“Not the best but not very bad either”

Hotel Kiel by Golden Tulip
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Kiel
Oslo, Norway
“Not the best but not very bad either”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

Stayed 2 nights. Easy to reach from the Autobahn into Kiel. Spacious rooms, but some of the rooms seemed worn out - they may have refurnished some of the rooms.

Staff was not very friendly when we arrived - upon arrival we were told that although we had specifically booked rooms with twin beds they only had double bed rooms. There were not much understanding at first, only "sorry but this is what we have" and then "OK, we can fix it in 2-3 hours". Arriving after a 8 hour drive at 9 PM this was annoying to say the least. In the end it turned out that they were wrong - our rooms were in fact twin bed. Got free breakfast both days for this.

Wifi were available, but on our floor only one of the 2 hotspots actually had a connection. You had to sit on a specific location in the room to get a signal.

Rooms were basic but no more. Parking in the back, but only 6 spots - far to little space for parking. They shared the lot with other companies, so the one place we found actually did not belong to the hotel. On the door there was notice saying parking was 7 Euros/night, in the room info folder it said "free parking in the back". We didn´t pay any parking fees, though.

In a hotel of this type one would expect some english knowlegde - at least basic. But in the restaurant at breakfast the maid didn´t understand the word "spoon"...Coffee pots were left on the tables from 6.30, and by 9 you can imagine how his coffee was. Breakfast was OK.

All in all OK, but needs a "facelift" and maybe a course in customer courtesy and some language training.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

We booked a double room for one night from this hotel on the same day we arrived. Hotel has a dedicated free parking area, but it is quite limited. The reception staff was professional but seemed quite busy, however they politely asked all tourist questions I had.

The double on the second floor was spacious and clean. However there was a weird chemical smell near the bed's headboard. The bed itself was comfortable and pillows were good too. For some reason we had an extra bed in our room even though we didn't request one. Also it seems this room was one that could be connected to another room as there was a door on the wall. I think one could see through the keyhole on that door to the another room if wanted.
The furniture otherwise is nothing special. Under the carpet the floor had some uneven dimple surface that felt a little odd.
There is a safe in the room.
The bathroom was ok size, again nothing really special but nothing to complain about either.
The hotel has free WLAN in the rooms but it is a bit spotty. There was only one corner in the room in which I could use it with an ok speed. It wasn' t much better in the lobby area either. But it was free and sufficient for my needs.

The room had an ok noise insulation, sometimes you could hear people on the corridor but nothing from another rooms.
The biggest complaint I had was the cigarette smoke coming into the room from the floor lobby. The lounge bar has a separate smoking room but smokers never close the door so the cigarette smell fills the whole hotel (and people probably smoke elsewhere too in this hotel) so the smell also comes in to the rooms. Eventhough the room we had had a longer entrance hall which contained most of the smell, there was some smell coming to the actual sleeping area which was a bit uncomfortable.

The staff was however excellent. We asked them to turn on the sauna in the fitness club. When we went there an hour later, it was still cold. The receptionist confessed that she had forgot to turn it on and sincerely apologised for her mistake. As an added compensation they offered a free large beer for both of us which I think is exceptional service for any hotel. An hour later we went to the sauna and it was hot this time. The sauna section has facilities to make tea or coffee but when went there, there were no clean mugs available, but this didn't bother me.

Overall for the price we paid, I think it was a good value.

Room Tip: If you're sensitive to cigarette smoke be sure to get a room not at the floor lobby.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Gavle, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

Stayed one night and you get alot for your money here! 4 star hotel and still half the price of what most other would charge you. It looks new and got a very nice feel walking around the lobby. Rooms are very spacious compared to many other hotels i´ve stayed at. Beds are very nice too. Breakfest 11€ and one of the best i´ve had. Expected good parking by the look from google maps, but the hotel had no more then just a few parking spots for thier guest on this large parking area behind the hotel! Also 5€ a day....This hotel are just a short walk down the street in front of the hotel to the city centre, about 10 min or take the local bus right outside of the hotel. Overall a very good hotel in Kiel.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking room!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Oslo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2009

I stumbled upon this hotel and stayed here one night. The room was brand new I think, and VERY nice for the price (79 EURO). Big room, nice bath, cable-tv, Internet. All in all, very good!
Nothing is perfect though, here are a few complaints:
1. Car park much to small, no vacant spaces.
2. No info about hotel in the room, had to call to get checkout-time
3. Telephone VERY modern, did not understand it, especially since there was no user help...
4. One person at work during checkout at 11 am is not enough!
5. Minibar fridge was warm...

Still, good value and would definitely recommend!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Corvette8
N.Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2009

No sign of construction activity or associated noise on my visit here.But come t othink of i tthe yhad a very worrying heavy water from the ceiling maybe 10 metres above pouring down right in front of the reception desk and the area was cordoned off for some time. WiFi didn't work at all in my room during my stay and staff weren't too bothered about sorting it out. teh car park is too small for the number of guests .They share the parking lot wit h several businesses and these companies warn that cars parked in THEIR section will be clamped. My biggest complain thas to be about the pillows in the rooms. large 75cm or 2ft square and much too soft t obe of any use to a human. Obviously chosen by a 5 ft tall design college graduate....... USELESS

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Footballtourist
Dusseldorf, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2008

To save me some time writing again about my dissatisfaction of this hotel, please see the copy/paste below of my complaint to bestwestern.....you'll get the drift!!!!

Hi,

The above reservation was made through Bestwestern.de. I have directed this complaint to you due to my lack of German writing skills, but hopefully you will be able to help.

As you will see from my reservation number, I was booked into the BW Kiel (Germany), last night for an over night stay. On arrival at the hotel it was clear that the hotel in no way matched the description found across the BW internet sites!

On first site it was clear to tell that the hotel was newly opened, and was still having some finishing touches done to it. However on entering the hotel it was clear that it was still under construction! The foyer floors were dusty due to building work, as were the foyer lifts.

After being allocated a single room (despite booking a double), I was directed to my room, and informed that the room numbers were on the top of the door frames. On entering the lift I found that again, it was covered in dust from building work. The corridor leading to my room was poorly lit due the ceilings having large holes where presumably lights should have been. My room number was printed on a small sticker attached to the top of the door, which was difficult to spot due to the lack of lighting.

The room itself was clean, but had no information detailing fire escape or hotel facilities.

I returned to reception to be told that room information packs had not yet been delivered. The lack of fire safety could not be explained. I find it hard to believe that this hotel could even open for business given the fact there were no evacuation plans displayed in either the rooms or corridors, and on a tour of the building (where I was allowed access due to building work) I did not see a single fire extinguisher. The corridors were however littered with pieces of furniture, carpet remnants, buckets of paint, and other building supplies/equipment.

Looking though the hotels details on the website I find astounding that people were actually willing to stay there!

Hotel Amenities:
Restaurant on-site - Staff confirmed the restaurant had yet to be built!

Breakfast available, charges apply, 11.50 EUR per person – Breakfast in bed??????

Cocktail lounge - The cocktail lounge was a paste table in reception decorated in ‘Becks’ paraphernalia.

Multilingual staff (English, German) – Very bad english

Foreign currency exchange – Available at a bank round the corner

Babysitting on request – Plenty of builders on hand to take care of the nippers

Air-conditioning - None

Outdoor parking – No car parking

Parking charge, nominal fee

Guest Room Amenities:

Cable or satellite television – YES (!!)

AM/FM alarm clock - NONE

Coffee/tea maker - NONE

Hairdryer- NONE

Desk/work area

Direct dial telephone

Mini-bar - Yes, but no glasses or bottle opener

Room service from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. – Perhaps room service could bring me a happy meal?

Air-conditioning - NONE

In-room safe - NONE

Wake-up calls

Sofabed, available

Adjoining rooms, available

As you can probably understand, I did not stay the night and sought an alternative. A Tulip hotel across the road claimed that 3 weeks ago, the BW Kiel was the headquarted of German ISP ‘Freenet’, and this was unfortunately plain to see. The tulip hotel was fully booked, so I took the decision to cancel my planned commitments in Kiel and drive 400kms home.

As a frequent user of bestwestern hotels in Germany I feel that although this will be a beautiful hotel when completed, that it should not be open for business. I’m certain that there a many health and safety problems which pose a danger to guests and staff, all this of course in addition to the fact that the hotel was generally uncomfortable due to the noise of construction workers and the smell of paint.

I would like you to contact me with your opinions on what I’ve said, and advise me on what is being done to make sure others don’t have to cancel trips and spend the night driving due to the condition of this hotel.

Please see attached photographs.

Kind regards,

Anthony Palmer

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank antpal

Travellers are raving about these Kiel hotels