“A hidden gem”

Hotel Suitess zu Dresden
Ranked #2 of 118 Hotels in Dresden
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We booked this little hotel (23 rooms) through the Tourist Office in Dresden at the last minute. It is situated literally around the corner from Frauenkirche Cathedral and in easy walking distance to all the major sites, the river, restaurants and transport.

Our room on the fifth floor was spacious with a fully equipped kitchen, comfortable lounge with TV and stereo, and a huge bathroom. The staff are friendly and helpful and speak English well. The washing machine didn't work so they did our washing for no charge elsewhere in the hotel.

The bed was large and very comfortable.

Breakfast in the Moritz was amazing - beautiful food and exceptional service from all the staff. The restaurant has a sky view of the cathedral and the outdoor terrace would be perfect for lunch or dinner. We were offered a 20% discount for eating in the hotel after 5.00pm.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Excellent location with very friendly staff, the carpet is a bit old & better to change it. We've been upgraded to a suite with big flat screen tv and kids love to watch football World Cup on it. You will enjoy it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2014

The room was fabulous and the service was excellent. Even better, you are right on the An der Frauenkirche right in the center walking distance to everything. the staff was a bit high-end and therefore not so warm, but not irritatingly so.

Room Tip: Hard to say if all the rooms were as great as ours. The room might be a bit warm in the summer if th...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Only stayed one night in this great hotel but wished it could have been longer. Our last minute reservation was handled very efficiently by Pierre who was there to greet us when we checked in. Beautiful room with great character overlooking the main square. Very comfortable indeed. We had a fab dinner in the hotel restaurant out on the terrace with a view of the dome of the Frauenkirche. All in all a great stay and have no hesitation recommending it.

Room Tip: Not all the rooms will look out over the main square so be sure to request one with a view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I echo a previous commenter's characterization of this hotel as a "funny little hotel" and another comment that the decor "borders on the decadent" -- though I saw it in a slightly less charitable way. Clearly, the Hotel Suitess *wants* to be a luxury, 5-star hotel. But it's just not. Don't get me wrong -- my suite was huge, and the bathroom had more marble than some homes do. But besides the decor being a bit over-the-top, I didn't find the service to be as "5-star" as others did. For example, the book in the room specifically recommended that I ask the front desk for jogging routes/distances along the Elbe River. But when I asked, I was met with a shrug and was told that it "was really far -- depends how far you run." Could I find the answer myself online? Yes -- but that's not the point. And when I asked for restaurant recommendations (I specifically asked for a casual place at which I could sit for a while and watch the World Cup), I was told "there are restaurants all over the square right outside the hotel." That was all.

Also, the walls (at least in my suite) were quite thin. I could hear the neighbors next door rather clearly, especially when they opened and closed the doors/drawers of the armoire . . .

Finally, upon checkout, I was charged 5 Euros for 2 cups of coffee (which I asked for at reception in the morning, as I noticed that the staff member at reception was making a cup for himself, and I was about to ask where I could go for a cup). Is this a big deal? Of course not. However, a 5-star hotel does not charge extra for coffee (particularly with no coffee maker in the room). And if they do, it is clear that there is a charge. I had no idea I would be charged for these coffees until I checked out . . .

In short, this is really a nice place in a perfect location. But what it has in decadent decor, it lacks in 5-star service. Luckily, I was able to secure a suite at a decent rate!

Would I return? Maybe. But I'd explore the alternatives first . . .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank gscooper
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Loved my stay in Dresden--wished I could have stayed longer at this wonderful hotel. Staff were attentive and very helpful. Room was large and lovely. The city has many outstanding cultural and historical sights.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Me and my girlfriend loved it here. Fantastic hotel with gewreat amenities and service. The spa is very nice. Only issue (although extremely small) is I wish the WiFi service was faster. Otherwise perfect experience

• Stayed: June 2014