“Exceptional value”

Aparthotels Muenzgasse
Ranked #41 of 118 Hotels in Dresden
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I was here for three nights and can thoroughly recommend it for a short stay. It has two main selling points. First the location, just a few steps from the Frauenkirche square, which is more or less the heart of the tourist area of Dresden. Just five minutes walk from the main sights - Residenzschloss, Zwinger, Bruhl Terrace and Albertinum. Second the very reasonable pricing - you get a suite of rooms for less than you would pay at a hotel. I had one of the cheaper apartments, which consisted of a decent sized bedroom, large bathroom, small kitchen (no oven or microwave, just a hob) and lovely living area (dining table and chairs, sofa and armchair).

Many reviews mention the noise from the surrounding streets. I must say it was not a problem during my stay - Munzgasse is a bustling street filled with restaurants, but if you close the windows no sound gets through. In any case the bedroom was at the back, overlooking a quiet courtyard.

There are a huge number of restaurants within walking distance, although they are all fairly similar medium-priced places - no outstandingly good ones, no fast food takeaways. And if you are planning on self-catering, the nearest supermarket seems to be at the far end of the Altmarkt shopping centre, about 10-15 minutes walk.

It's about 25 minutes walk from Dresden Hbf, along the main shopping street. If you have luggage I would recommend taking Tram 8 to Theaterplatz - a ticket from the machine costs just 2 euros.

The only two slight drawbacks were: the limited kitchen facilities - OK for a short stay, insufficient for longer; and the breakfast - you have to go across the square to a separate building, and it is somewhat overpriced at 12 euros per day. But these are minor points and overall it is an excellent choice.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Dohfar
There are newer reviews for Aparthotels Muenzgasse

Reviewed 16 July 2013

We took our time in choosing a nice place to stay and had read other reviews of this place. The little apartment was very nice - very central, clean and comfortable. Loved the little kitchen - could have used a microwave - but great location. Only problem was that our room was directly over the resturants near the Frauenkircke, and it is very, VERY noisey at night. It was warm too and so we needed to leave our windows open - not much fun hearing loud, resturant goers with a few drinks in them at 1 or 2am - be sure to ask for a room on the back or in another location - I think they have serveral locations.

Room Tip: Ask for one NOT over the resturant area.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank monicab921
Reviewed 12 May 2013

We spent five nights at the Aparthotel Muenzgasse in early May 2013 for a short holiday. We have not stayed in an "aparthotel" before (as opposed to a hotel of bed and breakfast) and found it an ideal way to visit Dresden, We will consider similar organisations on future trips away, especially if the location is as convenient as the Aparthotel Muenzgasse.

The photos on Tripadvisor show that the layout of the different apartments is not the same. Our apartment consisted of a spacious double bedroom / living room with separate kitchen and bathroom. There was plenty of storage in the main room and entrance corridor and safe in the wardrobe to keep valuables.

The kitchen was well equipped. We used it to make breakfast on most days and to prepare lunch to take away but we could easily have prepared full meals if we had wished. There is a bakery for bread close by and supermarkets on the other side of the Altmarkt.

The bathroom was spacious with a bath and shower (though I had to crouch to use the shower as the water ran cold if you held it above head height). There was also a washing machine which we did not use. The apartment was clean and tidy and comfortable. As we stayed more than four days our towels were changed once during our stay.

We only encountered the staff when we checked in (the reception is at No 10 Muenzgasse) and when we left but they were frendly and helpful. We were able to check in for our flight home from a laptop in receeption.

The Aparthotel has an arrangement with a nearby restaurant, the Gasthaus am Neumarkt, where we had a good meal one evening and buffet breakfast on our last day. It would have been possible to book breakfast there each day from the Aparthotel but we decided to prepare our own breakfasts.

The location of the Aparthotel Muenzgasse could not be bettered. It is right in the centre of the historic old town of Dresden. We were in room 403 (entrance in Muenzgasse No 2) with a view of the Frauenkirche from our window. Other appartments might not have had such a good view. The double glazing meant that we were not disturbed my any noise in the square outside. The Muenzgasse is a lively street lined with restaurants and bars outside. We ate in only one of these. We found that there is a huge choice of restaurants of various styles in Dresden and even in areas frequented by the many international tourists they tended to be of a good quality and at a reasonable price (lower than in the UK). Above all the Aparthotel was within easy walking distance of all the places we wanted to go including the Albertinum, the Zwinger, the Semperoper, the Hofkirche and the Frauenkirche. This saved a lot of time and also meant that we could return for a rest in the afternoon before continuing our sightseeing and did not need ot uyse public transport to get around the city.

The tram stop Synagoge is a few minutes walk away and we used it to get to and from the airport and also to go to the main railway station for a couple of trips out of Dresden. Trams into the Neustadt also go from the Theaterplatz which is equally close.

All in all we recommend the Aparthotel Muenzgasse highly for a visit to Dresden.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jpcheshire1615
Reviewed 4 May 2013

At first, I thought staying in an apartment/hotel meant the drudgery of home--cooking and cleaning. But it was wonderful. You can eat breakfast without dressing up, have fun buying food at the little shops or the Lidl supermarket and eat casual German lunches and dinners at a fraction of the cost. We did no cooking, just sandwiches and grazing meals, and went out to eat other times. We could go out to museums, then come back for a snack and rest, and then go back out again. The location is in the very heart of the attractions, so you never have to use a public toilet. There's a small washing machine, so we could pack light and still have clean clothes. The living room looks over the main tourist pedestrian restaurant way. We left the windows open and people were laughing and clinking glasses until 1 or 2 A.M. It's fun to hear until it's time for bed. Then, you can make it disappear by putting on the kitchen fan or closing the windows. The bedroom is in back. The bedroom windows we couldn't leave open, because the restaurants throw out bottles about once an hour. There was great cross ventilation during the day which helped dry the clothes. We used the towel warmer to dry them, too. You register in the office on Muenzgasse, then drive your car into the car park in the back where the apartment doors are to unload luggage, but you have to park elsewhere, a short walk. There's a lift. No maid service unless you stay more than four (?) days. I loved the privacy and the location. I hope it has AC for summer guests as I don't think you can sleep with the windows open noise-wise. We'll definitely go for an aparthotel next trip.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jana H
Reviewed 18 April 2013

You cannot beat the location of this hotel, in the centre of the stunningly beautiful Altstadt in Dresden. It was my first time there and I was blown away. I was also lucky to get the first sunny warm days of the year there!
I chose to drag my suitcase there from Synagogue tram station, which for me is no problem but I think some people might find it a bit annoying, especially over cobble-stoned streets. In the rain this wouldn't be fun. It is only about 5 minutes walk though and worth the trouble.
The apartment was huge, and decked out with everything I needed. There is a fully-equipped kitchen, if you were staying for a longer time then you would stock up on breakfast supplies at a supermarket (10 minutes walk). The bed was super comfortable.
I was amazed at how quiet it was - I'm a light sleeper and I can't stand being woken every hour by church bells so I had my earplugs ready! But I found I slept through it. It really was no problem.
Service was also lovely and very helpful.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank gjeva
Reviewed 31 January 2013

The location is perfect, right next to Frauenkirche. However, the whole setup is a bit inconvenient: Reception for check-in/out is in house number 10. Then, the apartment was in house number 2. And breakfast is yet in another building around the corner. The apartment is spacious, with large bathtub and separate kitchen. Bathroom even had washing machine. Overall, it seems suitable for tourists who want to stay for a few days and also make use of the kitchen. For business trips I will not book there again. Breakfast was decent. Apartment was overall very clean, even though there was some chemical smell in the corridor outside, which was not very appealing. My colleague stayed in another building and had to walk through some "Hinterhof" which was not very nice apparently. Anyway, if you want to stay super central and not spend much money, this is probably the place to go. If you have a few bucks more then I would recommend staying in a "real hotel", not an apartment like this.

Room Tip: I think the Neumarkt apartments are a bit better than the Muenzgasse apartments...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 December 2012

Stayed three nights in December, and loved the apartment and its location in the city...two minutes from the Frauenkirche. Beneath our window was the Muenzgasse Weihnachtsmarkt, with Christmas music playing throughout the day...which made the stay wonderful.

As for the apartment...two rooms, fully-stocked kitchen, bathroom with washing machine...everything we needed and more. Others have mentioned the curtain-less shower and not-always-perfect Wi-Fi, but these did not detract from the stay at all. No daily service until staying four nights, apparently, so we didn't see maid service during our trip, which I quite liked...just hang up the bath towel .

All in all, I really liked ApartHotel Muenzgasse, much less like a hotel and more like a nice apartment.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family