“it was cheap, it was better than fine. I loved the windows” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Windsor Hotel

Windsor Hotel
Ranked #49 of 118 Hotels in Dresden
Hoi An, Vietnam
“it was cheap, it was better than fine. I loved the windows”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

I spent a weekend here when all the backpacker hostels seemed full. I do not regret it. I had a single room with a single (yes soft) bed and a big (but soft, is this europe? Are they against decent padding?) pillow. But it was neat, clean and had a piping hot shower. There was a suggestion that the WiFi may fail as it was having stuff done to it but I had no problems. Yes. I am a traveller who would prefer good WiFi over a good bed.

The few dealings I had with the staff were all great. Friendly, some happy kids running around, I felt welcome.

It is a little out of town, but for the price that's fine with me. I walked into Dresden in about 25 minutes once. It was enough. Poor Dresden, maybe it was the time of year, maybe its because I had just been in Berlin. But it bored me. The surrounds though...,beautiful. Walking was a good way to see the area (yes its not hipsterville but be a tourist and enjoy it for what it is). Otherwise I took the number 4 tram from almost outside the hotel into town or the number 9 (starting with a small walk) to the Hbf station.

Oh. Its near a busy corner so the double glazing was great. Plus. Windows that open in TWO directions. Brilliant. Maybe common, but not from where I am from.

I didn't have the breakfast,not my thing, so can't comment on that,

In summary. I have done my fair share of cheaper hotels in Australia but none in Europe. But I liked this place. It gave me what I needed at a good price, and that's just fine.

Room Tip: Chose one next to me. We could be friends
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

The hotel itself was decent, the staff was friendly (also supplied us with maps and information when we asked for it) and the room was clean.

However, our timing and location of the room was quite terrible. Directly outside of our room was a construction site, where work started at 7.00. The windows barely blocket any sound, so no sleeping in if you get a room on that side. But hey, no need to set any alarms either..

We did not buy any breakfast at the hotel so we can't speak for it. There is really no need for it anyway though, there's plenty of nice bakeries in the area (where you can get a nice breakfast for about half the price compared to the hotel).

If you are looking for a cheap hotel and don't have to live in the very centre of Altstadt (it took us 8 min with the tram just outside of the hotel), this is a good option.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JesperP_88
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Hotel is in a run-down residential district, about 7 km from the Central Station. It was clean but the internet went down for the weekend that we were there and never came back on. Staff always seemed to hang around in the shadows and were not helpful in supplying maps or other information about the city.
Our room (430) was clean but right up in the roof so had to be careful not to bump head on the sloped walls. The bed was right above the elevator shaft so that the bed was more than 1 meter off the ground! Had to use a ladder to get in and getting out was tricky. Also, elevator is shut down after 10 p.m till 6 a.m. and only goes to the third floor, so those on the fourth floor have to walk up and down two flights of stairs, not easy with suitcases!
There is a small supermarket and lots of bakeries in the area so no need to take the hotel's rather expensive breakfast.

Room Tip: avoid room 430 or any others on the 4th floor
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank frohn
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2010

I stayed at this hotel for the last night of a cycling tour from Prague, and two further nights to look at the Zwinger Palace and Old and New Green Vaults. The hotel is well run and excellent value. Rene from reception was exceptional in handling requests for information and nothing was too much trouble for him. He also helped to prepare a very good breakfast, which included smoked salmon, great cheeses and breads. Although I had more to do with Rene, the manager (I forget her name) was also very helpful. The tram passes just around the corner from the hotel in Leipziger Strasse and is only about 7 or 8 minutes to the old town and the wonderful Zwinger and Green Vaults that were nothing short of sensational. I would always stay at the Windsor if I return to Dresden. Recommended.

• Stayed May 2010
Huntersville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Windsor at the end of a bike tour. The hotel was very clean, and easy to find. When we learned that my husband's mother had passed away after a half day at the hotel, the evening desk manager helped us with everything we needed to change our reservations and get back to the US for the service. I cannot say enough about how helpful he was!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Munich, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2009

We booked for 2 nights at this hotel because there wasn't much choice left - the whole town seemed to be booked out for the Christmas weekends weeks ahead. The website doesn't offer much information but I found some reviews - some reviewers were totally satisfied, others complained about the soft mattress, smoky hallway, meagre breakfast and the difficulty in finding parking on the street. The reason we finally booked was because the price was ok and access from the Autobahn was easy. Furthermore, there was a tram just on the main road which brought us right to where we wanted to be in town.
Prepared to expect the worse, we found the hotel with no problem. There were 3 empty parking lots quite near the entrance of the hotel. Being a small hotel, the lobby is of course small. There was a little bar attached to the reception desk and a small sitting area in front of the reception. Two men were sitting at the bar smoking and the whole place was filled with smoke - we felt like suffocating. Checkin was smooth, no problem. We quickly got into the lift to go to our second floor room. The hallway upstairs also had a smoky smell.
Once we got into the room everything was fine. The room was nice with a firm double bed, TV and desk. Normally, there would have been a sofa sitting area but our daughter was with us so the sofabed was made up. That meant that the room was more cramped but that was ok with us. The bathroom was relatively big and spacious with shower, double basin, hairdryer and magnifying mirror. The entrance area was also spacious with a sufficiently large wardrobe and space for the suitcase. Our room looked out into the inner courtyard which meant that it was quiet. Rooms facing the road would have been quiet too because the hotel is located on a side road. What we liked about the room was that there were hooks for your coats in the entrance area and hooks in the bathroom. Many hotels never think of this.
After the smoky welcome, we were happy that the smoke had abated by day 2.
Breakfast, in our opinion, was more than adequate. There was a buffet and it had everything a German would take for breakfast. Rolls, toast, wholegrain bread, jams, cheeses, cold cuts, yoghurt, fruit, cereals, hard boiled eggs, juices and hot drinks. This is Germany so don't expect bacon and eggs English-style. The reason why some others had complained about the measly breakfast was because the quantities of the above items laid out were small. The hotel only has about 18 rooms (or maybe less). So why would they put out lots of food only to throw it away later. Whatever was finished was replenished.
At night, the lift stops running so as not to disturb the guests. The hotel is located on the flight line of the Dresden airport and we did hear a plane fly over 3 times - only in the morning before we left for the day. Dresden is not a big city so there aren't so many flights.
The tram leaves every 10 min Mon-Sat. from outside and takes you into town. Takes between 10-15 min. depending on where you alight.
Honestly, apart from the two guests who filled the lobby with smoke, I can't really find anything to complain about. The hotel is advertised as 3 star and we got everything it advertised and we paid for!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family