“I had a very bucolic time at this gasthof.”

and 1 more site!
Braugasthof Papiermuhle
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Jena
Payson, Arizona
“I had a very bucolic time at this gasthof.”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I travel with a small group of [military service] aged friends every year at the end of April. I was looking to get away from the holiday inn / big city pension experience. My friends had located a Napoleonic battlefield in Jena. I screened the accommodations @TA and this stood out as meeting the needs of old geezers like us. I believe this will be the first review in English on this property, but don't let the lack of an .EN website scare you non German speaking (Americans) away. There are just enough multilingual speakers there to meet your needs, and the other folks were tolerant of me. We got the attic suite with two beds I'll rate as Deutsch soft, and my sofa bed was Ibis hard. The suite was large, and would work well for a couple with two children. I can't recommend the sofa beds for fAt Americans over the age of 40. We left the windows open for a cool sleeping environment, and that let in B7 road noise. with the double/triple paned windows closed, it was quiet enough.
Ambiance - 5 stars!
They brew probably 5 different biers at all times. we found ALL of them good, to award winning great. They also distill a whiskey. I thought it was magic, but you can google the reviews from those who tout their own palates for a living.
The food was good. German fare, with a couple of fish entrees and shrimp. There is enough vegetables for a vegan to survive, as well. There was wine, but i stuck with bier.
Bier garten was very pretty, and relaxing, sheltered enough from road noise. Ample room out of the rain, if that is your luck. The brauei is there to see thru windows, i saw no tours available of it.
buffet Frühstück is solid enough for every one who doesn't NEED a cooked-to-order breakfast. I found it very tasty, ample, and a joy to have a pot of caffe served to me instead of those automatic machines that has taken over most of Europe.
Walking and biking paths are right out the garden archway, we hiked up to the Napoleonstein, [its a stone pillar] where Napoleon spent the night before the decisive Jena and Auerstadt battles that destroyed the Prussian Army. He should have stayed at the gasthof!! The buzz was off by the time we walked a different trail back to the Gasthof. We plopped down in the bier garten and the next couple of biers war WUNDERBAR! They took credit cards and I would go there again...even with my wife!! ;) fini

Room Tip: stay away from the road, if possible. No elevators for those in wheelchairs.