“One of my favorites on the trip” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel zur alten Stadtmauer

Hotel zur alten Stadtmauer
Ranked #1 of 14 Lubeck B&B and Inns
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“One of my favorites on the trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

I chose this hotel based on the price and location but was pleasantly surprised to find it lovely as well. I noticed one reviewer compared it to a youth hostel, with the children's books and toys throughout the front room. I'd compare it more to an English B&B. The owners were wonderfully helpful. Although there is no elevator, we had help with our bags, which meant a lot, as we were on the road for a few weeks and had more than just a carry-on. I had a comfort room upgrade and had plenty of room and a very roomy bath with glass-door shower on the second floor (German first floor).
The breakfast room is brilliantly sunny and includes a small balcony with tables for two. And the breakfast buffet is very generous and includes English as well as German offerings, so we could have scrambled or fried, as well as soft boiled, eggs plus a wide variety of meats and cheeses and spreads. Service was very personable and one of the best aspects of the hotel
Another advantage is the location. We could walk from the hotel all over Old Town. In fact, if I were planning this trip with hindsight, I think I would have booked this hotel for three night s and just made day trips into Schleswig-Hlstein, rather than moving north.
One problem that could have been a huge problem - although we booked well in advance, and had confirmations, the hotel had received from their booking agent a cancellation for my room and had no record at all of my brother's reservation. The owners said they have had this problem several times and think there is some confusion that causes people to inadvertently cancel instead of confirming on the web site. I disagree, because if I had accidentally canceled, I would have received confirmation of the cancellation, which I didn't. I think there is a software problem with the reservations system and would strongly advise anyone booking here to follow up with a personal e-mail, confirming the reservation. Bt I must say, the owners were wonderful about it, and even called (at no charge for the call) our next hotel to confirm that our reservations were intact the.

Room Tip: I agree with the reviewer who said to pay for the comfort upgrade.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Doris R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

This is a bright professionally-run small traditional German hotel with a variety of rooms to suit different budgets. I stayed at the very top in the cheaper attic with handy bathroom facilities (no lift but stairs don't bother me). The cheerful breakfast room has a lovely view over the river; uniformed waitresses attend your table. The buffet is to die for with perhaps 50 different items, including fresh and dried fruit and compotes, jams, yoghurts, cereals, eggs, nuts, cheeses, meats, Turkish delicacies from dolmas to olives - unbelievably sumptuous. There is a cosy sitting room with an extensive library. It's a conservative place, very friendly but formal and correct. I felt quite at home.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank susie s
Lubeck
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

The location of the hotel was excellent - right in the middle of the old town and close to all amenities. The rooms were clean and quite well appointed, but I would have liked another pillow, and we weren't keen on the pervading orange colour. (However, that is just a personal opinion!) You would have to be reasonably fit to stay here - there are a lot of stairs and no lifts, but the breakfast was excellent - a fantastic choice and service was at all times pleasant and helpful. We also liked having a car park fairly close by, and, after paying Norwegian prices, five euros a day for parking was a bargain! We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Adrian T
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

This place feels a bit like a youth hostel. The walls are covered with posters and notices, doors are painted bright colours. The stairs are narrow. The lounge area is full of books and children’s toys. But it’s clean and quiet, the bathrooms pretty new I would say. The location is great for exploring old Lübeck.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dookyjo
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

We spent 3 nights at zur Alten Stadtmauer a couple weeks ago. It was our fourth stay at the hotel so you can tell, we do like the hotel. We were in room 11 (an upgraded "comfort" room) this time. I believe we paid about Euro 94 a night for the room (plus Lubeck's recent 5% tourist tax) and Euro 5 a night for parking. The room was large, bright, very clean, and quite comfortable with a couch and a couple of chairs along with a table. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom very, very clean. Overall, we really enjoyed the hotel. I think it's overpriced by about Euro 10 a night. But still, a decent value and really nice room. Our only complaints with the room itself were: the sink in the bathroom was tiny -- the size we have in our 1/2 bath at home. It was usable; just very small. And the shower has a curtain. While it was very clean; ugh, it's a curtain while many of the other rooms have the normal enclosed showers with doors.

Breakfast is huge and has many, many different offerings including your choice of cooked eggs. I've seen a couple of posters complain about the breakfast -- I don't understand their complaints in the least. The selection of breads, cheeses, meats, veggies, cereals, etc is one of the best buffets we've encountered.

Parking is Euro 5 a night and well worth the cost to avoid trying to find free spaces (which are all reserved for local residents) on the streets or a public lot. Don't bother; spend the 5 a night and walk the 200 meters to the lot.

I'm not positive we'll return to zur alten Stadtmauer due to the cost. We looked at a couple of ferienwohnung hauses around zur alten Stadtmauer and might go that route for our next visit...

Room Tip: Upgrade to a comfort room for 10 a night. The rooms are much larger
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Turku, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

Jouluinen vierailu kahden vuoden välein - eikä mikään ole muuttunut! :) Paikka hurmaa lämminhenkisyydellään, rauhallisuudellaan, puhtaudellaan ja pikkuhotellien sarjassa jättiläismäisellä aamiaispöydällään.

Väliin varoittava sananen: Talo on vanha, eli hissiä ei ole (mutta huoneita neljässä kapeassa kerroksessa kyllä!). Talvisaikaan huoneet aluksi kylmiä, mutta keskuslämmitys on todella tehokas! Huonevarauksessa kerran ollut sekaannusta, mutta ei mitään mitä ei heti saisi selvitettyä.

Teknisesti hotelli on kahden tähden hotelli (ei hissiä, osassa huoneita ei omaa vessaa) mutta ilmapiirillään ja ekstra-avuliaisuudellaan ansaitsisi enemmän!

• Stayed December 2011
Prague
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

I booked a room for 1 night this summer and since I liked it so much and wanted to see some more places in the vicinity I decided to spend a second night there as well,which wasn't a problem.The room I had the first night was already booked for the second night but another less expensive room was available upstairs, so everything worked out fine.The location is close to the old town and various restaurants but if you have a lot of luggage you're better off taking a taxi or bus from the Hauptbahnhof.The bus stop is conveniently right around the corner from the hotel.The staff whom I met were extremely friendly and helpful, which made the stay even more enjoyable.I would gladly stay there again the next time I'm in Lubeck.

Room Tip: If you would like a less expensive room, rooms with a wc/shower in the corridor are available.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo