Motel One Dresden-Palaisplatz
US$128
US$109
Melia.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsneustadt stationbody wash shampooold townthe riverwater pressurean easy walkrecommend this hotelnight staycity centrecomfortable bedlobbytvhangerselbeluggagemirrordevice
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Decided again to stay at one of the Motel one properties in Germany.

Dresden itself beautiful and exciting to be at.

The hotel rooms s usually all nice and set. Breakfast as well nice and enough for small simple breakfast and awesome hot beverage selection as usually.

The only real concern we faced was again the bar staff which was only one staff again which made the beverage and did the serving part, this caused delay on placing our order and getting served.
This we have already experienced in few other Motel ones properties and we fell that this
is something which should be look at it.

Otherwise everything was nice and the staff were friendly, smiling willing to help out.

Cheers,

D&J

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Doreen Z, Front Office Manager at Motel One Dresden-Palaisplatz, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Dear Sven, thank you for staying in our Motel One Dresden-Palaisplatz and your time to gave us a feedback. We hope to see you again. kind regards, your Motel One Dresden-Palaisplatz Team

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I had never been at this Motel One before, but it completely met my expectations having stayed at others - clean, modern, convenient location between Neustadt train station and the city center and exceptionally friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear guest, thank you for your kind feedback. We appreciate it very much. Hope to see you again. kind regards, your team from Motel One Dresden-Palaisplatz

Reviewed 25 April 2014

There are two Motel One hotels in Dresden; this one, the Motel One Dresden-Palaisplatz, is easy walking distance from the Neustadt train station. (The other one is in the old town.) When I stayed at the hotel in April 2014, the Neustadt station was under construction, and I got confused when exiting the station about the direction to take on the road to the hotel. For some reason I exited the station from the back (could not see how to get to the front) and this got me turned around. From the front of the station, if you can find it, just cross the street and take Hainstrasse straight ahead but bearing to your right (not the one with the trams). Street signs in this part of town are not always marked so prominently, at least to weary tourists looking for their hotels. The Motel One is just down Hainstrasse - follow "Hotel Route B" a few blocks on your right - you'll soon see signs for the Motel One.

Motel One is in a big, plain, modern building, looking almost more like a small office building than a hotel. Inside hotel looks a lot more expensive than it is, with a distinctive blue styling that makes it look unique, almost post-modern. It's really just a budget hotel, but they've done a fantastic job sprucing it up and making it feel nice. You pay upon check-in for your entire stay; you don't really "check out." I had booked three nights but needed to leave Dresden a day early, so I was able to get a full refund for the final night because I left before noon that final day. (And I was able to leave luggage for a few hours before my train out that afternoon.) Everyone at the front desk I talked to spoke English well and was very friendly. I did not eat or drink at the hotel.

My room was a few floors up, facing a quiet court yard. The room really wasn't huge and neither was the bathroom, but it was perfectly adequate (my stay was in the middle of a vacation in Germany, and this room was far from the smallest of the trip). The room felt clean and updated. The bathroom had great hot water and water pressure. Free WiFi worked well. Bed was OK.

You do have to insert your key card into a slot by the door to get the lights to come on. I have stayed in other hotels like this that use this as a power-saving measure: power is off while you are out of the room. In this case, fortunately, the power outlets stay active even when you remove the card to leave the room, so I could charge my laptop and camera batteries while I was out.

The location of the hotel is not too far from other things but not itself very interesting. My first reaction - after the short-but-dull walk from the train station - was "good grief, there's NOTHING around here!" There are restaurants and stores not too far away but they aren't obvious. If you want to visit the old town of Dresden and all the museums, you can either walk about 10-15 minutes across the Augustus Bridge or take a tram from right in front of the hotel. If you walk toward the Augustus Bridge from the hotel toward the old town, you make a right at gold statue of Emperor Augustus to cross the bridge and get to the old town; making a left instead takes you down a wide pedestrian boulevard called Hauptstrasse that looks like a communist showpiece street, with low-profile storefronts. Take a walk up nearby Konigstrasse to find more restaurants (inside courtyards, too, you'll find public businesses that you might at first assume are private entrances). If you walk all the way to the end of Konigstrasse, you'll get toward the "outer Neustadt" where the night life really is - figure a good 15-20 minute walk from the hotel to this "hip" part of Dresden. There are trams to get you around as well, that might get you part of the way there, but mostly I just walked.

I enjoyed my stay at the Motel One, but it would have been nice to stay in an area where cafes and stores were right around the hotel (as was the case for me at other hotels on my trip to Germany). If you care more about the museums than night life, you might be better off staying in the old town instead, even if it's a bit more touristy and more expensive.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Andrew, thank you very much for your kind feeback. We appreciate it very much. Hope to see you again some day. kind regards, Motel One Dresden-Palaisplatz

Reviewed 23 March 2014

As I live in Germany I have stayed at quite a few of Motel One's properties throughout the country. They are fabulous and this was no exception. Staff were helpful, however, we did have an issue with a VAT form that went unattended to which is why I gave it 4 stars. They did try though, and went above and beyond to assist, however, we were on a time crunch and had to go before it could be rectified. Other than that though the hotel is great, very clean, great wifi throughout the building, and a decent breakfast. The location is wonderful for visiting the city's sites, public transportation and tons of restaurants are nearby. I definitely recommend if in the area!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Doreen Z, Front Office Manager at Motel One Dresden-Palaisplatz, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Doreen Zorn
Front Office Supervisor

Reviewed 15 March 2014

considering this is a budget hotel, it's fantastic! while small, rooms are modern, clean and functional, with quality bed & bedding and free wifi. the lobby is large & inviting, with breakfast served in the morning and coffee & drinks in the afternoon & evenings. the hotel's location is very good, right next to the alternative/hip neighbourhood "neustadt" and just accross the river from the historic city center of dresden.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple