“All-round satisfaction”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Dessau
Germany
“All-round satisfaction”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We stayed in the Radisson for five nights during the Kurt Weill festival and it was excellent from all aspects. It has changed beyond recognition since we were there in 2000 and the whole hotel is now very welcoming and well designed. The hotel is in a convenient location, two minutes' walk from the station (tip: walk through the alley across the road facing the station entrance and you're at the hotel) - and if you walk through the station the Bauhaus is very near. Parking in the hotel garage was quite expensive, though, at 12 Euros a day.
We had a large airy room with free wi-fi, the beds were very comfortable indeed and the bathroom roomy. Breakfast was excellent, with a very wide choice, and the snacks at the bar were reasonably priced and tasty - we only ate once at the restaurant, but the same applied. The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful, without exception. The sauna and fitness area is also very well designed, and has no less than three saunas and a whirlpool - and free, though possibly this was because it was part of our Kurt Weill Festival package. We considered it all of a high standard and excellent value for money. If I may voice a word of criticism, it would be that the outside area of the fitness centre - much appreciated as a rule, as you don't always find this in hotels - was generally frequented by smokers while we were there, and as it's a fairly small enclosed area, we came out of the sauna and found we had to breathe in clouds of cigarette smoke instead of the hoped-for fresh air. If people really feel they have to smoke in a fitness centre, and the hotel is in agreement, then OK, but not right next to the rest of us, please. Perhaps we were just unlucky, but if it would be possible to create a small outside area especially for smokers, I'm sure that would be greatly appreciated.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I booked this hotel after research on this site and the Radisson web site. Although I didn't necessarily have a 'bad experience' at this hotel it was the poorest one that I stayed in on my 10 nights out in Europe. It was difficult to find at night, although it should have been easy since it was close enough to the main roadway that had the lights been on it could have been seen. My first impression was that the place had 'gone under' from the time I booked it until my arrival. The marquee lights were all out and 3/4 of the lights in the lobby, bar and restaurant were turned off as well. Apparently this was their attempt to 'conserve' energy and be green, but it just looked cheap and uninviting. The receptionist did turn on the marquee lights after I pointed out that they were not light, so maybe it was a failure on a timer or personnel that left it dark that night.

The receptionist was less than friendly, but did an adequate job of getting me checked in. My room was clean and the bed linen was excellent! I must say that I give a thumbs up to the staff that still irons the sheets! The heating & cooling did not work in the individual rooms so we had to try and sleep with the window open. It was a downtown hotel but it was quiet enough, if you could have closed the windows when you slept.

Unless you are staying in the really big cities in the former East Germany your hotels are going to at this standard or below. I don't know what to suggest, but when I do find a jewel in that area I will post it on here for all to see.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Winkysquirrel
Osnabruck, Germany
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Stayed there just for one night. I made a late phone booking a few hours before i got there and everything worked out well. I had a wonderful big room (see pics). Breakfast was average for a 4 star hotel. Staff was nice and helpful. Then again i stayed just for one night but i had a pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The bar and restaurant were OK and the staff were friendly enough. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and despite the fact the hotel was city centre it was set back from the main road and relatively quiet.

Having travelled to this region in Germany several times I chose the Raddison Blu in Dessau because it had everything I wanted. Air con, parking and free internet. The hotel may have individual climate control in the rooms, but it wasn't working. I'm sure it wasn't just my room as the public areas were also very warm. The internet in the room was wired only, but there was no connecting cable and I didn't have one with me because they said wireless was available. The wireless worked in the public areas.

Public parking was close by and I had no problem finding a space.

Utimately I if your chioce of hotel is based on the things they offer steer clear. If you're looking for a reasonable room with no bells and whistles its fine.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

It might be the best in dessau ( but not sure about that) but boy it's not what I expect from a radisson blu
Staff never at their station , seems like they are surfing the net most of the time , rooms must have been designed in the kremlin , we had 12 spare power points in the room???
I stopped there because it was a hot spell and it was supposedly air conditioned, but it hardly worked at all.
I would rate it at just 3 stars at best..lift your standards radisson blu this is not good enough!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Bazamat
Eastbourne UK
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Just across the road from the Opera House this hotel is clean and comfortable in an East German way. The food is OK and the staff friendly. Dessau itself is rather sad and very quiet at night. The Bauhaus museum was disappointing.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PollyEastbourneUK
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We are staying regularly at the hotel, which was built in the 90ies as a 4 Star Hotel by Steigenberger, due to economic down turn in the region it is today in Radisson hands. Suites are best deal for money, pretty spacious, located in the upper floors and still have the goodies of the past (minibar etc). In summer terrace restaurant is nice place to spent the evening.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dessau
NH Dessau
Hotel Gruene Tanne
Hotel Gruene Tanne
#10 of 13 in Wittenberg
ibis budget Dessau Ost

Been to Radisson Blu Fuerst Leopold Hotel? Share your experiences!