“Lovely hotel in a lovely city”

Hotel Suitess zu Dresden
Ranked #2 of 118 Hotels in Dresden
Hertfordshire
“Lovely hotel in a lovely city”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Only stayed one night in this great hotel but wished it could have been longer. Our last minute reservation was handled very efficiently by Pierre who was there to greet us when we checked in. Beautiful room with great character overlooking the main square. Very comfortable indeed. We had a fab dinner in the hotel restaurant out on the terrace with a view of the dome of the Frauenkirche. All in all a great stay and have no hesitation recommending it.

Room Tip: Not all the rooms will look out over the main square so be sure to request one with a view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I echo a previous commenter's characterization of this hotel as a "funny little hotel" and another comment that the decor "borders on the decadent" -- though I saw it in a slightly less charitable way. Clearly, the Hotel Suitess *wants* to be a luxury, 5-star hotel. But it's just not. Don't get me wrong -- my suite was huge, and the bathroom had more marble than some homes do. But besides the decor being a bit over-the-top, I didn't find the service to be as "5-star" as others did. For example, the book in the room specifically recommended that I ask the front desk for jogging routes/distances along the Elbe River. But when I asked, I was met with a shrug and was told that it "was really far -- depends how far you run." Could I find the answer myself online? Yes -- but that's not the point. And when I asked for restaurant recommendations (I specifically asked for a casual place at which I could sit for a while and watch the World Cup), I was told "there are restaurants all over the square right outside the hotel." That was all.

Also, the walls (at least in my suite) were quite thin. I could hear the neighbors next door rather clearly, especially when they opened and closed the doors/drawers of the armoire . . .

Finally, upon checkout, I was charged 5 Euros for 2 cups of coffee (which I asked for at reception in the morning, as I noticed that the staff member at reception was making a cup for himself, and I was about to ask where I could go for a cup). Is this a big deal? Of course not. However, a 5-star hotel does not charge extra for coffee (particularly with no coffee maker in the room). And if they do, it is clear that there is a charge. I had no idea I would be charged for these coffees until I checked out . . .

In short, this is really a nice place in a perfect location. But what it has in decadent decor, it lacks in 5-star service. Luckily, I was able to secure a suite at a decent rate!

Would I return? Maybe. But I'd explore the alternatives first . . .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank gscooper
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Loved my stay in Dresden--wished I could have stayed longer at this wonderful hotel. Staff were attentive and very helpful. Room was large and lovely. The city has many outstanding cultural and historical sights.

• Stayed June 2014
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Me and my girlfriend loved it here. Fantastic hotel with gewreat amenities and service. The spa is very nice. Only issue (although extremely small) is I wish the WiFi service was faster. Otherwise perfect experience

• Stayed June 2014
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This hotel is truly a gem! Perfect location, great rooms, good beds, good cleaning, very friendly and service minded staff and nice breakfast. Also liked the winebar. Will definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Had a suite, and it was absolutely worth the extra money!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ragnhild
London, UK
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We booked a stay here en route to Munich from Berlin. It was a decent place to stop over, and Dresden is lovely, but we wouldn't repeat the visit. Our rooms (a suite plus a room next door - we were promised a suite with an adjoining room) were tiny, the bathroom was really small and the lighting was harsh, notices in the rooms inform guests that cleaning doesn't happen every day, there was weird music piped into speakers in the hallways outside the rooms. It was apparent at breakfast in the dining room the following morning that all the other guests were German, so perhaps this is a hotel that is not frequented much by foreigners. By the way, the staff in the dining room were charming and obliging, by far the best part of the experience. (Yes, the Frauenkirche views are very nice too.) But no way would I call this a five star hotel, as it bills itself.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank justhe4ofus
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

It is just a pleasure staying here. Everyone works with a passion and service is flawless. Rooms are very clean, comfortable and spacious. A really great experience and we'd definitely come back when in Dresden. Location is great as well of course.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple