“One of the best city museums I have ever been to......”

Dresden City Museum (Stadtmuseum Dresden)
Ranked #50 of 172 things to do in Dresden
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Worth the price of admission for myself and my camera! My husband and I visited Dresden to learn more about the city where his father lived as a boy, before his family was forced to leave the country. This museum gave us such great insight into the city and it's history. It was designed so beautifully and thoughtfully and was really well rounded in information. We loved it! My only complaint was having to pay to use my camera inside the museum-I have never heard of such a thing, but evidently it is common in Europe-I guess it beats the alternative of not being able to photograph anything-it just seemed a bit odd. I was so excited to find a map showing a street where my father-in-law lived (which doesn't exist any longer) that I just wanted to take one photo of the map....so it cost me a couple of euros.....at least I know that it was going to a good cause..... to support such a fine museum- well worth the money! (BTW-I don't think that any of the traveler's photos associated with this listing are related to this museum?!)

2  Thank Mitsu114
There are newer reviews for Dresden City Museum (Stadtmuseum Dresden)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a really nice museum with lots of information about the development of Dresden into the beautiful "Florence of the Elbe". But also with an informative section on the infamous bombing raid of February 1945. And don't forget the external fire escape!!

3  Thank nottmmike
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This museum had great reviews, which is why we decided to visit. Good points are that the museum has a huge variety of exhibits, that, if explained sufficiently, could become a really good museum....

So to the bad points:

1. There appeared to be no explanation for the order in which one should go through the museum. The museum is on the third and fourth floors of the building, in each case on the left side and right side of a large staircase. We entered the left room on the third floor. Seemed sensible to us. But it was clear that we had skipped some history, so we asked a guard where to start (the opposite room). However from there it was a bit of a guessing game which of the 4 rooms came next (in Dresden history, chronological order), as there was absolutely no directions or explanation which room to go to next after one had completed one room. Even within one room, it was initially not clear which way round the room one should walk, and things appeared to have been set up without a regard for order.

2. Everything was in German, nothing was in English (bar a one sentence title for every exhibit). I speak German, and had to translate everything for my boyfriend who does not speak German. Still, I found the German info not that helpful, and we spent most of the time on wikipedia on our mobiles trying to understand more about each exhibit. I have to say though, that (with the help of wikipedia) this museum became really interesting, and we spent about 2 hours in it. I don't know if there is an audio guide one can hire, at least they did not offer us one when we paid at the entrance (where we spoke to the receptionist in English, not German).

2  Thank Noelle O
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Dresden is a GEM. Walking in Dresden is like discovering history,art and space.Don't miss it .Allot two days,if you intend to visit the museums which are quite an experience. Highly recommended.My colossal blunder was to rush it in one day.

1  Thank ZoiaAshdod
Reviewed 21 August 2012

This museum explains the history of Dresden. There are many scale models of the town and many buildings. There is a movie of the bombing of Dresden by the Allied forces in 1945.

Unfortunately the museum does not allow photography at all. So it is difficult to remember after a while what you saw in the museum.

4  Thank BennyMalaga

Been to Dresden City Museum (Stadtmuseum Dresden)? Share your experiences!