“Great Hotel, Great Price”

Hotel Catedral Almeria
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Almeria
London, UK
“Great Hotel, Great Price”
Reviewed 15 July 2008

Large room booked through Expedia. Clean. Water and juice bottles available in the hall. Breakfast included was satisfying and filling. Pool is smaller than it seems in the pictures, but really nice to have. Good location.

• Liked — Pool in middle of city
  • Disliked — Pool was small, far from beach
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
London
Reviewed 29 June 2008

Hotel is stylish clean and very well situated. Room 52 has no view it looks into a central well and they have attached a plastic picture of a view to the window. Apart from that its spacious and cool.

Breakfast was lovely and the only friendly member of staff was the young guy doing breakfast who showed me some points of interest on the tourist map.

The reception staff are arrogant and self important and the bar staff are not much friendlier..

Apart from that if your going to Almeria for a beach holiday be warned its a long walk to the beach over about 7 main roads a railway and through the rather rough dirty port. Beach and water are filthy ande no nice beach side bars !

• Liked — Trendy Rooms
  • Disliked — no view
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 11 May 2008

This hotel is located in a picture postcard setting - on the main cathedral square of Almeria with its church, cafes and children playing games. The hotel itself is in a restored mansion and from the moment you set foot inside you know that this is a class act. The furnishings are incredibly stylish and our room, with its four poster bed, flat screen tv with internet and BOSE player as well as a huge bathroom certainly didn't disappoint. At only 110 euros a night the value was astounding. Some aspects not so amazing - the staff were surly even though we speak Spanish and the dinner we had in the restaurant didn't warrant the high prices. Breakfast was also average. At any rate none of these were enough to put us off and should we find ourselves in Almeria again there is clearly only one place to stay. Highly recommended.

• Liked — Thr very stylish rooms
  • Disliked — The surly staff
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank libero7
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2008

Oh dear, i can only agree with the reviewer below - i think the lady who wrote the poor review must have been suffering from severe travel fatigue.

I consider myself super picky when it comes to hotels, and this one simply didn't put a foot wrong.
First, the obvious stuff: beautiful old building, tastefully converted; very good sized rooms; lovely, restful decor; great location.
Then, the extra touches that made our stay special: gloriously silky bedlinen; huuuuge bed (superking rather than king, i think); dinner-plate sized shower head; unlimited mineral water and assorted juices from the landing fridges - ALL hotels should do this, it's such a tiny thing but great not to be faced with the choice of lugging in supermarket bottles or being laughably overcharged for small ones from the bar. Lovely little roof terrace with sunbed and a plunge pool / jacuzzi. And most of all, the staff were excellent: extremely tolerant of our shamefully poor Spanish and / or speaking English, and consistently helpful and charming - including hopping in our car to take us round to the parking lot, rather than just handing over the usual badly photocopied map with a wobbly line drawn on it, and leaving us to cause traffic jams whilst trying to figure it out.
Other stuff: I thought breakfast was pretty good considering it was included - fresh fruit, freshly squeezed orange juice, yoghurts, pastries, good selection of cheeses and hams, and variations on bacon and eggs cooked to order.
We had room 24, which had two of the three balconies you see facing on to the square. On the other side of the room was the central atrium of the hotel, going down to the marbled floored, echoing lobby. Noise, as you might expect, was a slight issue, but with the use of standard earplugs i got a sound night's sleep every night as a light sleeper; my other half isn't such a light sleeper and didn't need them.
One final thing: we tried out a few of the generally recommended tapas bars, and were largely underwhelmed - remember these are bar snacks, albeit excellent ones, and not a proper meal! Head down toward the Medina (directly out of the other end of the Plaza with the hotel behind you) and you'll see signs for the Teteria Almedina, a North African restaurant where we had an epically delicious meal (try the lamb tagine, with a jug of their mint lemonade) served by delightful staff.
Overall, we had a delightful weekend and would definitely return to this hotel.

• Liked — Couldn't fault it - oh and i forgot to mention the free internet-enabled PC in the bedroom!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank k4ssie
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2008

I actually read the review this lady wrote about an hour after it went live. I was going to respond then but thought i would rather enjoy my break first.

So here goes. The night she was talking about was a Saturday night. What the hell do you expect when you book a hotel overlooking a busy plaza in Spain???

I went to bed about 12.30 that night (shocking performance!), my room was overlooking the square but i heard no noise whatsoever. The only noise we heard was the cleaners in the corridors, they could have been quieter but the floors are marble.

I think i was in room 511 (5th floor) and it was a large room with a private terrace. It was very clean and comfortable but the bonus was the good view!

Possibly she was unlucky with a room smelling of smoke but can honestly say mine didn't and the hotel didn't. It is a fabulous little hotel and the fridge in the corridor was restocked each morning. If hers was empty why didn't she go to another floor?? I think she is just moaning for moaning's sake. Anyway the free water was nice as we didn't have to find late night supermarkets.

I thought breakfast was average but it was still nice. The hotel is well signposted, the parking wasn't tricky to find as the receptionist jumped in the car and directed me. For your information it is easy - when you see the sign for the hotel pointing left, go straight on 10 meters and the parking is on the left, quite a tight turn into the parking lot!

someone said Le Shrak (actually Sharka) is a good Tapas restaurant but there are far better. Can't remember the names sorry, but Casa Puga is supposed to be excelent. I wouldn't know as it was so heaving we couldn't even get near the door! a nice one is nearby in a private rectangular courtyard.

This hotel is lovely, stay there!!
The question I had is was it worth £30 difference a night between this and number two - The Gran Almeria. I'm happy with my choice

• Liked — stunning interior, Free internet, free water and fruit juice
  • Disliked — parking off-site but not too much hassle as it's only around the corner
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Horse2099
USA
Reviewed 8 March 2008

The best thing about the hotel is the location, just opposite the cathedral and about 10 minutes walking to the Alcazaba.

Here are the bad things: It is NOISY, constantly. There is the constant noise from the street (as I write this, there is a pack of kids making noise on the street; it's 1 am and there are constant loud cars and motor scooters driving by). This is in addition to the noise from the lobby, reataurant and hall way.

I have asthma and must stay in non-smoking rooms. My room is designated as non-smoking, but I can't figure out why as all the smoke from the lobby is constantly filling the room. The hotel's solution is to spray a heavy deodorant in the hall and the room which does nothing except add more junk to the air and adds one more unpleasant odor on top of another. Basically, I can't breathe. They couldn't change my room because they were booked and didn't offer any compensation except a "Sorry."

I have no idea if the sheets were changed before I got here as there are lots of strange little hairs on them that aren't mine.

The bathroom has an odd odor, on top of the cigarettes and air deodorant.

When I leaned against the wall in bed, the bed shot out from the wall, odd and nearly fell in between the wall and bed!

The staff didn't lift a finger to help me with my bags when I arrived. I had no idea where the room was and had to find it and haul my luggage. Fortunately, it's a small hotel so I did ok.

This is the only four star in Almeria, which is an unimpressive little city filled with scary looking goth kids wandering aimlessly through the nearly deserted streets covered in hostile graffitti.

I would not come back to Almeria for any reason I can think of, but if I had to, I would probably stay here again simply because I can't imagine what the other two and three star hotels are like if this is the best hotel in town.

• Liked — Wifi in the room, free juice available in a little fridge in the hall
  • Disliked — Noisy, smelly, dirty sheets, little fridge in hall good idea, better if stocked
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank Elissa_and_John
Rpyston
Reviewed 11 February 2008

The entrance to the hotel looks fantastic and the setting is as superb as the photos. The hotel has a chic feel and the rooms were fantastic.

The gloss was taken off by the poor room service (it was before christmas and they had a party on) and also the parking is round the corner so we had to off load our bags whilst an angry que backed up behind us (the road is one way and difficult to find - bring satnav if you have it!).

Otherwise a lovely hotel and a bargain at the price.

• Liked — The blend of chic deisgn with a historic setting
  • Disliked — Poor room service and the offsite parking
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family