“Excellent choice in Dresden”

Hotel Taschenbergpalais Kempinski
Ranked #7 of 118 Hotels in Dresden
Reviewed 20 July 2009

Great hotel. The location is minutes walk from all of the most important sights. Restaurant is good as is breakfast choices. Room is large decorated with a lovely royal theme. Staff was friendly. Beautifully renovated building both inside and out. Kept its old world charm. TV is old and channel options could be better.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Moonray1

Reviewed 2 May 2009

Perfect in every sense. The breakfast room (but is actually a king buffet rather than a breakfast) worth the trip. A good choice for going to Semper Oper. In front of main entrance there is the "Grüne Gewölbe" (jewelery museum). I suggest to visit Dresden (and the Taschenbergpalais) during Christmas Holidays.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled on business
2  Thank Venti_caratteruzzi
Reviewed 10 January 2009

We spent a weekend at the Taschenbergpalais. The hotel is magnificent and we have never experienced such incredible service before. Overall I would say this is probably the best hotel we have ever stayed in on holiday and I am quite fussy!
From our window we had a great view of the Opera and the Zwinger, it felt like staying in an old castle. The restaurants are very nice and definitely reasonably priced. We stayed in a superior room so had extra space and we loved the high ceilings.
It was a superb stay. Can recommend to anyone!!!

• Stayed: October 2008
3  Thank roomwithaview66
Reviewed 21 November 2008

Simply put, this is a marvelous hotel. The service is unfailingly friendly and superb, the building is beautiful, historic, and located within a five minute walk of all of Dresden's sights of tourist interest (and directly across the street from the Zwinger Palace). I stayed in a deluxe room, which had double-high ceilings, moldings, six super tall windows facing in two directions, tasteful furnishings, and a large bathroom. Simply put, this palace is fit for a king! Dresden itself is very underrated, charming, and chock-full of gorgeous architecture. The people are some of the friendliest I've encountered in Germany (with the exception, that is, of those who work in the Zwinger museums. They, I'm afraid, make the largely undeserved German reputation for brusqueness and an obsession with rules, seem deserved). Regarding hotel dining...I did not eat in the hotel restaurants, which are over-priced in the way you might expect for a hotel like this. My suggestion is, for some hearty German (Bavarian and Saxon) cuisine, head down to Paulaner's, which is located inside the hotel building, but appears to be managed seperately and accessed only from outside. It features delicious food and a friendly staff, and couldn't be more convenient for hotel guests.
The few bad things about this hotel: outdated TV's in the room, early morning housekeeping noise from above, underwhelming room service breakfast, and--take note--young panhandlers surround this hotel and have a knack for unfailingly zooming-in on hotel guests as soon as they are out of eyesight of the doorman.
Still, a couple of nights at Dresden's finest hotel is a wonderful experience and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank mrglobal
Reviewed 27 August 2008

I gave this stay in Kempinski to my husband to 15th anniversary from wedding as the present. And it was very good choice !!!
We booked this hotel thru HRS, superior room.
The stuff was very helpful and nice. Hotel overall is splendid, in the city centre. Rooms are amazing, you feel like king. I want recomend this hotel to everybody, specially to people, who want spend romantic days in Dresden. Also we have dinner in Bistrot, which was very good too. We come back to this hotel, definitely!!!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank HanaPrague
Reviewed 14 June 2008

Location - Excellent. It's steps from every major tourist site in dresden. The zwinger and residence are right at your doorstep and the rest of historic dresden isn't more than a block or two away.

Rooms - Excellent. We booked one suite and one non-suite and they were both nice and VERY spacious. the non-suite had absurdly high ceilings, probably 14-15 feet and tons of room in the bedroom and bathroom, not to mention tons of storage room. The suite was equally spacious with a large dining room for 4.

The food was great as well. They has an outstanding french bistro restaurant and a paulaner (which i believe is a chain restaurant in germany).

A few slip ups by the staff were our only problem. Upon arrival at about 1:30 pm we were told that our rooms were ready so we headed up to the non-suite first. This room was ready to go but after that we headed up to the suite and found a house-keeper in our room. At this point I was a little annoyed that they couldn't communicate between their own cleaning staff whether the room was ready. The staff member we were with said they had another room in the same room category that was ready. I was hesitant and figured she would probably take us to a room in a lower category and sure enough..... she did. She takes us down a floor and opens the door to a room that not only looks NOTHING like a suite, but REEKS of cigarette smoke. I specifically tell her that we not only requested non-smoking, but paid for a SUITE. I tell her to just call me when our original room is actually ready. The whole situation annoyed me that they would take me to a room obviously not equal to the one I paid for and, I guess, expect that I'm too stupid to notice the difference.

Our other staff problem was at the french bistro. While the food was fantastic the waiters were pretty awful. There were only 2 people serving about 10-12 tables. One was a guy who was great but it appeared that the other was a young woman that he was training, she was clueless. So it was basically one person serving 12 tables. Not only was the service deathly slow but they mixed up our food, forcing us to play musical chairs with our entrees.

I know this has been long winded but other than these two problems, we had a great stay. The hotel is beautiful and the rooms are great. Just hope you have better luck with the service than us.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank buccsmf1
Reviewed 22 March 2008

This was a rather more expensive hotel than I'd usually opt for but I was impressed with the place and ended up very pleased that I chose it.

It felt like the smartest and most expensive place in town (not sure if that's literally true but it gives off that aura) and my fellow guests mostly dressed accordingly. It is to their, and the hotel's, credit that I never felt uncomfortable or out of place. [My observation has been that this is the mark of good hotels everywhere, and I write as someone who has tested the theory quite thoroughly.]

My room was spacious and very nicely furnished. There was a turn down service each evening. Breakfast was a mix of buffet and waitress service and I can't imagine that anyone would be disappointed by it.

Though it sounds (and indeed probably is) rather unadventurous, I ate in the hotel both evenings: once in the bistro and once in the 'pub'. Again, I was very happy both times: excellent food, well served at what - by UK standards - was something of a bargain price. The pub in particular seemed to be popular with locals so, even if you're not staying at the hotel, it's worth considering for a meal.

If you're interested in cars or engineering or manufacturing or architecture, go and see the VW Phaeton factory which is about a one mile walk from the city centre. [The hotel, incidentally, is about as close to the city centre as you could wish.] There is a tour, which you're recommended to pre-book. I suspect that tech doesn't get much higher than this. If nothing else, you'll get to learn how Phaeton is meant to be pronounced.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled solo