“Worst scandalous hotel experience ever!!!”
Review of Grenzmotel

Grenzmotel
Grenzmotel
Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Flensburg
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This review covers two parts.
1. General description of the so so booking process and hotel
2. Explanation of the disastorous payment process which left to theft and threats by the owner

Re 1.
My wife and I had booked a room at the Grenzmotel via phone with subsequent email confirmation. The hotel has a very basic web page without the possibility to book online.
At 82 EUR per night excluding breakfast, I would not categorize the hotel as cheap, given its very basic concept. Many other places offer better value for money. However, the location was convenient for us, so we decided for it.
The rooms are very simple, but with decent madrasses at least. The TV is tiny and without anything but German channels. The bathroom is poorly designed, so that it floods at every shower. However, at least there is a device available to sweep the floor. It was more difficult to dry oneself, since the hotel only provides one small hand towel per person, nothing resembling a bath towel. The only soap available was the hand soap at the sink.
The sound insulation is far from good, so we were woken up several times during the night when new guests arrived and by general traffic from the adjacent road. The hotel is used by travelers in trucks and other heavy vehicles arriving at odd hours, so once hears these pull up at all hours, including 3 and 4am.
So far, all this was all acceptable, though, since we did not expect any luxury and knew about the location.

Re 2.
The scandalous disaster was related to the payment and the owner personally.
As per the requirement in the email, we had brought the amount in cash (2 nights x 82 EUR = 164 EUR).
When we got there in the early evening, noone was available, but the key was in the door and the invoice was in the room with the request to put the amount in cash in the hotel's mail box.
There was no envelope to put any cash into, however, and the mailbox was a small open newspaper box. Anyone with normal size hands could get his fingers into the mail box and take-out whatever he wanted (see picture).
Thus we figured that it would be too risky to place the money in the mailbox, but hoped to finally see a staff person later in the day to hand-over the cash in person. Unfortuantely we did not.
Thus we found the second best option would be to transfer the money to the account listed on the invoice and send an email to the owner with the details. We did so then in the afternoon between our first and second night at the hotel. (The transfer was confirmed for the following working day). In the same email I referred politely to my disappointment with the unclear payment procedure.
The response from the owner came a couple of hours later and was truly shocking (see separate picture of his email text). He had without hesitation gone into our room and stole a bag with our valuables including passports, iPad, etc etc. He suggested to meet on the check-out morning at 10am to 'exchange' bag for money'. This would never have been possible, since we had to leave latest 8am to catch a flight from Hamburg. Thus I immediately called the owner to clarify. It turned out that he wasn't even willing to talk to me (???!). After several attempts, where he repeatedly hung-up, we called the police. They called him, too, but he continued his refusal to hand us back our bag before 10am the next morning. At this point, we were in the middle of a birthday dinner with family. The situation forced us to leave, though, and rush back to the hotel to still try to catch the owner somehow and resolve the situation.
While we were talking with other guests in neighboring rooms, who also had had difficult experiences with the owner (albeit not at this level), the owner by great chance happened to attend another room, so we tried to get talk to him.
I explained that I had the money in cash as well, and that it was critical that we get the bag back right away given our early departure the next morning. He refused me and unprovoked started pushing me instead, threatening a fight.
My wife luckely was finally able to calm him down and after more than an hour of haggling we finally got the bag back.

I have stayed at very many hotels all over the world. Never ever have I experienced anything close to this. The owner appears clearly unfit to deal with customers or people in general.
We thus strongly discourage anyone from staying at this place.

Room Tip: If you really have to stay there, get a room furthest away from the main road.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chris4592

Reviewed 29 June 2013

Inspired by the relatively positive reviews of the Grenzmotel I decided to give it a go for our road trip between Harwich UK and Uppsala Sweden. We had no time to book a room in advance but phoned the owner around 4 hours prior to arrival. We could not book over the phone but were advised that it was likely there would be rooms available. Situated outside Flensburg, we had some initial difficulties finding the place even though our Sat Nav took us very near it. It was pouring down at the time so that didn't help, and I also did not expect it to be located in what seemed like an industrial park.

The reception was closed when we arrived and had to use the automatic check-in system. This worked well in the end, but beware, not all VISAs seems to work. I could not carry through the buy with my HSBC VISA and had to use my alternative one.

The rooms are simple but functional. It could have been slightly better lit. I lacked access to wireless internet but luckily the 3G network was quite strong.

Would I stay there again? Yes, without hesitation. It is good value for money, you can park right outside the room (good when you are travelling with children) it is pet friendly and it has amenities within walking distance.

Room Tip: Room 19 allows parking 2 meters from the room entrance.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Anders M
Reviewed 20 May 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night in march on our way south. Positive surprices by the room, better than I excpected for the amount we paid. Good beds, good space and ok bath. It's a little tv, table with two chairs and a nice closet in the room. I recommend it, and going to stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 18 September 2012

convenient, good value. I would love it even more if there had been a microwave in the room and wireless internet. But anyhow I would gladly spend another night there. Good bed and very peaceful.

the room was a bit chilly when I got there, I had to turn on the heaters myself... but no big complaint... NOTE that the television is the smallest I have ever seen!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We stayed overnight on our way south. Prebooked by mail, quick response and very good information about the location, where to eat etc.. Late arrival, but no problems finding the room. Very clean, good bed and silent.
Bathroom was ok.
We didn't order breakfast but got it anyway as at "breakfast to go" basket to have in the room. We didn't regret that, actually very good for a quick breakfast before moving on.
Absolutely recommendable.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2012

After having driven for 10 hours straight, we were looking for a cheap motel at the border. We found Grenzmotel after a fast search on Tripadvisor, entered the address on our GPS, and found it without any problems near the border shopping center in Harrislee.
The reception was closed (8 PM), but we were able to book and pay for a room on a machine that hang outside the reception door.

The room was simple, but clean, and everything worked as expected. The reception was still closed when we left the next day, so we just left the key in their mailbox.

Absolutely recommended if you are just looking for a cheap and simple stay near Flensburg.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We stayed overnight here while passing through from Denmark. We chose the hotel because it was pet friendly and we were travelling with our dog.

We arrived very late (around 1am), but that was no problem as a sign was left at the reception when we arrived, indicating which room was ours. They key was handily left in the door to our room.

There is easy parking near almost every room, which made loading/unloading nice and easy.

The room was fairly spacious and very clean. The bed was comfortable, and there was a good shower. There was also a TV (which we didn't use) even a selection of wines and foods from a minibar.

We left fairly early again in the Morning and met the incredibly friendly owner, Michael, as we left.

It's a very simple motel, but definitely worth the money. We would stay there again, when passing through, with or without our dog.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple