tomatoes at 8am. Just a cup of coffee and toast will do, but that seems to be impossible. It's the €14 per person breakfast or nothing.
Also, if they'd organise breakfast differently at ACCOR, there would be less waste (the "mountain" of bacon and eggs I saw getting cold and was getting ready for the bin was a disgrace) and I bet they'd be able to offer breakfast at a cheaper price.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2011

One of the best "Value for Money" hotels I have stayed at. Very nice rooms, very clean and god service. With the location you need a car, but still only 3 KM to central Saarbrücken. Only negative thing is to expensive Breakfast.

Conclusion - Fantastic Value for Money

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 June 2011

This was a stopover night for us on our travels. First impressions were that the hotel has not moved on since the 1970s as the colour scheme was various shades of brown although the fixtures and fittings were in good condition and the room was very large. Unless you are a fan of the golden arches, it is worthwhile eating in the restaurant. Not an extensive menu, but good food and good value. Breakfast gave us a large selection of good quality items and we left much happier than our first impressions suggested we would. The hotel itself is built on the site of a WW2 Gestapo camp and the memorial at the back of the car park is thought provoking. Although this is currently marketed as a Mercure hotel with all their branding and logos, we were told when checking in that they are leaving the group, so check first if you are in their loyalty scheme. They also charge for internet access.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank abcoldgit
Reviewed 21 May 2011

I recently spent 2 nights at this hotel, on the way to and from the Czech Republic. Each time I had just driven 8+ hours and the hotel location just off the main highway was a treat. Prompt check-in and room service was just what a weary driver needed. Be aware, though that this is not downtown. But as a stop-over this is great and I will certainly be back.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 May 2011

This was an OK Hotel until I went pay the bill as I left on the 14th April. I had booked a room via Hotel.com which inc Breakfast for two people because we pre paid and paid early. This location would not honour the arrangement and made me pay for two breakfasts. Don't stay here and not a good start to a hoilday in Europe. I have no fear in putting my name to this which is David Fairey in Melbourne. I have the proof but this Hotel made me pay for the breakfast for two

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple