“Disappointing and bad night's sleep”

Mercure Hotel Leipzig Am Johannisplatz
Ranked #12 of 102 Hotels in Leipzig
Berlin, Germany
“Disappointing and bad night's sleep”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

This hotel has lots of good reviews and is rated highly as a place to stay in Leipzig, but I really don't know why it is supposed to be so good.
Yes, it is clean, albeit that the decor looks like it belongs in the 80s, but I couldn't find much else to get excited about. I had a privilege room, so the size of the room was very good. Again, the decor was functional but there were more negative aspects to the room:
- there was a general smell of sewage at certain times of the day.
- no air-conditioning so the room was very stuffy.
- the bedlinen was horribly uncomfortable. I'm not an expert, but I would say the sheets and pillowcases were not cotton, or at least had a high percentage of man-made fibres in them. I found myself waking up so often that I finally got dressed and slept in my clothes so that my skin didn't have to touch the sheets. Of course, it may be that I just have very sensitive skin, but it hasn't been a problem in all the other hotels I regularly stay at.
- the Toblerone in the minibar was mouldy.
I didn't try breakfast. At least upon check-out the gentleman at reception was a lot more polite and friendly than the sullen lady had been upon check-in the day before.
I won't stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I cannot fault the Mercure am Johannisplatz. Good location for getting into town, a modern hotel with all the conveniences you would expect, comfortable room, good breakfast and nice helpful staff.
Bear in mind: the underground car park is €11.50 for 24 hours but very good, the Wi-Fi is not free but there is free internet access on a computer close to the reception (very hot and claustrophobic) and extremely slow. At least I could do my emails and then get out quickly.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front get some noise from traffic but not too much, rooms to the back get some noise fr...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
North West England
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights June 2013 - its clean, modern and comfortable. The hotel staff were excellent as my dads suitcase had been delayed for 2 days and the reception staff were checking with the airline hourly and keeping us updated. It is well located and within walking distance of all local attractions. Eating out and drinks were very cheap, which I didn't expect. Would love to go back at Christmas as the worlds largest free standing advent calendar is in Leipzig, and is meant to be fabulous!
Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2013

As other reviewers have said the hotel is not exactly right in the centre of the city but it is only a short walk and I believe the trams near-by were well connected. The welcome I received was admittedly not particularly warm but efficienct none the less.

My room was super. Very well sized and comfortable. The standard of cleaning was very, very high and I certainly couldn't fault any element of this. I was lucky enough to receive wifi access in the deal that I booked so I can't comment on the cost of this otherwise...

I found the bakery next door very handy but did have breakfast on the second day of my stay and it was very good.

All in all I had a very pleasent stay here and would recommend the hotel to anyone travelling to Leipzig.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Istanbul
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights in a suite. The room was clean... that's all I can say about the room:"clean" nothing else worth mentioning. I must add ther was a coffee machine as well. The personnel was helpful. The location was good but considering Leipzig is such a small city it was not "right in the center". You can walk to the city center in about 5-10 minutes which was OK with me. Wi fi was not free of charge in any point of the hotel including the reception area. There was a bussiness center behind the reception with a computer and a printer (free of charge). It was tooooo slow but I managed to do an online check in, check my em ails, etc. My stay included breakfast and it was actually quite satisfactory with stuff suitable for evryone's taste. A friend of mine had to pay for the breakfast and it was 16 Euros! which was more than it deserved, at least in our opinion. There is a brothaus just next to the hotel's main entry where you can have berakfast at more reasonable prices as my friend did so.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the backside of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We stayed in the Mercure Hotel Leipzig Am Johannisplatz on our recent trip to Leipzig. It was a short walk to both the centre of the city and the train station. Free internet access was available on a terminal next to reception but it was rather slow.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Saint-Denis, Reunion Island
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Was visiting a friend in Leipzig, decided to stay there based on the reviews I had read. Expect a 10-15 min walk from the main station depending on how fast you walk. Nice check-in, quick and efficient. The room was absolutely spotless as was the rest of the hotel. Not a sign of wear whether in the bathroom or on the carpet. Very quiet as well. Very good and comfy bed too! The breakfast considering the price was amazing!!! Super service with friendly staff, awesome selection and quality. Also used the internet corner located behind the counter at the reception as I don't think Wifi was free but I may be mistaken. So yeah, highly recommended hotel, maybe some people could complain about the fact that other hotels (like the Novotel) are much closer to the station but then again the great quality of the stay more than made up for it!
Thank you Mercure Leipzig!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo