“good business hotel, depending on required location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Macrander Hotel Dresden

Ranked #50 of 118 Hotels in Dresden
Gencay, France
“good business hotel, depending on required location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

If you don't need a hotel in the centre of the city with all the associated "glamour" and cost, the Best Western is quite adequate. It's run as a business along with the Holiday Inn next door, so BW guests get to use the HI facilities (restaurant, Gym, sauna, bar etc) at no additional cost and anything can be cross charged to your room from there. Which is probably just as well really, as the BW has no restaurant and the bar can normally be described as "empty and devoid of soul".
Nothing wrong with the breakfast in the BW, although it's slightly limited in choice compared to the HI. Although you're not likely be troubled by hoards of foreign bus tourists who invade for a night or two and clog up the facilities. NH and and Park Plaza, this means you.... The staff and normally very helpful. On-site parking is limited, although the parking garage can only be entered once you've checked in - you need your keycard to open it.
The rooms are ok, nothing special - a little spartan but quite acceptable for a few nights. If the room is unused for longer periods they turn the heating off, but the radiators soon warm it up. The desk has enough power sockets for working away from the office, and tea/coffee facilities are provided. More than 1 sachet of coffee per day would be nice in a double room, though. The rooms have recently had minor make-over with faux wooden floors; i preferred it when the rooms were carpeted. The room is always clean, as is the bathroom. Although why there is a shaving/make-up mirror above the toilet, i have no idea.
The low corporate rate means that i'll probably be back again soon. But i'd prefer to stay in the HI if i had a choice.

Room Tip: Lower numbered rooms on the top floor (rooms 801-81x) have a view to the historical city centre abou...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Linda G, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Macrander Hotel Dresden, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear MalR372,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at +49 351 8151 500.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

I ended up here because Dresden is fully booked.

The definition for 4* is among other criteria's: has room service (not 24/7) and one restaurant.
This place has no restaurant and no room service.

The hotel might argue I am wrong, but "their" restaurant is in the Holiday Inn next door (and is the restaurant of that Holiday Inn), you have to leave the house, you have to leave the plot.

That the staff of that restaurant are completely of industrial comedians is another story.

Marking this hotel as I did is only because of the mis-labeling and (as a result) mis-selling.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank VanillaDream
Linda G, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Macrander Hotel Dresden, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Dear VanillaDream

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologise for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at +49 351 8151 500.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

Stayed here for two nights but found it a bit odd that there was no restaurant in hotel had to go to joint hotel of Holiday Inn and on Sunday night there was a very restricted menu that you had to have in the bar. Had dinner in restaurant on Monday night quite expensive. There was nowhere else locally that we could find to eat. Swimming pool also in Holiday Inn this was very cold.

Room Tip: This hotel was quite noisy as there was a busy road outside with bus stop, so maybe a room on the in...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Linda G, Leiter Front Office at BEST WESTERN Macrander Hotel Dresden, responded to this review, 11 May 2013
Dear Saz500

Thank you very much for evaluating us on tripadvisor.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at +49 351 8151 0.

Haifa, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

I have been staying 3 nights in Best Western during the business drip to Dresden. I mainly picked it due to a location – close to my business destination, outside of city center but not too far.
I don’t know if it is due to some maintenance or other but my entire stay was nothing but disappointment. Originally I booked for entire week but later on, moved to Holiday Inn – What a difference.
The hotel shares the same management and some facilities with it’s neighbor Holiday Inn, the prices are also the same but the facilities and atmosphere is not even close.
The disappointment with Best Western starts with a bad smell in the corridor, poor breakfast, off-camber beds, miniature blankets, all “after-work” facilities are next door in Holiday Inn and so on. The only bright spot is the shower.
The hotel that positions itself as a business hotel (due to booking.com), can’t be as it is! Next time I’ll try to shoot for Holiday Inn at the first place.

Room Tip: Look for it's neighbor Holiday Inn - same price, great difference
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Linda G, Manager at BEST WESTERN Macrander Hotel Dresden, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Dear sir,
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. At our Hotels we strive every day to provide superior customer service. I am sorry we were not able to do that for you at the Best Western. We will use the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we provide a better experience in the future. In Fact the Holiday Inn Rates are about 15.00 EUR higher than Best Western Rates. You could enjoy this upgrade as a benefit.

I hope you will consider staying with one of our Hotels again so that we can have another chance to provide you with exceptional service.

If I can provide any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at +49 351 8151 442.

Cornelia Batzke, Revenue Manager on behalf of LindaG
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

Room is clean and big enough .
Good wifi speed and coverage.
Breakfast is ok but may have to walk to Holiday Inn for Breakfast for some days.
Pool and Gym are at holiday Inn.
The staff are ok but not so friendly.

The night before checking out, I check with the reception to clear all outstanding bills as I have an early flight. However on the day itself, another staff inform me that I have additional bills to pay as I was checking out. This is really bad experience as I do not have time to check or argue with them about the bill as I was rushing to catch my flight. I hope they will improve on their staff service.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

I tend to stay at this hotel when I’m on business in Dresden, which is about three or four this a year.

Pros
-Clean and comfortable rooms.
-Great Wi-Fi, and it’s free.
-Location. It’s a short walk to many restaurants and bars. There’s a bus stop literally across the road and a tram stop a little further up the street which will bring you into the centre of the city.
-Nice breakfast.
-Friendly staff.
-Quiet

Cons
-The hotel has the use of the hotel next doors gym (in fact it’s basically the same hotel). Unfortunately the cardio equipment is particular poor and in a state of bad repair.
-No restaurant or bar in the hotel although you can use the hotel next door.

Although pretty basic , If it’s a clean and comfortable hotel your looking for I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

One more star if it were closer to the city. Price was right, they honored by request for a room change to the non street side. Sister property to the Holiday Inn next door, but surprise, as the "little" sister it provided better wifi/ Rooms are typical German mid range. Nothing special. WIfi (as noted) worked great.

Short walk to the Stauffenbergerallee tram stop, but still a walk. Longer walk to dining options.

I'll likely stay here again for business

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business