“Nice, funky exterior but disappointing...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cordoba
Senses&Colours Anil Hostel
biome
“Nice, funky exterior but disappointing...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2012

Spend 2 nights there in early november. The hostel looks nice on the exterior with a newly painted and colourful facade.

Upon reaching, there was no one at the reception. Turns out they have another branch down the road so you will have to run there to call them should you not have a phone.

I think the hostel lacks basic facilities such as in-room heating and wifi is only limited to the small courtyard (that sits 5 persons at most). The temperatures plummeted and it rained everyday during my stay. However, the hostel failed to turn on the heating such that everything felt really damp and moist (bedsheets and blanket too). Together with the cramped rooms, this led to the feeling of a general lack of hygiene and discomfort throughout the stay.

Couldn't wait to leave the hostel at the end. Disappointed! Not value for money!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Seville, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Would I go there again? No.
Would I recommend it to you? No.

(Plus points both the desk staff & cleaning staff were helpful. It's central)

the walls are thin. it's Spain, people make noise, so you'll hear it all.
the shower has no screen on one side. the bathroom floor gets soaked.
painted! tiles.
no blankets on the bedroom, if you feeling chilly.
no secure luggage storage space.

next.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Cordoba hotels

Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2012

First of all, I appreciate that this place was a hostel, and cheap, and not a hotel, so I shouldn't complain for what I get for 13€ a night. However, I've stayed in much nicer hostels in Spain (in fact all of the hostels in Spain have been much nicer than this tone). The place didn't feel particularly clean, the kitchen hasn't been renovated since about 1962, and I got spots on my back after sleeping there for a few nights. Which may or may not be related to the hostel mattresses. I hate trance music and trance music was playing all evening until 11pm (followed the next evening by experimental jazz, which believe it or not was heaven by comparison). The main thing I didn't like aside from the feeling that everything was a bit grubby was, sorry to say, the staff. The two women we dealt with were surly, barely looked at us, and were very curt when we asked them anything. PS. The morning breakfasts looked horrible: plastic food wrapped in plastic wrappers. I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Moi, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in Sense and Colours. The staff was helpful and nice, and the overall standard on stairs and corridors was ok. Our room had 2 bunk beds from Ikea, a cupboard and nothing else. My wife and kids found the room unpleasant. We will look for better rooms next time in Cordoba - a fantastic destination!

Room Tip: Ok if you only need a bed.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

First of all the hostel was fine. it is centrally located, clean, the staff is helpful, and the hostel has WIFI. But to say just that does not do the hostel justice.
There is a tapas bar across the street that has good food and a very friendly staff so you will never go hungry or dry during your stay at the hostel.
But the real draw to this hostel is a lady named Maman. She is the manager who spent hours trying to secure me my next hostel. When that failed during "fiesta" time she took it upon herself to find me a local stay. This lady is a dream. Don't miss this hostel, and say hello to Maman. Tell her the American said hello.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Wichita, Kansas, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

I found this hotel initially through booking.com. It had many more reviews on that site and was highly lauded. I feel that TA's overall grade is more accurate. My experience is heavily affected by the fact that though it took me only 1hr and change to drive from Seville to Cordoba, it took me a total of 2hrs to find this hotel and then to find parking. I'll admit that I'm mainly at fault here for bringing a car into Cordoba City Centre. If you're thinking of doing this...just don't. Really. I generally book a hotel a little removed from the city centre with public transportation nearby, but it had been ok in Seville centre with a car, so we thought we'd try our luck here. WRONG WRONG WRONG. The GPS (pre-loaded map.google and a droid map app) was continually misdirecting us on one way streets. My suggestion if you have a car is to park it close enough to the hotel (better with two ppl, so one can stay with the car...and g'luck finding legal parking), and the other person find the hotel and check in. Here's where the hotel, which is fine otherwise, gets two stars docked off: They advertise free parking. Ok, now the catch: free parking is located around Jardines de la Victoria west of the hotel less than 10 min walking, which is in the middle of a major thoroughfare. Think of it as a major traffic circle but with green stuff in the middle. Otherwise, you can park on Calle Seville near the hotel somewhat....but good luck getting to it with all the one way streets, and the receptionists had no way of directing you. They sort of waved their finger over my map when I asked for directions to Calle Seville. Luckily, we found a spot on the side of the street near the Garden as someone was pulling out. I think it's free parking...I don't read Spanish, and I can only make guesses on the street symbols. Basically, it's very misleading to say that your hotel has free parking when your guest has to compete with every other Cordovian and tourist for the rare free spot in high traffic areas. Once we were settled in our room, my husband did say that the hotel had emailed him directions...we missed it, b/c we were on the road without wifi.

Now everything else about Anil Hostel is great: The location is safe, the room clean and in our case, spacious, the wifi is STRONG...shampoo and body wash are provided. The noise level is significant, but if you're staying in the city center, so it comes with the territory. The sights are all within walking distance. And the last point is the real selling point for this hostel...any closer and you'd be sleeping on the Mezquita steps. The receptionists were all very friendly, but not very helpful.

I'd wholeheartedly rec this hotel if you are looking for the best value in town...however, skip it if you have a car. We lost a day of travel, b/c by the time we were settled, all the sights were closed...not great when your itinerary is already unrealistically full. O, and they were not able to run our visa credit card through, so we had to pay with cash.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ThienLanN
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

This was one of the best places I'd stayed in during my trip to Spain and very inexpensive. I had a single room which had a queen size bed, plus my own ensuite. The staff were friendly and it was in the centre of Cordoba. I'd certainly stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo